1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS: Davis hopes to shed bust label with breakout season

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thread_Killer, Jul 30, 2009.

1. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    CHARGERS: Davis hopes to shed bust label with breakout season

[​IMG]

Receiver Buster Davis has been a pleasant surprise through the first three days of Chargers training camp after two injury-prone seasons since the team drafted him in the first round out of LSU

SAN DIEGO ---- Buster Davis has been catching passes virtually nonstop. He's been Philip Rivers' favorite target during the first three days of training camp, and has hauled in most everything thrown his way.

The Chargers expected such production when they drafted him No. 30 overall in 2007, on game days as opposed to a portion of camp reserved by rookies and select veterans.

Thanks to a sophomore season marred by injury, that hasn't been the case. He has just 24 receptions for 247 yards and a touchdown over two seasons, stats that evoke the word "bust" among Chargers faithful.

"They drafted me in the first round for a reason," Davis said after Wednesday's practice. "I have the ability to be a productive receiver in this league. I've had some setbacks, but it's time to step up, make plays and be accountable."

The Chargers' coaching staff believes judgment on Davis should be reserved, especially after a serious groin injury robbed his effectiveness and required midseason surgery. Davis put maximum effort into his recovery, claims to be in the best shape of his life and has been impressive early in camp in terms of route running and secure hands.

"Buster always looks great," Chargers coach Norv Turner said. "We obviously know what the issue is, that he's had a tough time with some physical things. Sometimes that's luck, but he's outstanding. He's had a good offseason and looks good running routes. We want him out here early to get into the flow of things, and if he stays healthy, Buster's going to help us."

The first order of business is reintroducing himself to Rivers on the field, rebuilding chemistry lost while sidelined most of last season.

"It's been good for me to get back into the mix and get a ton of reps before the other guys get here," Davis said. "It's important that I get back in the flow."

Davis was out of it quickly, dealing with a groin problem during last year's training camp that got worse during the season and eventually sent him to injured reserve in Week 10.

"I don't think people realize how bad I was hurt," Davis said. "I had a serious groin injury that I tried to play through, but about Week 8 or 9 I realized I couldn't go anymore. I am a tough player. I know how to fight through pain. It's just unfortunate that I had to have surgery during the season."

Davis dealt with injuries in the past. He struggled with a groin problem while at LSU and was banged up at times during his rookie year, when he had 20 catches for 188 yards. Davis says he's healthy for the first time in a full year, and will do everything possible to stay that way.

"I've been seeking advice from different doctors and trainers and learning how to train, how to do the small things to preserve my career and preserve my body," Davis said.

He knows that's the only way he'll stay productive and quiet his detractors, whose dissent might crescendo if promise again goes unfulfilled. David insist he doesn't listen to the criticism, and instead finds motivation from within.

"Whether I got hurt last year or not, whether I was a No. 1 guy or not, I feel I have something to prove every day," Davis said. "That's the only way you're going to get better. I have a chip on my shoulder, and it motivates me. Hopefully all this hard work will pay off on Sundays."

http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2009/07/30/sports/chargers/z5a9624e940f492a388257603000c326b.txt

2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

Maybe the Padres can sign him!!

:flag:

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Bullshit.

The guy is a ***** until he proves otherwise.

Even despite the fact that he "got injured" he still wasn't starting over Floyd, which would make him at the very least our 4th reciever. Unacceptable for a 1st round pick.

4. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    He's not on my shitlist just yet, let's see if he's productive if healthy.

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I think he gets this year, it is put up or walk time.

6. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    C'mon guys, we should be pulling for Buster to succeed. He's better-suited to play the slot receiver role than Floyd, if his groin is healthy, our offense will be unstoppable.

Let's cut him some slack. :yes:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    3 years for recievers to develop. I always stick to that.

This makes year 3. It's do or die time for Buster. We went thru this (not the the same extent w/ injuries) with Jackson, and @ the end of year 3 he finally started showing signs that he was gonna become the guy he was in year 4 and 5.

I have faith in Davis to get it done.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd like to see Buster get it done this year,if fact I hope he has a bust out type year.

9. Thread_Killer

Ratings:
    +680
    I agree. I should've added that even though I am cutting Buster a little slack, I'll be all over his *** if he doesn't step it up big time THIS YEAR.

Something like 40 catches, 500+ yards, the time is now.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Buster is gonna be our Wes Welker. :tup:

11. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    We're going to cut him?

12. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He's bigger and faster. How ironic that Welker could have been our Welker. Chamers could be our slot guy since he's healthy. Davis in tandom with Gates and Jackson could make the field a lot bigger. With Floyd and Naanee in the mix, the pass patterns become bewilderingly complex even without LT and Sproles in the backfield. At the moment, I can't think of any QB in the league with more viable options other than Brady or Warner.

13. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408

:lol: I knew that was coming as soon as I hit send.