1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers did not use franchise tag

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Workplay, Mar 5, 2012.

1. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
  2. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Why overpay for one year if you don't have to? Jackson likes it here, and is willing to stay if the Chargers make a competitive offer. A lot of players resent being franchise tagged. Now, he gets to check the market and see just what is value is right now.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Not very surprising, only Jackson would potentially be tagged and he would've cost an obscene amount of money

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    $13.7 Million, to be precise.

5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Bears expected to make run at free agent Vincent Jackson
    Posted by Evan Silva on March 5, 2012, 6:33 PM EST

The Chargers haven’t given up hope of re-signing free agent Vincent Jackson, but refusing to franchise tag their No. 1 receiver suggests they’ve at least prepared for the possibility of losing him. Jackson is easily the best wideout left on the market, and will command top dollar if he makes it through the next eight days unsigned.

Both Vaughn McClure of the Chicago Tribune and John Clayton of ESPN believe the Bears will be aggressive pursuers of Jackson if he hits free agency.

McClure explained on Twitter Monday that the Bears were targeting Jackson and defensive end Cliff Avril in advance of the franchise tag deadline. Avril was tagged, but Jackson wasn’t. McClure anticipates Chicago making a push for Jackson.

Clayton also tweeted Monday that he believes the Bears will “make a big run” at Jackson.

At 6-foot-5 and 230 pounds, Jackson would easily be the biggest receiver on Chicago’s roster. Currently, the Bears’ biggest receiver signed for 2012 is 6-foot, 206-pound slot receiver Earl Bennett.

6. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    With other WRs signing deals with their teams only makes VJs price go up. AJ should have been negotiating with VJ.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    And how do you know he wasnt? Because the press never mentioned it?

8. Workplay

Workplay scompl

Ratings:
    +66
    I have to admit, VJ could put the Bears over the top.

9. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    I'm not too concerned. VJ says he wants to be here. AJ says he wants him here. No way was the tag going to be used and VJ & his agent knew this. If da Bears want him, they'll make a bid for him. If what VJ & AJ says is true, a counter offer will be made. If the Chargers didn't want him, then they wouldn't have tagged him last year and paid him over $11 Million.

Now if the Bears or any other team make him a ridiculous offer of say, 4 years $50-60 million, he's gone and the Chargers won't come near that number. But if the offers are close, VJ may just stay in SD, taking what they paid him last year.

But as usual, I might be wrong. Just ask my wife. :roflmao:

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'm concerned. There is a reason teams like the Bears, Redskins, Patriots, Rams, Vikings, 49ers etc... are interested in Vincent Jackson, they realize they need a #1WR.

If we let one walk away you can bet that next time one comes around we'll either enter the bidding war, or AJ will burn more 1st round picks like Buster Davis trying to find one. Unless we land a big FA like Mario Williams or Carl Nicks with the money we save we can only go backwards from losing Vincent Jackson.

And next year if Gates declares he can't play on his ailing foot anymore, we'll be in serious trouble.

11. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    AJ says he wants VJ here. VJ says he wants to be here. Like I said, if none of that were true, the Chargers would NOT have tagged him last season and paid him $11 Million.

As for Gates, if he was going to have any problems with his foot, it would have shown throughout last season. Instead, he sat out 3 games (I think), still scored 7 TD's and lead the team in receptions. I'm not worried about him.

12. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    And if any team does pay VJ that amount that team most likely wont be a play-off contender as VJ would be comanding so much of the salary cap.

Bye the way, you wife says your wrong.:tup::roflmao:

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,584
    True, and VERY true.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Don't worry, AJ will spend that #1 pick on a TE to replace Gates, when the talent pool for TE's is at it's lowest point. ;)

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ SMITH - “First of all, we always do what’s in the best interest of the Chargers,” Smith said. “As for my relationship with Vincent through all this, it’s fine and always has been. As far as Mr. Schwartz and Mr. Feinsod are concerned, their words about me to the media last year were very hurtful. Because of it, my therapist feels I will be emotionally scarred for a considerable amount of time. But I’m doing well. I’m kind of dealing with that on a day-to-day basis.” :roflmao:

http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2012...tionship-status-close-resolut/?page=2#article

16. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    My main concern at this point is that now, with the exception of Meacham, Nicks, Jackson, Williams, and Wimbley, all the top FAs are off the market. If we don't sign any of these players, how exactly is the team getting better?

