1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers dispensed steroids during 1963 training camp??

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Jun 26, 2008.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/26/sticking-a-needle-in-the-steel-curtain/

It might surprise you to learn, for instance, that the San Diego Chargers were being dispensed steroids during their training camp in 1963. Ron Mix, the Chargers' great offensive tackle, wrote a camp diary for Sports Illustrated that year, and the July 22 entry read: "Immediately after lunch a special meeting was held, and [coach] Sid [Gillman] introduced Alvin Roy to the squad. Alvin Roy, Sid said in his introduction, represented what every pro football team would have in the future: a strength coach. "After the meeting, the squad went to an open area beside the dressing room where weight-training facilities had been set up. Mr. Roy demonstrated the exercises that we would be doing each day and then checked the squad individually to make sure we were using the proper technique." Only recently did Mix reveal to journalist-author Matt Chaney, "They had [steroid] pills set out in cereal bowls. We were told to take a pill after every meal, and we did. And they actually worked. Normally in training camp, I'd feel my strength going down, but it actually increased."

• Like Like x 1
  2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Well, there was nothing else to do out there in Boulevard .. :D

3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I covered this in my MA thesis about 15 years ago. There's a copy on file in the Hall of Champions. Guys who didn't take them were disciplined. They were given other stuff as well and not told what it was. Everything was called vitamins and supplements.

4. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    There has been rampant steroid-use in the NFL (and probably every pro sport) for a loooooong time. If you don't think so you're being naive. I remember watching educational videos when I played football in the mid-eighties warning of the dangers of steroids. Ironically, these videos were so stupidly done that they actually made it sound like steroid use was a virtual guarantee of athletic success. The message was "yes, steroids might get you that scholarship or that fat contract, but is it worth the health risks?" And that's the dumbest way to present it to hungry teenage athletes who want nothing on earth more than that scholarship and to be put on the path to eventually getting that fat contract. It actually made a lot of guys want to use steroids, because "you might suffer some adverse health effects twenty years from now" really isn't that big of a disincentive to a seventeen year old.

• Like Like x 1
  5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I took steroids when I was in high school.

hehe they were to help heal an injury though :p

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    you didn't look that big to me, in fact you looked kinda scrawny :icon_rofl:

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Have any of you read, First Down and a Billion. The Funny Business of Pro Football. By Gene Klein? :tup:

8. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    no what's it about?

and i know steroids were not really thought harmful but frankly if they were just handing them out like candy I think it might taint some of the past accomplishments

9. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Yes, good read. In fact, I was looking for it about a week ago and couldn't find it. I have to figure out which of my Charger fan pals I loaned it to.

10. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    It wasn't me! :no:
    I have my own copy! :yes: