1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers don’t have the juice to beat the Colts

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22532437/

By Steve Silverman
    MSNBC contributor
    updated 10:23 p.m. PT, Sun., Jan. 6, 2008

There is joy in Mudville ... um … San Diego. The Chargers have won a playoff game.

For the first time since their improbable 1994 run to the Super Bowl, the Chargers have won a playoff game. That team had Stan “The Man” Humphries at quarterback and Natrone Means at running back. This team has Philip Rivers and LaDainian Tomlinson leading the way.

And now, they face the Colts.

With a 23-21 victory over Indianapolis earlier this season, the Chargers should feel confident. But unless Rivers gets a dose of maturity and inherits a big-league arm in the next seven days, the Chargers will once again see their season come to a brutal end.

The Chargers’ wild-card win over Tennessee was no thing of beauty. They merely outlasted the undermanned Titans. The real Chargers got blanked in the first half. The scatter-armed Rivers did a good job of getting upset with teammates who may or may not have run the correct routes, but he failed to deliver the ball with the kind of zip that will be needed to beat the Colts.

Rivers’ numbers were respectable, and he some decent throws in the second half when the Chargers were able to finally get going, but that is just not going to work against the Colts.

Especially the rested Colts.

Indianapolis should be able to get all the kinks out of their system against the Chargers in order to get ready for Round 2 against the Patriots. Don’t let any of the well-rehearsed players in New England and Indianapolis tell you they are not looking forward to meeting in the AFC Championship. That's what ultimately weighs on their minds.

Both teams could lose by making mistakes, but neither will get outplayed in their divisional games.

That’s not really a knock on the Chargers or the Jaguars. Indianapolis and New England are simply more talented, more experienced and more dominant.

The Chargers had a much better chance of reaching the promised land a year ago, when they had homefield advantage over the Patriots and Marty Schottenheimer at head coach. However, New England found a way to win on the road — on a team didn’t have Randy Moss, Wes Welker or Adalius Thomas.

And the Colts have nearly as many weapons as the Patriots. Peyton Manning has a 4-game postseason winning streak. Not only does he have Reggie Wayne coming off his best season (104 catches for 1,510 yards and 10 TDs), Manning’s favorite receiver should be back. Marvin Harrison hasn’t played since a mid-October win at Jacksonville because of a bruised knee, but should be ready to go. Throw in tight ends Dallas Clark and Ben Utecht, along with rookie wideout Anthony Gonzalez and Manning has six reliable targets.

They're almost as good on the ground.

Running back Joseph Addai punched out 1,072 yards and 12 touchdowns despite missing one game and sitting out most of the final two games. He can take the pressure off Manning and the passing game. The Chargers are vulnerable in that area, ranking 17th in yards allowed per rush.

Click the link if you want more of his drivel...

2. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    No surprise, after we went 1-3, the reasons we were contenders disappeared. Now all these people have are reasons why we aren't good enough.

3. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    How disappointed are these hacks gonna be if it isn't an Indy/NE AFCCG? There will be tears, at the very minimum.

4. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I love it. Keep ******** on this team. The more, the better.

Keep our boys PISSED at the world.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

First things first... I highly doubt that the earlier victory is sparking our players with confidence (at least it shouldn't.)
    For the Special Teams... Absolutely!!!
    Defense... It should, as long as they keep in mind that Reggie Wayne will be back.
    Offense... They sucked in that game but have improved since.

Now all in all, this team has reason to feel confident but NOT because of that earlier victory over the Ponies!!!

This guy also left out the biggest key to beating the Ponies... the running game.
    Especially if we get an early lead... the running game has to come through!!!
    That will not only manage the clock but also keep Manning off the field and give Rivers time to put that zip on the ball (as he called it.)

With that said... If Rivers plays like he did yesterday and LT gets running, WE'LL FREAKIN' KILL EM'!!!!

6. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    Yep.

This is the kind of **** I LIKE.

Shake up the world, baby.

7. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    Exactly man. I like being the underdog. They said the same thing when we went to Pittsburgh in '94. No chance, esp. at their house. I know the media and the rest of the nation want to see a Indy/NE rematch and I think both teams feel Jax and us are just an afterthought. They may be right, but as Herm Edwards says, "That's why they play the game!". I think we can beat the Colts, I really do. We match up well with them. I still remember beating them in Indy with Turner's TD as the game clincher. We can do it again, I know we can. I hope Indy overlooks us too because we're going to bring it next Sunday!

8. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    YUP !!! I love the us against the world mentality.

There's no pressure on us. All the pressure is on indy.