Not using the Tag is somewhat "meh" to me. There wasn't really anyone on the roster in need of tagging, although it might have been worthwhile to tag Gaither. What's the tag number on linemen again?

17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Take it for what it is worth, but according to this site, the tag price for a OL was $9.4 mil.

18. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Looks like Mario Williams' future is outside of the state of Texas, after what the Texans did and the Cowboys tagging Spencer. If we don't sign VJ and go out and grab Williams looks like will be drafting and pursing FA's differently.

19. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The FA WR market is now VJ and Meacham, followed by a bunch of number 2s wanting to be paid like 1s and 3s wanting to be paid like 2s.

All of the 2nd tier OLB FAs (except for Wimbley) were either tagged or signed to long term deals. That pretty much makes it Williams and Wimbley (assuming Oakland doesn't lock him up before he hits the market). I think both of these guys are going to come with monster price tags.

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    It's possible that Dwight Freeney may not stay in Indy either.

21. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    This season? I didn't think he was a FA, or are you talking cap casualty?

22. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Yeah, a possible cap casualty...... and he doesn't have an agent.

Freeney could be out in Indy, too
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 6, 2012, 1:31 PM EST

On Monday, Silva pointed out that, with the Colts giving defensive end Robert Mathis a new four-year, $36 million contract that kicks out $17 million in 2012 alone, the team now has more than $30 million tied up this year in a pair of defensive ends who are on the wrong side of 30.

But they may not have that problem for long. Dwight Freeney is entering the final season of a six-year, $72 million contract. He has a base salary of $14.035 million, and (per a league sourcce) a cap number of $19.035 million.

Freeney, as a result, may be out.

Of course, he could agree to take less money. But the problem is that he currently has no agent. Gary Wichard died on March 11, 2011, the same day the lockout started. He has not, we’re told, hired a new agent.

So, unless they intend to pay Freeney $14.035 million this season, the Colts will either have to negotiate a reduced contract directly with Freeney, or they’ll have to hope he finds a new agent. If Freeney were inclined to take a pay cut, he presumably would have hired a new agent by now.

Either way, the change in Indy may include not only the team’s highest-profile offensive player from the last 15 years, but also the most important defensive player of the last decade.

23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Is Freeney worth shelling out 10+ mil for in the hope that he can become a 3-4 OLB? This is as questionable to me as Mathis, and probably more expensive for us.

24. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Mario Williams doesn't have much experience as a 3-4 OLB either....... not a lot of good FA 3-4 OLB's this year.

25. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Draft wise the ones we want (Perry, Ingram, Curry, etc w/exception of Upshaw) need to be converted from DE to OLB as well. I could almost see us picking up an OLB in FA and in the Draft, we need some extra help with Phillips and Barnes. And frankly Williams has the advantage that if, not pushing for this but stating it in the realm of possibility, AJ and Norv go after this season, and our new coach moves us back to a 4-3, then Williams could move right back to his old spot.

26. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I mean, this isn't debatable at all, but some experience, where he was successful with it, is more than none, which is what Freeney would have. Freeney strikes me as a guy who would be as expensive if not more, while being older and an unknown quantity at the position.

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,413
    No way would Freeney be as expensive, or more than Mario Williams....... Freeney is in the twilight of his career, Williams is still a young player..... 5 years makes a big difference.

28. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    How much was Peppers?

29. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    http://sports.espn.go.com/chicago/nfl/news/story?id=4969071

6 years, 91 million. He was 30 when he signed the contract, and Freeney won't be taking less, considering that their the same age, and Freeney has more career sacks. The length may not be the same, but the cap hit / year probably will be.

30. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    there saying Freeney will follow the Manning posse. which includes, Wayne, Saturday, Clark and possbily Stokely.

Williams was a beast in the 3-4 in the 5 games he played. 11 tackles, 5 sacks and a forced fumble. So to say he isn't experienced is an understatement.

We could also still draft a guy like Jonathan Massaquoi, Brandon Lindsey or Shea McClellin..