1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers "dream scenario" is 10-6?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, May 26, 2012.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Chargers: Dream/nightmare scenario
    By Matt Williamson | ESPN.com

Dream scenario (10-6):
    Although Philip Rivers had a very down 2011 by his fantastic track record, the Chargers still threw the ball effectively and should once again in 2012. Even though Vincent Jackson is in Tampa Bay,Antonio Gates is healthy and San Diego has enough at wide receiver, including better slot options, to allow for Rivers to do what Rivers does best: sling it all over the field, especially deep. San Diego does look to be noticeably improved in the front seven. That could pay off huge in terms of improvement against the run and pass as well as generate more big plays. It wouldn’t surprise me one bit if Melvin Ingram ends up being the defensive rookie of the year as a versatile and explosive difference-maker. I am still a huge fan of Rivers and I believe that Ryan Mathews can be an elite running back to mix in with a noticeably improved defense. But what is the ceiling if all of this comes together? A divisional crown certainly is a possibility, but I still think San Diego -- even if everything goes right -- would be a step below the top teams in the NFL.

Nightmare scenario (6-10):
    What if Mathews gets hurt? In a dream scenario, Mathews could have as strong a season as any running back in the NFL. But his injury history is very troubling, the Chargers have very little behind him and their offensive line ranks among the worst in the league right now. The offensive line could be the downfall of the entire team and could easily lead to injuries to the Chargers’ most important players, Rivers and Mathews. And Rivers must cut down on the interceptions. Also, how much do we really trust Gates to return to his previously amazing form for an entire season? Remember, the defense did take a big step backward last year, and it wasn’t all that long ago that the Chargers were unbelievably awful on special teams. What if glimmers of that ineptitude resurface? The worst-case scenario of 6-10 wouldn’t bode well for Norv Turner’s job.

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'll agree that 6-10 is likely our nightmare scenario, but 10-6 is hardly our dream scenario...

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I kind of expect 10-6. My dream would be something like 14-2 and then 3-0 postseason.

• Agree Agree x 4
  4. Whooki Mane

Whooki Mane BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +271
    these guys on bleacher report write some real head scratchers sometimes

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Are you saying that ESPN is the same as Bleacher Report? :D

6. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If the Bolts can peak at the right time and 10-6 gets them in who cares, momentum heading into the tournament is what can make or break you.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    Is 8-8 not an option? ;)

8. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I give a good **** if we go 5-11 as long as we get to the post-season & make some noise.

Well, except for the bitch-and-moaning that will ensue.

9. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Am I the only one who thinks our biggest rival this year will be KC? They have an above average team only held back by the QB play. Denver has a great front seven backed up by an ancient secondary with a 36 year old QB coming off 4 neck surgeries that hasnt played in over a year with a suspect group of receivers, fairly poor tight ends and an average running game. Oakland is just a mess so I'll leave that alone. A healthy Chargers team goes 11-5 with an upside of 13-3 and a downside of 9-7 just missing the playoffs again.

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree. 10-6 is what I am predicting. I am also predicting the Broncos go 9-7

11. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I don't think the Raiders are a mess. They have a QB who has played decently and an elite running game, opposite a very good defense. They may be a mess in the intermediate term, but I don't think that they are as bad off as people think. As far as KC, how good or bad that team is will depend on the health of Jamaal Charles. If he's healthy, that's a different team. On top of that, their defense is very solid. Denver was fantastic on defense last year, and with Dawkins retiring their backfield is suddenly significantly less old.

I think that the division has gotten a lot more balanced over the last 3 years, with the Raiders, Donks, and Chiefs all getting much better while we got steadily worse. Hopefully we've bettered the team across the board without getting worse anywhere other than LG.

12. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I pretty much agree, except that I have low expectation for KC as long as Cassell is their QB. I also wouldn't call the Broncos front 7 great. That are extremely weak at DT, They have good DE's, but are extremely weak at DT and DJ Williams is potentially getting suspended and has been regressing the last couple years anyways.

13. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    The Chargers biggest obstacle is and always has been themselves.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Agree, and I don't mind them going into the season not being the favorite. Maybe this year they won't take the approach that just by showing up, they will get into the playoffs like has been my impression the last few years due to how bad the division has been. I hope the Chiefs getting healthy (although still held back by a terrible QB) and the Broncos adding Manning, will get the chargers to simply take the season serious from week 1 all the way through Febuary

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    10-6 versus a very difficult schedule might be the best we could hope for unless this team just clicks on all cylinders and everything goes our way.

16. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I never have cared for all this prognostication, it doesn't really matter what the Chiefs, Broncos, Stillers or the Pats do. If they're on the schedule they must be played, there are no excuses either win or lose and the Bolts throughout their history have found more ways to be on the losing end of things than most any other team. I still hope every year no matter what the trends may be that this will be the year, and I ain't stopping now.

• Winner Winner x 1
  17. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I just believe that this team has had a mentality that they will win the division because everyone else sucks. The other teams getting better, means winning the division is not a guarantee like it was 4-5 years ago .

It isn't about playing them, it is about competing with them for a playoff spot

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Wanna take prognostication to an even sillier level?

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/stor...ojecting-every-franchise-entering-2015-season

It's an ESPN Insider article so the link may not work for you. The gist is that they're projecting power rankings for 2015. :rolleyes:

19. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    It is the time of year when scribes need to scrape and scratch to meet their quotas. Nobody is going to change their minds about anything based on pre-pre-season spew... especially the inherently negative internet forum crowd. God could speak to them personally in a dream and they'd wake up the next morning thinking even he is full of shet.

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    This time of year does seem to bring out the best from football scribes/fans, doesn't it? :laugh:

21. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,151
    While I wouldn't argue against that, I'd have to add that it's also probably true for every other team.

Well, and pretty much for all mankind, for that matter.

Pogo - The Enemy Is Us.jpg
    (and yes, even marsupials)

22. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    To a greater or a lesser extent depending on their talent level. The author of this hopeless pile of dung Blew posted seems to infer that the talent level of the Chargers is inadequate in his best case scenario to be considered elite. That unfortunately misses the point entirely. They were talented enough with last year's roster to hand Baltimore their hats... and when they had to rally to save Norv's job... they chewed up Oakland and spit them back out. After witnessing what happened in Detroit or St. Louis... I can only conclude the problem is in their minds. What this team needs is a level of concentration and a work ethic that matches their physical tool set.

My belief... (and it only can be conjecture as that I am not at the practices or meetings)... is that the Chargers from A.J. Smith down to the water boy have seduced themselves into thinking that no matter what goes wrong for one reason or another... Philip Rivers is going to find some way to make it right in the end. Nobody really knows what was wrong with him last year... but obviously something was not quite right.

The Chargers cannot delude themselves anymore. Instead of trying to outsmart the entire league... A.J. Smith has somehow returned to the fundamentals of being good at his job. The coaching staff needs to do the same thing. If the players put in a maximum effort and treat every play and every practice with a purpose... I do not see any reason why this team cannot make a deep run into the playoffs. No Super Bowl is going to be won without a modest portion of good fortune on top of that equation.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Every time the Chargers lost this past season was either contributable to poor performance on offense (read as turnovers and redzone scoring) and/or lack of an effective pass rush. What the team needed was more playmakers on both sides of the ball (for the offense healthier playmakers would probably be more accurate), who were hopefully acquired during the offseason.

24. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Hindsight is 20/20. My contention is that we have a very good football club that was playing below their natural level for one reason or another. You had better hope I am correct... for what we picked up in free agency may constitute only a marginal improvement when balanced against what we lost. Conventional wisdom states that rookies acquired through the draft require around three years to become a huge factor... barring very exceptional circumstances.

25. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    What did we lose that actually played last year other than VJ? And don;t forget that Rivers was teh NFL's leading passer in 2010 WITHOUT VJ.

And considering what 4-5 players we got for the money VJ cost Tampa, I would say we are significantly better. We added a quality OLB, a legit FB, and 2 quality WR's

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    Tolbert.

All of this may be true... but it doesn't diminish Jackson's qualities as a football player. We'll see if the platoon matches his production of can stretch the defense to allow others to make plays. I am hopeful, but hesitate to call this a significant improvement.

27. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    I agree about Jackson's qualities on the field but what I think you miss is that now the Chargers have a far deeper WR corps then they did last year. Yes they had a bonafide #1, but they had an injury prone #2, a rookie #3 and a scrub 4&5 (Walters/Goodman). They don't have a pure #1 but they have more effective players throughout the WR depth chart including Vincent Brown with a full off-season and some experience. Granted Meachem might not match Jackson's production here in SD but I think you'll get more and better production from Royal/Brown/Meachem/Floyd then you had from the WR as a whole last year

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    True, forgot about Tolbert, but I also don't think quality backup RB's are really that hard to find

A worse platoon in 2010 exceed his performance.

29. Sandolf

Sandolf Blue Moon Rising

Ratings:
    +410
    My only point was that I am not looking for significant improvement here. Marginal will suffice. That part of our game improves automatically if Rivers and Gates find their way to previous form... plus Mathews realizing more of his potential.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    And Dielman....... and McNeil.

And LaBoy. :D