1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers dig deep to prepare for Dolphins' offense

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Oct 3, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Two weeks ago the Miami Dolphins pulled off an impressive road win in New England, thanks in large part to a new offensive wrinkle. But Dolphins running back Ronnie Brown and company won’t be able to rely on the element of surprise Sunday against the Chargers.

“We’re going to be prepared,” Bolts defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell said.

At New England, the Dolphins scored four touchdowns using their single-wing, “Wildcat” offense. The formation involves Brown behind center in a shotgun formation and running back Ricky Williams and quarterback Chad Pennington split out wide. Typically, Williams sprints in motion toward the center of the field. Once Brown receives the ball, he can either run it himself, hand it off to Williams, or as he did once against the Patriots, throw down the field.

Against New England, Brown took six direct snaps. He kept the ball on three of them: a two-yard touchdown run, a five-yard score and a 62-yard touchdown run. Twice he handed off to Williams for gains of three and 28-yards respectively. Once, Brown rolled to his left and threw a 19-yard touchdown pass to tight end Anthony Fasano.

Those are the basics, although the formation lends itself to plenty of other options.

“We’ve just scratched the surface of really what we were trying to do,” Dolphins Head Coach Tony Sparano said last week. “We didn’t go in there with 30 plays’ worth of what we’re trying to do out of this package.”

The Chargers prepared for the formation last week prior to playing the Raiders because Oakland had shown the look in previous weeks. Dolphins quarterbacks coach David Lee frequently used the “Wildcat” when he was the offensive coordinator at the University of Arkansas, and the Raiders have utilized former Razorback Darren McFadden in the shotgun.

“It’s a wrinkle that you have to prepare for,” linebacker Matt Wilhelm said. “We’re spending time talking about it. We’re spending time working on it. We’ve even gone back this week and watched film of Arkansas from the last couple of years. We want to be ready for anything they can throw at us.”

Oakland only went to the formation once, likely because McFadden was slowed by a foot injury, and the Raiders gained just two yards on McFadden’s keeper.

“We were ready for it and we will be again this week,” linebacker Tim Dobbins said. “It can be tough because they have two really good backs handling the ball and they can do a lot of different things. You’ve got to be very disciplined.”

Chargers defenders also pointed out that simple football fundamentals go a long way towards slowing any attack.

“The Patriots missed some tackles that really hurt them a couple weeks ago,” Wilhelm said. “They had guys in the right place but once (the Dolphins) broke a couple tackles they were off. We’ve got to make sure we’re fundamentally sound.”

The Bolts will also point out that while their new wrinkle helped, the Dolphins were also aided by a nearly flawless performance by quarterback Chad Pennington, who completed 17-of-20 passes against New England.

“We’ve spent time preparing for all the runs and things, but we’ve also had a good week of practice focusing on their entire offense,” safety Clinton Hart said. “Chad Pennington is a good quarterback. They’ve got some weapons. We’ll be ready for everything.”

Chargers.com

2. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Lets kick some Dolphin ***!:yes:

3. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    Im sure alot of charger fans chuckled a little when they read that coming from HIM

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Hey Fat Teddy!!

JUST GET IN THERE AND BLOW SOME SHIIT UP!!!!

COME ON !!!!

:icon_twisted::icon_twisted::icon_twisted:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Gridreaper

Gridreaper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    ...Oh, okay. I feel safe now :no:!

Teddy, the last thing you've ever brought to this defense is preparation. Adjusting on the fly and in panic mode would be a little more accurate.

6. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm not too concerned about the defense. They started out slow last season and looked good last week.

Obviously they miss Merriman but are learning how to get the job done without him.
    Having Cooper back will be a huge boost!!!

7. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    My biggest concern regarding the defense remains our fatass DC. :icon_evil:

8. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Yeah. Ted stared out the same way this season as last season.
    Prevent, no blitz, no pressure on the QB.

He finally grew some nads, called blitzes, and allowed our LBs to get to the QB. That's all he had to do in the beginning.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Every opponent requires different defensive approaches. I realize that. Being overly aggressive can get you burnt just as badly as being too soft in coverage.

I think that my biggest complaints about Fat Teddy are that he seldom seems to have the defense prepared from the start of the game & that he allows the opposing offense to dictate the tempo far too often.

10. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    I think you mean tail.:lol:

11. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Chum the Fish.

12. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    I am looking forward to big plays and a win!!!!!!!!!!:tup::tup:

:bolt::bolt::bolt: GO CHARGERS :bolt::bolt::bolt: :flag:

13. megold0715

megold0715 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +70
    guess they didnt did deep enough maybe teddy was too busy diggin in his a$$ he needs to dig in his pants for a pair of nuts

• Like Like x 1
  14. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:

15. megold0715

Ratings:
    +70
    im trying to make myself laugh its been such a rough weekend

16. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    I know what you mean. I took a flogging in the stock market.

17. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    So, the Chargers forgot about "simple football fundamentals" ?

18. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362

Exactly...it is as simple as that!

19. megold0715

Ratings:
    +70
    i hear ya thats rough i would have rather have that happen tom me though its probably not the right place to say buy the mrs. had a mis carriage i was in all sorts of depression already real life **** sucks sometimes

20. WyomingBoltFan

Ratings:
    +312
    Sorry to hear about that. I feel for you. My wife and I experienced a miscarriage too. It really shook us up. Your situation really puts things in perspective. My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your wife.

21. megold0715

Ratings:
    +70
    thanks were goin to go at it again it was just every day i got more and more excited i will be at the game next sunday ready to rip someones head off and screa at the top of my lungs

22. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Wish I could be there with y'all, Bro!! :)

23. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I think the Chargers were digging deep all right. Digging further into the hole they've made for themselves this year.

24. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    Is it possible LT has peaked and is on the downside of a great career?

25. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    Is it possible Matt Cassell has peaked and is at the end of a great career? :icon_huh:

26. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Possible, but one could also wonder if Brady will be the same after coming back from his injury. Season enders are serious business.

27. Buck Blincoe

Buck Blincoe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +207
    You have no argument from me, but I thought the issue is LT. I'm not here to make trouble. I'm well aware of the Patriots shortcomings, but after watching LT for what has been this season and every other season he has played, I believe he has probably already seen his most productive years. That's just an honest opinion.

28. ChargerPessimist

ChargerPessimist Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +25

...DOP!

[​IMG]

29. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    np

but LT is NOT our problem.