1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers | Eight signed to practice squad

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Sep 6, 2009.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Sun, 06 Sep 2009 12:47:42 -0700

The San Diego Chargers announced they have re-signed to their practice squad:
    free agents WR Gary Banks,
    LB Darry Beckwith,
    CB Simeon Castille,
    OT Corey Clark,
    DE Andre Coleman,
    LB James Holt,
    FB Billy Latsko
    C Ryan McDonald

Did Martin get snatched by another team?

2. vegasboy

vegasboy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +21
    Very sad to see Charly Martin's name not on that list. It would be sad to see him go become another Wes Welker somewhere.:no:

GO CHARGERS!

3. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    That would be my guess! :yes:

And thanks for the sig, it looks great!

4. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    What happened to Grennan and Sperry? Claimed?

5. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I see we have an OT, C and DE on the PS in case of injury.

Too bad Charly didn't make it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Props to Nomad for having the Brass Balls to man up for Clary!:tup:

7. Nomad

Nomad Very Senior Member

Ratings:
    +155
    I could end up being in a lot of fights this season. But, I think he will do fine and be a part of the SB champion Chargers. :icon_banana:

8. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    September 6, 2009, 2:09 p.m. Practice squad set
    By Kevin Acee

The eight players on the Chargers practice squad are receiver Gary Banks, linebackers Darry Beckwith and James Holt, cornerback Simeon Castille, offensive tackle Corey Clark, defensive end Andre Coleman, fullback Billy Latsko and center Ryan McDonald.

The only big surprise is that receiver Charly Martin, who made a splash in the first preseason game and showed an ability to play special teams throughout the summer, was not signed.

Martin was not signed to another team's 53-man roster. The Chargers' coaches simply chose Banks over him. The feeling was that Banks and Martin were vey close, and Banks was already familiar with the Chargers, having been on the practice squad before.

Practice squad players do everything but play in games. They earn $5,200 every week they are on the squad. They can be signed by another team but have to be put on that team's roster.

9. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Look's like the Chargers know more than the posters on this board! :yes:

10. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    That's not true! That's IMPOSSIBLE!

[​IMG]

:lol::lol::lol:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    McDonald will never amount to anything. Far too small and slow imho. I say drop him and get Charly back. Interesting we are keeping another effin FB, FFS how many do we need!?. Hester, Tolbert, Latsko........ I thought our O was going to rely less on the FB after Lo left. Crazy if u ask me.

Look at how thin we are at TE if anything happens to #85. Bring back Sperry too he looked like a player.

12. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    The idea wasn't to use a fullback less!

The idea was to have a fullback who's a multi-dimensional guy.

Lo Neal's downfall with the Chargers was that he was too ONE dimensional. He was a liability as a recever, and Norv's offense functions better when the FB has the capacity to be a threat coming out of the backfield on pass routes.

Having a fullback with good hands can mean 1st down yardage on a 3rd and 6, when the wideouts and tight end aren't open downfield, and Rivers wuld have otherwise hd to chuck the ball incomplete.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    And ironically the complaint we've had since Loneal left has been the ineffectiveness of our running game when with LoNeal we had one of the best.

I agree that Hester provides more dimensions, hell I was tired of those stupid swing passes or moving Neal out to like WR, but clearly we miss his run blocking alot more

14. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am not sure if this is correct. I dont believe the idea was to use a FB less, but to use them as a ball carrier or catcher less. They are still valuable as extra protection for the runner and QB, I have not seen Norv minimize that aspect of the game.

15. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    I like the idea of a multi-dimensional FB more than the next guy, like Ant I almost puked every time I saw that swing pass to Lo. But do we really need 3 of them, no we don't. I like what Hester brings to the position but now we're gonna have Tolbert riding the pine and Latsko scratching his nuts somewhere taking up a spot we could have Martin or Sperry in.

If u look at the TE position we really have only one true pass catching TE in Gates. I'd like to see us bring along a guy like Sperry. We even gave up on that guy Chandler a bit soon.

But hey what do I know. :lol:

16. auctoritas

auctoritas BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +40
    Wilson looked like a pass catcher to me during the preseason.

17. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Banks looked better than Martin so I'm not surprised they kept him over Martin.

Welker made the team and when released was immediately signed (we couldn't even get him on the PS), so he's no Wes Welker. Maybe he'll develop into a Camarillo (took him 4 years to become a decent WR).

18. Zot

Zot Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +14
    Now that was good! I literally laughed out loud.
    :icon_rofl:
    Later

19. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I liked Banks as well, but I'm surprised to see Latsko instead of him on the PS.

20. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,804
    The more I think about it, the more I think we miss a healthy Goff just as much if not more :( Alas time was not on his/our side for that...

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Same here with regards to Banks > Martin.