1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers don't play free-agency game

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by boltmanbz, Feb 29, 2008.

1. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/7851346/Chargers-don't-play-free-agency-game
    [​IMG]
    When the free-agent signing period begins today, San Diego may be the only team looking forward to losing players rather than acquiring them.

With a stocked young roster — much of which is under contract through at least the 2009 season — the Chargers have no need to make major forays into the market. But two of their own unsigned veterans — cornerback Drayton Florence and running back Michael Turner — are considered locks to leave for lucrative deals elsewhere.

That's fine with Chargers general manager A.J. Smith, who plans on receiving compensation in the 2009 NFL draft for their imminent departure.

Smith says he expects the NFL to ultimately award San Diego third- and fourth-round compensatory picks for Florence and Turner.

Compensatory selections are given when a team loses more free agents than it signs. San Diego was the only club that didn't add a veteran free agent during last year's signing period, a trend likely to continue this off-season.

While the exact formula remains a heavily guarded NFL secret, the quality of player lost figures into the equation that determines the compensatory pick level. So does other criteria like salary, playing time and postseason honors.

A maximum of four compensatory picks for free-agent losses are awarded the following year. Those selections cannot be traded and come at the end of rounds three through seven. The 2008 list will be released by early April.

Smith received 2007 third- and fifth-round choices following the departure of multiple players, including quarterback Drew Brees (New Orleans). Smith expects to score a 2008 fourth-round pick for linebacker Donnie Edwards, who signed last off-season with Kansas City.

Smith admits he would rather gamble on finding good players through the draft than compete with other teams to sign veterans.

"If I went out and got two or three high-priced free agents, it would cancel out the compensation I'll be getting for Drayton and Michael," Smith said. "You can't play that game in free agency. It doesn't work. This is a great way to double-up picks."

Thanks to outstanding drafts and the re-signing of players since becoming San Diego's general manager in 2003, Smith isn't pressed to fill major holes through free agency. While the Chargers don't have a proven replacement for Turner as LaDainian Tomlinson's backup, Smith expects cornerback Paul Oliver (a fourth-round pick in the 2007 supplemental draft) to help offset Florence's departure.

Smith felt confident enough in his roster to release fullback Lorenzo Neal when the All-Pro requested his release in order to get a chance to start elsewhere. The same can be said for safety Marlon McCree and right tackle Shane Olivea, who were both cut on Thursday.

San Diego's hoard of young talent also has given Smith more freedom to wheel and deal. Midway through last season, Smith traded a 2008 second-round choice to Miami for wide receiver Chris Chambers. Smith also sent three picks — including a 2008 third-rounder — to Chicago during last year's draft for the chance to select safety Eric Weddle. Chambers and Weddle both made key plays on San Diego's march to the AFC title game.

Drayton Florence will soon be gone, but the Chargers have enough young talent to make up for it. (Donald Miralle / Getty Images)

"We're well stocked with starters under contract that we like with solid depth," Smith said. "Everyone pretty much knows who the 2008 Chargers are going to be."

They also know head coach Norv Turner will enter his second season under much less scrutiny than the first.

A largely unpopular replacement for the fired Marty Schottenheimer, Turner remained on the hot seat through the first 10 games of 2007. But the Chargers then reeled off eight consecutive wins, including a 28-24 second-round road playoff victory at Indianapolis despite the loss of Tomlinson and quarterback Philip Rivers to in-game injuries.

Smith said Turner's game-management skill in the playoffs was something San Diego sorely missed in previous seasons. The Chargers were 0-2 in postseason games under Schottenheimer, including a 2006 home loss to New England after finishing the regular season at 14-2.

"The way Norv maneuvered personnel, utilized his backups and his play calling, the players and whole world saw how good a job he did," said Smith, who hired Turner last February despite his 58-82-1 record elsewhere.

While admitting the Colts victory was his proudest head-coaching moment, Turner already is looking ahead to the 2008 campaign. With many Chargers starters entering their prime, Turner is hoping to give backup players like Oliver, wide receiver Buster Davis and linebacker Anthony Waters (a 2007 third-round compensatory pick) more of a chance to impress during mini-camps. Turner also said quarterback Charlie Whitehurst and tight end Legedu Naanee would receive more playing time with Rivers (knee) and Antonio Gates (toe) recovering from injuries.

"We have a lot of guys on our second and third group who are very talented but haven't played a lot," Turner said. "We really need to make sure they have a chance to grow this off-season."

If the Chargers grow, the club might not fall short again like in last season's 21-12 AFC Championship game loss to New England.

