1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers did the Steelers a favor

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Sydalish, Jan 4, 2009.

1. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    Chargers did the Steelers a favor

Ron Cook
    PITTSBURGH POST-GAZETTE
    4:25 p.m. January 4, 2009

At the risk of violating Mike Tomlin's most sacred rule – sorry, Coach – let's look ahead and ponder a couple of delicious questions:

How would you like another Pittsburgh Steelers-Baltimore Ravens matchup at Heinz Field in the AFC championship game on Jan. 18?

And:

Are you ready for a little more bounty talk and Spitgate revisited?

It's going to happen.

Write it down.

Wild-card weekend couldn't have turned out much better for the Steelers. Because of the results, they get a relatively weak opponent – the San Diego Chargers – at home Sunday in their first playoff game and won't have to go to Tennessee for the AFC title game. The Baltimore Ravens are going to take out the Titans on Saturday.

Write that down, too.

The Chargers did the Steelers a favor Saturday by beating the dangerous Indianapolis Colts, 23-17 in overtime, thanks, in large part, to two defensive holding penalties and a facemask personal foul against the Colts on the Chargers' winning drive. Better that the Chargers come to Heinz Field – especially if injured star running back LaDainian Tomlinson can't play – than the Colts with the great Peyton Manning.

Then Sunday, the Ravens embarrassed the overmatched Miami Dolphins, 27-9. Clearly, they are better right now than the AFC's top-seeded Titans. Heck, they just might be good enough to beat the Steelers at Heinz Field, but who wants to waste time worrying about that now?

I'm going to cite Tomlin's don't-look-ahead rule on that one.

You can argue a home game Sunday against the Dolphins would have been the Steelers' easiest path to the conference championship game and I won't disagree. The Dolphins were the worst of the AFC teams playing this past weekend. We also lose a little entertainment value with the Chargers as the opponent. It would have been great fun watching Dolphins linebacker Joey Porter squawking at Ben Roethlisberger and Willie Parker.

Oh, well.

What's important is that the Chargers also are a lesser team than the Steelers. They were an 8-8 club that made the playoffs only because the Denver Broncos gagged down the stretch. I don't buy that they're hot at the right time with five consecutive wins. I might buy it if Tomlinson were healthy, but he left the Colts game early with what appears to be a serious groin injury. It's hard to imagine backup Darren Sproles running for 100 yards against the Steelers the way he did against the Colts. Certainly, there's no way he gets 178 yards in kickoff and punt return yardage against the Steelers' coverage units.

Philip Rivers is a fine quarterback, better than fine if you look at his NFL-best 105.5 passer rating and 34 touchdown passes. But he struggled big-time in an 11-10 loss to the Steelers on Nov. 16 at Heinz Field. Steelers safety Troy Polamalu and linebacker James Harrison had interceptions, and Harrison sacked Rivers for a safety. Rivers' passer rating was a season-low 44.4. It didn't help that, even with Tomlinson, the Chargers rushed for just 66 yards.

The Steelers, meanwhile, had one of their better offensive days, although you wouldn't know it by the score. They had the ball for a season-best 36 minutes, 31 seconds. Roethlisberger threw for 308 yards with no interceptions. Parker ran for 115 yards on 25 carries. Wide receiver Hines Ward had 11 catches for 124 yards. Blame the Steelers' season-high 13 penalties for 115 yards and tip your hat to the Chargers for keeping the outcome in doubt by sacking Roethlisberger four times and stopping running back Mewelde Moore on fourth-and-goal at the San Diego 1. But the Chargers won't be able to survive that kind of domination Sunday.

So, as long as the game doesn't come down to the punters did you see the way the Chargers' Mike Scifres kept pinning back the Colts? I'll still take the Steelers, despite Scifres' edge over Mitch Berger. Here's one final thing to write down:

This isn't the last time you'll be seeing Berger's name in the paper. He'll be front and center in the news when the Steelers and Ravens play in the AFC championship game because he accused the Ravens' Frank Walker of spitting in his face in their game Dec. 14 in Baltimore. So will Ward, the object of any number of bounties over the years by the Ravens players.

I can hardly wait.

Sorry, Coach Tomlin.

2. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    This guy is going to be very surprised come Sunday night.

3. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    I can hardly wait :yes: Please, underestimate us, we like it that way.

4. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Are we going to have to break out the "EMBRACE THE HATE" mantra? I mean are they TRYING to get us all pisssssed off?

5. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    This guy sounds SCARED to me. Bringing up all the weak arguments why the Bolts are a lesser team. Be afraid Steel City, it's going to be 1994 all over again.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Typical home town reporter. Tomlin knows better. :yes:

11 points won't get it done this time, Ben. :no:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    LOL

Bulletin Board material!

It'd only be better if it came from one of their players instead of a sports writer in the city.

8. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    AHHH YESSSSS.... PLAYOFF HATE.

EMBRACE IT! :abq2:

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Too late - Porter is in Miami. :icon_tease:

10. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Sure we've never beat the Steelers in Pittsburgh during the regular season. However, we are 2-0 against them in post season in Pittsburgh. Playoffs in 1982 and 1994.

• Like Like x 1
  11. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    No, I wont be there this time :no:

12. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    This guy sounds like the Indy Star reporter from last year who was talking about how lucky the Colts were to play the Chargers. All I can say is bring it. This game on Sunday will not be easy, but it's very winnable. Pittsburgh is not all that.

13. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    THIS WRITER IS GOING TO BE HATED IN PITT. ON SUNDAY NIGHT!

• Like Like x 1
  14. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    A lot different from '94 for me, the *** beating the cerran wrap curtain suffers this week will be expected.

15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I've heard a few Steelers fans say that their glad we won because they feel they match up better against us than the Colts.

Though those Steelers fans also said that if we get past them, they hope we take it all!

16. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    :icon_toast: Just that: a Heinz homefield reporter

it will be a very strong game - but winnable.

17. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Did this guy forget they beat us by 1 point a few weeks ago?

• Like Like x 1
  18. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    And we're playing slightly better than we were then.

19. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

Once again I hate to be the one to bring up the negative, but they kicked our *** in that game even though the score doesnt show it.

They doubled us in total yardage and the only reason it wasnt a blow out is because the penalties were HEAVILY lopsided ion our favor. That was the week everyone was talking about fixes in the NFL because it looked as if the refs were keeping the score close.

20. SteelersDave

SteelersDave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    As a Steelers fan I would of preferred the Colts....we know how to rattle Manning, and they only beat us by an unfortunate bad play. I think the Chargers match up with us much better....now for the comment about "saran wrap curtain"....you know the truth. :yes:

I live in Raleigh, NC and watched Rivers play quite a bit. You have yourself a helluva QB!

21. Golfboy

Golfboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Stop it man, how are we suppose to hate you if you keep talking all rational and stuff???

The guy that wrote that story has a screw loose. The Steelers beat us by ONE POINT last time around, when we were playing poorly.
    I think he's gonna be unpleasently surprised.

22. boltssbbound

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Phuk yards. It's about points. We had a great goal line stand in that game and did not allow a TD. You can pee on everyone's parade all you want. But you're blind if you don't think we're playing better now than we were then. The run blocking is vastly improved. And the defense is playing alot better.

23. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Lets hope so.

24. SteelersDave

SteelersDave BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    I worry more about Gates. We tend to give up passes in the middle and he is a physical dude that can break through some tackles. Nobody runs on us....3 100 yard performers in the last 5 years, not saying it can't happen, but it rarely does. We rarely give up big plays, but the dink and dunk seems to get teams to the red zone a bit too frequently. I envision a lot of screens and slants coming our way. I am not overly concerned about your offense scoring a lot on us, but concerned about ours being able to score much on you. I think it may be a 17-14 game, maybe 21-17 at the most. Shame we are not meeting in the championship game, really dislike the Titans, and obviously the Ravens are our arch nemesis. I wish I could hate your team, but aside from the '94 heartbreak (which I blame on us overlooking you, and having O'donnell as a qb) I like the organization, and can root for Rivers being a Raleigh, NC guy. I am hoping for a Steelers vs Panthers SB as most people I know are Carolina fans.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    Sproles ain't going for 100 rushing in this one unless your D-line dies in a fiery train crash on the way to the game.

I think we're wise enough to know that.

However, a mix of RBs may be able to get close this time around.

Norv may need to have someone else handle return duties this week to keep Sproles fresh. This should reduce the likliehood of him fumbling as he gets tired.

I expect Legedu Naanee to get more touches in the passing game. Probably working out of the backfield underneath and behind those LBs.

17-14 sounds about right.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Whistling past the graveyard.

27. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    whatever. Stealers going down. Chargers going to afc championship game.

28. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I assume you've seen what Sproles can do with a screen or a slant. We have a lot of ways to attack a defense and Roethlisberger hasn't faced what Manning faced last Saturday, and I expect you'll take the outcome with the requisite grace in defeat.

29. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I don't want Sproles' responsibilities as a kick returner taken away from him in order to give him carries on the ground. Give the carries to Tolbert, Hester, and Bennet in the cold, and let Sproles have an impact on the game in the passing game, return game, and the ten or so carries he should get at various points throughout the game. I think that giving him 25 carries against this defense would hurt him in the areas that he's most dangerous at.

30. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    He did it all last week. You couldn't do this for a season, but for a four game run for all the marbles, it's possible. On the other hand, besides four fingers, Flash or Cro can run returns.