1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers decide on.........

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Feb 23, 2016.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
  2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    Parking would be a pain and tailgating would be more cumbersome, but at the end of the day if they get a stadium deal done I won't care.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,729
    I just find it hard to believe that the Chargers once again are said to be collaborating with none other than Donna (don't wanna) Frye and JMI realty to get the deal done in downtown. It's like hiring a muslim terrorist to be in charge of the fireworks for a kid's party.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    And from other reports, the people expected to foot the bill for the stadium would be out-of towners. Hotel taxes, bed taxes, will help to pay for the stadium with no money coming from local revenues. In other words, Raydur fans will be paying for the Bolts new digs...

• Like Like x 1
  5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I can live with that. Of course I live about 1200 miles from San Diego now.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Wouldn't make it THAT dramatic, but teaming up with Frye on this is a bit of a shocker.

As long as a stadium gets built, I'm fine with it no matter where it is. But kiss tailgating goodbye and get your trolley passes ready. No way I'd park downtown for a game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Pointyearedog

Ratings:
    +1,729
    ^^^ I currently live about 15 blocks from Petco, so I would imagine it would be slightly less to travel to the proposed site if it is built East of the ball park.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I took the trolley to every game anyway.

Of course, I'd expect it to be more packed with a downtown stadium so that could grate me a bit.

As for tailgating, I don't think we'd have to kiss it good-bye. There's still lots downtown. It'd just be different and not quite as robust.

9. BrecksOnlyBoltzFan

BrecksOnlyBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +39
    If we can Keep the Chargers and lose the parking, Im all good with that.

• Agree Agree x 3
  10. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Dean is putting in 750 mil the NFL loan and 100 is included in that, hoteliers, City and tax payers are paying and voting on Convention Center. Qualcomm site will be used for SDSU

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Also worth noting, Corey Briggs and Fabiani made a hand shake deal that if LA/Carson fell through, The JMI plan was the direction they would go

12. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Bye bye chargers
    This is exactly what dean wanted
    Downtown or LA
    And I don't think downtown is right and the hoteliers will shut this down
    They want the money for a convention center not a expanded center that is too far away
    I love the Chargers but this is childish
    Dean move to la and sell the Chargers to someone that wants to stay here in SD

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Honestly Dean needed to swing for the fences and for the first time, possibly ever, Dean was not only creative but inventive.

Even with multiple unique parties involved (JMI who built the last downtown stadium and Frye who has strong Dem/Lib connections in SD), it couldn't look like this was a gift to a billionaire to use 10x/year (even if we know that's not the case).

Here Spanos and the process has done three really important things to get this passed
    1) He's tied the stadium to the further development of downtown, including more convention center space. [BTW I don't care that Comic Con says they're not involved, that event already spreads to half a dozen locations downtown, I can't imagine they'd turn down MORE space]
    2) He's also tied it to the re-zoning and development of the Mission Valley land, which has lots of people drooling
    3) The primary source of funding isn't going to be felt by the resident of San Diego.

There's a lot of details to be worked out and this will still be a tough fight but it's a great plan.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  14. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407

If Dean's main goal was just to go to LA and he didn't have serious intent on one last try in San Diego he'd already be in LA because he had that option.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    As I keep saying, if the deal was that good, he'd be in LA already.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    It only makes the most business sense to stay in San Diego and try to work a stadium deal and then decide on what's better between that and Kroenke's deal, whatever it may be.

The only way it'd make sense to jump to LA now would be if Kronke offered some kind of sweetheart deal, which of course he wasn't going to do that.

Dean's likely determined that a downtown venture is what could be better than whatever Kroenke has on the table but MV may not be.

At the end of the day with any owner of any team they do what's best for business.

[​IMG]

17. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +345
    I love seeing Ron Roberts pout, and Falcouner talk about downtown a monumental hurdle, ( no sheet), geesh get on board, or denounce 100%. Both on record upon Carson failure willing to clean slate, and do whatever Chargers decide. The Chargers hold all the cards, whether the city likes it or not. Now that's not to say if the Chargers leave to LA, life will not go on in Americas finest city, because it will, ask your coworkers, neighbors etc, from Wiscosan, AZ, Ny, boston aka all those crappy states in NE, etc, etc.

18. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Hope it works out but I'm not holding my breath