"We were three hours from going to the Super Bowl," Smith said. "A lot of people have told me that if we were healthy in that game, we might have beaten New England. I don't know that, but I appreciate the compliment."

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I wonder if technically, signing Volek 1/2 day into free agency constitutes a free agent signing...

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    buzzkill

4. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    It's soooooo funny watching all of these teams scramble for the crap at the top of the bowl. Some of these contracts are absolutely ridiculous for the quality of player that these teams will be receiving.

I'm glad that we're not in that situation any more.......

• Like Like x 1
  5. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    Dang. I really wanted to throw $50 million at Tommy Kelly. :lol:

6. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Wuckies, mate. Beathard is shreddin' the curl.

7. EsDee_in_RI

EsDee_in_RI Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +133
    Would anyone be opposed to the idea of moving Jammer to FS now that McCree is gone? then fill that spot with another good CB. Now that Samuel is in philly maybe Lito Sheppard will become available (or maybe a decent corner out of free agency) . I know that sound crazy but Jammer has the size to be a safety.

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Free-agency to me is when AJ re-signs a guy like Dielman. we already know what the player is about and how he fit's and works within the club already. Sure it isn't that big shiny package under the tree but it's kept us strong so far.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Save that money to keep our stars, AJ. I don't see many FA's out there who are worth more to us than what we already have.

10. 400HZ

400HZ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +15
    We already need a CB. Nickleback is basically a starting position in the NFL these days.

11. loweezy

loweezy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    People that want to move Jammer to safety are all blind. They are trying to follow popular opinion.. the popular opinion of those that oppose Jammer. Jammer has come into his own over the years and forms a great tandem with Cromartie. Our starting corners are elite. Weddle and Hart are our safeties. Deal with it. We need safety and CB depth beyond that... but moving Jammer is just stupid.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    THAT is the reason Marty was a failure in the playoffs and the drum I beat on for years. Glad that me and Ghod think alike. :yes:

13. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    I'd be opposed to that because Jammer's a damned good corner, and those are way harder to find than good safeties.

14. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Your not going to move Jammer to safety especially after having two damn good years in a row, that's just stupid. This isn't hte same bull-headed moron we were dealing with 02-05, now he's actually playing like a true starting cornerback.

I would like to perhaps see us add a nickel corner in the FA market along with perhaps another RB but its getting ridiculous out there faster then anything

15. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    But think about it, he could be a great safety!!! Then we could package up Whitehurst, Bingham, Binn, and our 2010 6th rounder to Philly for Lito and their first rounder this year, and our secondary would be off the hook!!! Then we would have two firsts, and we could trade them to move up in the draft and we could take Jake Long thus solidifying the RT spot. It would be awesome!!!

16. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    Dude, your trade is unrealistic and I think you know that.

We'd have to throw Kassim Osgood into the deal to get Long, and we both know that guy's going to be a pro-bowl wide-receiver eventually.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Thunderstruck

Thunderstruck BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +272
    And I still believe he would've been fine in '05 if it hadn't been for his idiotic comments calling out the refs before the season started. They got their revenge. I've never seen a CB get flagged that much in the first eight games of the season and, coincidentally, it was the 8 games after he told reporters the NFL wants a track-meet and he's going to play "his game."

Since then he's been allowed to play the way pretty much every other corner is allowed to play, and he's been rock-solid.

18. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    I think Jammer will eventually move to safety, but not this year. I have had the sneaking suspicion that the Illustrated Man is going to be a starting guard. If AJ feels the same way(I have no way of knowing this)then we could package a player and our #1 to move up and get Cro II. Jammer could move to safety when and if he emerges, since my previous misgivings about his NFL durability appear to be invalid. Do not ask me why I think this of the Illustrated man. It has things to do with Possum entrails that you don't want to know about.

19. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    My brother and I were talking earlier and IMo he summed up free agency for the Chargers perfectly:

For the Chargers under AJ Smith, FA is simply the time when you resign all your best players and take out the trash.

:lol:

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Well put. :tup:

21. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I think it'd be sick to have the Cromartie cousins as our starting CB's.

But unnessasary as Jammer is good at what he does, despite taking all the hack for Clinton Hart and Terrence Kiels' countless mistakes over the last few years.

22. Retired Catholic

Ratings:
    +347
    Jammer is staying put for a while at Corner, but the fact remains, he would have impact at either position. The roster is replete with starters for the back four on defense, so he is THE option at his spot, period. If through some truly oddball circumstance Cro II wound up here, an eventual move would not be out of the question. I just don't see us winding up with him. We need to draft several head of beef cattle.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    That said, if Kenny Phillips (S from Miami) is on the board when we pick, get him! :yes: