1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers drop preseason opener

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Aug 15, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    8-15-2009

The Seattle Seahawks held off a fourth-quarter surge by the Chargers to claim a 20-14 victory in the teams’ preseason opener Saturday night at Qualcomm Stadium.

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner was extremely pleased with the way his starting defense performed in Saturday night’s preseason opener. He saw what he perceived was a few narrow misses from his first-team offense, and he believes Saturday night provided some great lessons for his young players.

A late fourth-quarter drive turned out unsuccessful and ultimately led to the Chargers dropping their preseason opener to the Seattle Seahawks Saturday night, but the 20-14 loss provided exactly what the head coach wants in the preseason, minus the final score.

“There were great examples for our team,” Turner said. “If you turn the ball over, you can’t win. There are some great learning experiences for all the young guys that played; great examples for all our team.”

The Chargers’ starting defense played three series and forced Seattle to punt each time. San Diego was physical, and the longest gain by the Seahawks against the Chargers’ top defensive unit covered 12 yards.

“The number one thing I look for (in preseason games) was how our first groups played and I really like what we did defensively,” Turner said. “I like the way they’re practicing, I like the way they’re playing. We’re going to be much improved in the secondary.”

The Chargers’ starting offensive line, wide receivers and fullback Jacob Hester played into the second quarter, while quarterback Philip Rivers played two series as did LaDainian Tomlinson, who saw his first preseason action since 2005. Although they didn’t find the end zone, Turner saw some good things from his top offensive unit.

“I liked the (starting) offensive line a lot,” Turner said. “I think that’s going to be one of our strengths. When the first guys were in there, we just missed on a couple of plays that could have been big plays.”

Tomlinson participated in two series, a total of 11 plays, and carried four times for 10 yards. He also gained eight yards on a screen pass. Philip Rivers played two series and finished the night 5-of-8 passing for 26 yards.

“It felt good,” Tomlinson said. “I wanted to get in there and get some rhythm and some tempo and some timing with my linemen and fullback and I thought we did that.”

Billy Volek relieved Rivers late in the first half and shined. He was a perfect 4-of-4 passing for 54 yards, including a 32-yard strike to tight end Kris Wilson, on the Chargers’ first scoring drive of the night. Running back Michael Bennett punctuated the 56-yard drive with a two-yard touchdown run that gave the Chargers their only lead of the night at 7-0.

Late in the first half, Volek connected with Malcom Floyd for a 37-yard gain to put San Diego on the doorstep again, but Nate Kaeding suffered a rare miss on a 33-yard field goal try. Volek finished the night 8-of-12 for 122 yards, good for a 100.0 quarterback rating.

“I like the way Billy came in and played,” Turner said. “He had a good night.”

Late in the second quarter, Seahawks backup quarterback Seneca Wallace found tight end John Owens for a three-yard touchdown that tied the game at seven just before halftime.

Charlie Whitehurst ran the Chargers’ offense throughout the second half and had a tough go early. He was sacked and lost a fumble late in the third quarter that led to Seattle taking control of the game. The Seahawks took over at the San Diego 39-yard line following their takeaway, and it took just three plays for Mike Teel to find Mike Hass in the back of the end zone for an 18-yard score.

Seattle turned an interception into a 38-yard Brandon Coutu field goal midway through the third quarter to push their lead to 17-7, and Coutu connected again on a 38-yard try late in the game to make it a 20-7 game.

Whitehurst bounced back late and led the Chargers on a 69-yard scoring drive that brought San Diego within six. Completions of 16 and 17 yards, respectively to Charly Martin and a 30-yard toss to Gary Banks set up a five-yard touchdown pass caught by Legedu Naanee.

The Chargers defense gave Whitehurst a chance to bring his club all the way back, and three-consecutive completions to Martin had San Diego in business. Unfortunately, the drive stalled at Seattle’s 35 yard line and the Seahawks claimed the victory.

Whitehurst completed 15 of 29 attempts for 193 yards and two interceptions, but Turner was proud of the way his young quarterback bounced back to lead his team 45 yards on the final drive.

“I think he’ll learn a lot from it,” Turner said. “A lot of that time he was playing, he was thinking and trying to be perfect. We get in that two minute and he just let it loose and started playing. That’s the way you have to play. You have to trust what you see.”

The Chargers have the day off Sunday before they return to the practice field Monday. Their next preseason action comes next Saturday when they travel to Arizona to face the defending NFC Champion Cardinals.

2. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    All I can say about that game is "yawn!!!!!"

3. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I see he is starting off early this year! :tdown:

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    Buster saw some action

Davis caught three passes Saturday night, including a 41-yard reception, and handled the return game for the first half. The Chargers’ preseason opener proved to be a nice starting point for the former first-round pick.

5. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Listening to the Seagulls broadcast crew sucked big time. If fact they put me to sleep.:tdown:

6. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    LT played. The team looked like they had no legs, but coming off 2 a days would make that point. I liked what I saw last night. Then again I left at half time, 4:00 in the morning comes way to quick when you are working 7 days a week.

7. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    Every year I get so fired up for our first preseason game, and then every year I lose interest by half time. :lol:

I am driving over to Phoenix next weekend, but that is more about checking out the new stadium and hanging out in Phoenix.

8. BoltFanDC

BoltFanDC Mufflers Are Overrated

Ratings:
    +329
    No worries...and as long as there weren't any major injuries who the heck cares?!

What I saw out of Denver and KC should be a source of concern for their respective fan bases, however... :lol:

9. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    That was lame. I had to mute them for a while as they were distracting.

I wanted to see English play, but I guess we will have to wait until the next game. Martin starting a DE was a surprise.

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    English is nursing a sore Hamstring, plus getting into camp on time might have advantage over someone who holds out.

11. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Gettin' the bricks out early.

12. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Couple of things I took away from the game.

*First string defense is going to be good. The three punts by their firsts is very encouraging.

*I'm a little concerned w/ the starting offensive line. No room for the running back, just like last year.

*The starting secondary is going to be much improved.

*Absolutely no depth on the offensive (pun intended) line. The right side back-ups were horrid.

*Buster Davis has no business stopping on that little slant pattern. Cost us big w/ the Whitehurst int.

*It wasn't all on Whitehurst, but I do expect more from a guy who's been here as long as he has. He looked much better late in the game, but I'm sick and tired of being painted into a corner.

*Just didn't see enough of the starters to get a handle on how they're going to be. What can ya say...pre-season.

The last drive was encouraging...That pass to Johnson was a touchdown if Johnson doesn't extend his arms too early. Coaching was there. (Note: I think we shouda burned the last time out instead of spiking the ball.)

Later

13. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703