1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers defense "ordinary"?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Cason’s struggles typical of ordinary Chargers defense
    Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 25, 2011, 6:31 PM EDT

2008 first-round pick Antoine Cason has had an up and down career in San Diego.

The cornerback ended 2010 riding high after a particularly strong stretch of games that matched the Chargers’ defense overall solid performance. Cason has struggled so much this year that Kevin Acee of the San Diego Union-Tribunereports there is a strong chance Cason will be benched for rookie Marcus Gilchrist.

The team removed Cason late in the loss to the Jets after he gave up three touchdowns to Plaxico Burress. At first, Cason reportedly refused to come out.

“I’m not going to address that,” coach Norv Turner said Monday. “We have an issue, obviously.”

Cason’s dip in play typifies the Chargers defense as a whole. Other than Shaun Phillips, what about this defense scares anyone? :oops:

The defensive line is particularly ordinary, with ends Corey Liuget and Vaughn Martin struggling. 2009 first round pick Larry English is not getting on the field because of a foot injury.

The team is 25th in yards-per-carry allowed and 18th in points allowed. This is despite playing a very underwhelming group of offenses.

We made the case two weeks ago that it was a good sign the Chargers were winning when they weren’t particularly playing well.

But they might want to start playing well eventually.

2. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    i think our offense is hurting our defenses performance more then anything out.. our offense forces our defense to bail us out a lot of times because of turnovers committed on offense

3. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    They aren't ordinary....that would be a step up. I sure hope they get it fixed.....soon!

• Like Like x 2
  4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Yeah, I am ashamed that I was actually excited to have Manusky

5. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Why Shaun Phillips doesn't have Pro Bowl in he's Career still surprises me.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Really? Doesn't really surprise me. He has had good year, but none where I felt that he was among the best in the NFL

7. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Our D is v ordinary. Imho the best player there might be Butler.

8. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Perhaps not a first selection but a back-up for sure imo.

9. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    There's a few good players on the team but its not a very good defense

10. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    Right now the ENTIRE TEAM is decidedly ordinary.

(although, I guess it's good times when we can complain about THAT...most
    of my previous decades of Charger fanship were spent looking UP at "average")

11. exodus

exodus Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    With a few exceptions, most defenses in the NFL are rather ordinary. The problem is that the Charger defense is also uninspired. Nobody can ever convince me that the Jags defense isn't as sub-par/ordinary as anyone else, but they sure found a way to play. The Charger D just doesn't have much pride IMO.

• Like Like x 1
  12. NORV4LIFE

NORV4LIFE NO MORE NORV!!!!!

Ratings:
    +58
    So true. It seems like before every game someone has been slipping Valium into the team's gatorade. THe team just doesn't even seem fully awake even in late games at home.