1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

CHARGERS: Defense can't be a patsy against Pats

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    SAN DIEGO ---- Ted Cottrell was on, well, the defense.

"Please don't use that story line,'' said Cottrell, the Chargers' defensive coordinator.

Cottrell was asked the difference between a Chargers defense with linebacker Shawne Merriman and one without it.

"No question that he is an All-Pro player not in your lineup and let's just leave it at that,'' said Cottrell, of Merriman being out for the season. "I don' t want to use it as an excuse, OK.''

Got it.

But Chargers fans and followers are increasingly asking what happened to the ball-hawking, run-stopping, sack-producing, hard-hitting defense? Instead, the Chargers' unit is on its heels with rankings of No. 20 or below in such critical areas as yards allowed per game and per play; passing yards per game; first downs per game.

Touchdown passes? The 10 the Chargers' rivals have is tops (bottom?) in the league.

"I don't look at the numbers,'' Cottrell said. "I just look at our execution, that's the only thing I worry about and the scoring.''

To Cottrell, the most distressing aspect of his wobbly defense is the games' first two quarters. Of the 129 points the Chargers have been hit with, 86 arrive in the opening half.

"I think we have been pretty good in the second half of our games,'' he said. "I know we got to do better in the first half.''

Good luck with that Sunday night with the versatile New England Patriots arriving at Qualcomm Stadium. Those thinking the Pats are patsies because quarterback Tom Brady is injured are wrong, Cottrell said.

"They got some players so what we are stressing we got to play well ---- that this is one of the best teams in the league, if not the best,'' Cottrell said.

"They are in the top echelon, even with Brady being out, they are still pretty damn good.

"We have to play our best against the this team. We have to play well and do what we are supposed to do.''

Which is?

"Don't give up too many big plays and tackle,'' Cottrell said. "They are a good running ball club; (Laurence) Maroney is a helluva runner and you can't arm tackle him.

"They still have Randy Moss and if you let him beat you he will get you ---- you have to know what he is doing and where he is. He was with me up in Minnesota and I've seen enough of Randy Moss do know what he can do.''

But what can the Chargers do? How can their No. 18-ranked run defense ---- allowed a season-high 167 yards last week in the Miami loss ---- get stout and force backup quarterback Matt Cassel into obvious passing situations? A healthy tackle Jamal Williams would help. And the Pro Bowler said he's feeling better after two offseason knee surgeries.

"I don't know why I keep getting that question ,'' Williams said "It feels pretty good;� steady improvement.''

While Williams has been stiff early, he claims he's not far from his usual self.

"I don't know if that's really the problem,'' he said. "It's just getting back in the groove, the football thing, because you gotta remember I didn't do any of the offseason practices� and then most of the training camp. So it's basically getting my reps and my recognitions out there. It's coming along.''

The Chargers have a chunk of highway facing them in trying to speed past their slow start. And what better team than the Patriots ---- who eliminated them from the past two playoffs, including last season's AFC Championship Game ---- to make a statement.

The Chargers have been all hat and no cattle in their last three games against the Patriots.

They've talked the talk, but the Chargers couldn't back it up in three losses.

"They know they are going to play a good team,'' Cottrell said. "There isn't a bunch of rah-rah speeches or bullet board material.

"All you have to say is 'New England Patriots' and that's enough said right there. They are a damn good team and have been for a while.''

Remember when that was said about the Chargers' defense?�
  2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Nov 16, 2005
    Tackling this season's been abysmal; wrap up y'all!!
  3. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Just come to the game ready to knock the snot out of anything that moves wearing a Pats jersey. THEN FOLLOW THROUGH.

We have to get more aggressive. No one is sweating the Chargers too much right now. That needs to change. The word for this week is hungry. Hungry for a win. Hungry for some momentum. Hungry to EARN some swagger.

I'm putting this week squarely on the D. I believe that, given decent OL play, PR & the offense will come back. Buster & Naanee are going to get playing time this week because CC is out & VJ is iffy. I believe that both of these guys may cause some serious problems for an aging D. I don't know LT's status, but a healthy dose of Sproles, Tolbert, & Hester are in order if LT is still gimpy.

On the D, I'm reverting back to my mantra of last year. Pressure on the QB. Pressure, pressure, pressure. Hell, we haven't stopped the run anyway, so why not just pin our ears back & go after Cassell? Hit him in the mouth, early & often.

Grow some nuts & smack these cheating pussies right in the mouth. Send them home quiet & humbled.

And butt-hurt. :icon_twisted:
    • Like Like x 2
  4. Lightning's Girl

Lightning's Girl Mod Chick =) Staff Member Moderator

Jan 15, 2007

Bucky, I loooooove the way you think!!!:tup:

I say: Fire Norv and put Buck in as HC!!!:tup:
    • Like Like x 2
  5. foober

foober BoltTalker

Aug 17, 2006
    We've got to start racking up first downs and controlling the ball. Since our defense is having a hard time the offense has to figure out a way to control the clock and ball. Hester and sproles time with ladanian in there as well if he's healthy. Otherwise sit him.
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Aug 15, 2006
  7. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2005
    you suck!!!

8. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Oct 8, 2006
    Haven't they said that about every game?
  9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    Not being ready from the first defensive series has to sit in right in Cottrell's lap-that's his job. LT needs to sit until his toe is right. That is not an injury you can really play through since you aggravate it every time you play. It's the same with hamstrings. The aggressiveness has to be there from the beginning. There is nothing mysterious about being able to tackle. Focus on the area between the belt line and the pubes and draw a bead on it. Don't rush-home runs come from smooth easy swings, not trying to kill the ball. Don't make your pass at the runner any faster than you can control your body to shift with the pubes. Anyone whose ever WALKED into a tree knows you don't have to be charging at full speed to ring some chimes. You hit the guy with a solid base, his own momentum will hurt him plenty. Even if you don't make a really jarring tackle, even if you don't make the tackle yourself, you can slow the ball carrier down enough for the other guys to catch up because he has to take the time to get around someone whose tracking him in balance. It comes down to discipline and focus and that is Cottrell's job as well.
  10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

True enough, RC. :tup: Your body goes where that belt buckle goes. That's what you aim for when tackling. Hit there & WRAP UP. Too many guys go for the big TV hits. Well, all of the highlight reel shots in the world don't win championships. :no:

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Jul 11, 2006
    Point's well made and taken, however we entered this season as the walking wounded. Sunday night is our Alamo, we either stand and fight for victory or go down trying. I don't see our failures as lack of good coaching, we are fielding what we have left to play with. Quite the different story if you ask me.