1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers drooling over Ramses Barden?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by matilack, Feb 12, 2009.

1. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Link

Sorry for the crappy screenshot, you cant access his site without paying for it. Just save the pic on your computer and zoom in (for those of us who are too cheap to pay for scout.com)

[​IMG]

2. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
  3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    AJ going "Bobby Beathard"?

I hope not.

4. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    I really dont think it means anything at this stage.

5. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    he's not a priority but AJ likes height in his WRs so it wouldn't be implausible

6. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Too many holes up front on both sides of the ball to go after him, unless he is the "best available athlete" when our pick comes up. We don't have a second round pick this year so they will have to draft more for need this time around, we are pretty deep at Wide Receiver at the moment.

7. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    I don’t think so.

Does some guy who is given an interview, automatically think he is going to be drafted.

What probably happened was AJ was going through his list of probable candidates that will be available when our turn comes up. No since in interviewing people that you know will not be there. So AJ is going through his list, and has maybe 10 people who he thinks will be available, hey lets bring in a few of these guys and talk with them.

This guy runs out and thinks that AJ is slobbering all over him.

Lets get AJ in here and put this rumor to rest.

We have way too many other needs, Lineman, Linebackers, Running Back, and Defensive Backs, then maybe we can get a Wide Receiver.

Why would someone waste thier money reading that crap.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Beef :icon_blur:

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The only thing I don't like is he's a body catcher.

Guys like Fitzgerald, Johnson, Moss, Smith (the elite) make receptions with their hands.

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    I remember thinking similar with a guy named Mike Walker in 2007 - we did alot more then we've done for Barden and didn't pick him or even really consider him.

This really doesn't mean much in the end

11. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Barden would be a long-term project at best. He's a body catcher & doesn't get in and out of his breaks very well. Of course, at 6'6" that's a little tough. :yes:

I don't see him as being anything better than what we already have in M80.

DL & OL are much bigger priorities.

12. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    How often does AJ actually pick the guy that he's hyped up to pick? Last season we were supposed to pick Flowers, instead AJ picked the guy no one was even talking about us picking.

13. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Here's the run down on him from ESPN Insider.

"Barden rising quickly||Barden is shooting up draft boards thanks to his size (6-foot-6, 220 pounds) and athleticism. While he doesn't have elite top-end speed Ramses does have impressive body control and soft hands. He dominated FCS competition this season, catching a touchdown once in every four receptions, and he showed against Wisconsin (6 rec., 83 yds., 1 TD) that he can hold his own against top competition. Ramses figures to come off the board early on Day 2 but could go as early as the late second round."

14. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    To be fair Flowers had some questionable character issues that came out right before the draft, and we drafted a corner anyway. I can't say that Flowers didn't actually have a better year than Cason, he did pretty well considering he was thrown to the wolves as a rookie.

In this case, I would be outraged if AJ burned a high pick on a WR when we already have Jackson and Floyd at our disposal.

15. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    We've got wr's. Hope we keep some of them. Jackson and chambers if possible. Though I think one will probably have to go cause it will cost to much.

What we need are tough aggressive studs on defense. WE've lost the last couple years cause we couldn't stop the run. Couldn't even get a pass rush last year without merriman.

My pick is rey maulagua. 260 pounds of rock. And he's quick and seems somewhat football smart. We also need a d-end thats better than IGOR. And a better saftey who knows whats going on to replace hart.

16. Cheapseats

Cheapseats Loud, proud Charger fan

Ratings:
    +373
    Keep in mind that AJ and the Chargers staff typically will interview a boatload of prospects and won't confirm or deny anything. Why tip your hand to the personnel people on the other 31 teams you are competing against?

It may be a complete red herring, or if someond like Barden somehow falls into the later rounds it might be a value pick.

AJ does not bring in many high-dollar free agents, we will be plugging most of our holes with draft picks and undrafted free agents and maybe a key veteran pickup as a role player that won't cost us a wheelbarrow full of cash.

The guys and I will be watching day 1 of the draft and the debate on who we will pick will be heated until Roger starts reading off of the card "With the 16th pick in the 2009 draft, the San Diego Chargers select......."
    (Provided of course, they don't trade up or down by then!)

Stay tuned...

Go Chargers!!
    :flag:

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Flowers was the first one that came to mind right away but there's been plenty of other times it's happened before.

As far as burning a draft pick on a WR, I don't really mind, if the guy becomes a stud why would I complain about AJ drafting a WR? I don't think it's a top need right now, but if you think about it next season Chambers will become a FA, Floyd could become a FA and the year after Jackson could become a FA.

But like I said just because people say AJ is drooling over him, then I'd probably say AJ won't pick him, no way does he let his views on a player be known this early in the process. The guys we should be looking at are the guys AJ pretends to not be interested in.

18. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    No one associated with the Chargers' personnel department had a conversation with VJ before he was drafted, which demonstrates that the amount of pre-draft contact with a prospect is pretty irrelevant.

19. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036

If we could pull that off our defense would be better than any in the league

that, I could get excited about.

:tup::tup::tup:

20. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    As long as we get Javowrski Lane in the later rounds i'm okay with this move...

I mean in Aj we trust....right?..