Wait until next week when indy comes out rusty and we demolish them. :abq2::icon_banana::abq1:

9. Bolt Action

Bolt Action BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1
    I quit reading when he said the Titans shut out the "real Chargers" in the first half. What a moron. What these hacks fail to realize is we played like dog poop in that first game, AND STILL WON! Yeah we scored on a couple of special teams plays but the last time I checked that part of the game was still "part of the game" and kicked their asses in that department. Who's to say we don't get a couple of short field TD's this game because of our superior ST's play.:icon_shrug:

10. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    As happy as I would be to New England Whacked By Jacksonville, I would truly love to see us do it. Next week I'd like to get a look at Nanee at TE and also tossing the ball off of a reverse. Like to see Chandler some at TE as well if Gates can't play.

11. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Reggie Wayne was there last time. It was Harrison who was missing and according to reports he will play Sunday.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I mean we faced the Colts in the past when they had all three of their WRs (Stokley for Gonzalez is a push in my book) and Clark and yet we still beat em.

The colts are a tough animal in the playoffs no question about it, but how people think we'll just be run over by the Colts is downright absurd.

13. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks for the correction.

14. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    without being too blatantly obvious - the only way to shut them Up is to win the next 2 weeks... then they'll say they were pulling for us all the way...:lol:

personally, I'd take names and not let them into the locker room or press room after the games... then they'd really have to manufacture takes... :yes:

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    We've done pretty damn well against the Colts in recent years. I don't see that changing. We need to put a lot of heat on Peyton, make him rush his throws, hit him to get him rattled. DB's have to play a smart, tough game. OL needs to open holes for LT & give PR a little time. ST keeps on doing what they've been doing, with Kaeding taking his game up a notch.

Time for the big ol' Charger monkey wrench to get thrown into the NFL's plans. :icon_twisted:

16. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I fully agree. But this is the playoffs they wont be a push over. But neither will we, no matter what this guy thinks.

That said, we need real heat on manning. Last night our rushes got stood up and he had a nice pocket to work with all too often. We also HAVE to start fast. if we spot Indy a half, the way we did with the Titans, the game will be over.

17. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    To beat the colts we'll have to follow the formula the last time we beat them up there.

We have to blitz and knock manning around. Don't let him get into any type of rhythm. Let him scream at his oline like before.

If receivers catch the ball, punish them with hard hits to where they are looking for the hit instead of the ball.

If we rush 3 and play zone coverage, it could be a long day for us.

18. PhilipRivers#1

Ratings:
    +464
    I think Gates has to play too. Even if he doesn't catch the ball, the defenses will double cover him leaving Chambers and VJ in one on one coverage.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    I will have a big plate of raw crow for him to eat once we do beat the Colts (which we have already done this season).

20. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Jacksonville @ SD sounds real good from my seats!

In fact a Championship weekend of NYG v Seattle would coupled with Jville-Chargers would really piss off the major NFL media...

21. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    Conc,
    You have to understand that we were more concerned with keeping Young in the pocket than sacking him. Against Manning, we'll be coming full throttle.

22. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    It's funny. When the Chargers get a first round bye, they are "rusty". When the Colts get one, they are "rested".

[​IMG]

23. Monkeybacon

Monkeybacon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    If the Colts are so damn good, why did they barely beat Oakland in week 15 with their starters in the whole game. If they didn't have a 90 yard punt return they probably would have lost. They got outrushed 149 to 58. I think SD vs Indy is an even matchup. The team that wins the turnover battle will likely win. Hopefully it doesn't come down to Kaeding kicking from over 35 yards.

Bob Sanders is Chambers' *****

24. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Rivers too inconsistent to ensure San Diego matches Indy’s talent

I expect that to be the tone of most Nat'l articles. Ripping SD ...... Good. Keep it up. I'm glad we're the underdogs. Our players won't get all full of themselves like last year. If there was ever a time to play the Pats "disrespect" card, now is the time.

25. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    :yes:
    It's no mystery why Tony did not try to win the game vs. Tenn two weeks ago. He didn't want to see the Chargers this weekend!

DUH.

26. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    I agree. Indy has Jacksonville's number, but they must have some apprehensions about playing the Chargers. I don't think Indy or their fans will have as much confidence playing the Bolts.

Regardless .... the pressure is SQUARELY on Indy and New England this weekend.

27. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Very good point. Thanks.:tup:

28. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    I think you're right.

All the pressure is off of the Chargers now. They've won a playoff game, avoided going one and done again. No one expects them to win, so there is little pressure.

The Colts, now, are in the position we were in this last week. Everyone blathering about how they match up so much better on paper, they HAVE to win, etc. etc. They are under the gun, now, to show that they are healthy and can compete with the Pats. The pressure is ALL on them.

And you can bet that the Colts are looking past the Chargers towards a rematch against the Pats in the AFC Championship.

29. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    Here's a post from a guy on the UT board. I thought it was very good.

30. Shamrock

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Donna trailed TE's for the last two seasons he was here. His pass coverage skills are vastly overstated late in his career by pundits and fans.

Edwards was at his best in zone coverage when he could read the QB's eyes playing in zone with the TE/RB either in front of him or on a "stop/curl" route within his zone. Donnie sucked when having to run in space and cover someone.