1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers entering race for Suh

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blu32, Mar 7, 2015.

1. Blu32

Blu32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
  2. Brundlefly

Brundlefly Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +370
    And get way more money than we should be spending on one player ...

• Agree Agree x 2
  3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Agreed. But like I've been saying the last couple months, we have cap space aplenty in 2016 and on.

Why is this? Because, honestly we don't have that much talent, especially on defense. In fact other than Weddle I don't think we have a single player I would call "blue chip."

If structured properly we can have any FA we want. I just don't want to see us go 2012 Eagles or 2013 Dolphins, going nuts buying up every player on the market and having to re-build a year later because the plan bombed.

4. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Hey, you'll never know if you don't try. Better to fail spectacularly than to never go for it. The clock is ticking.... loudly.

5. Pumpkin Bolt

Pumpkin Bolt Zin me!

Ratings:
    +449
    When Suh gets to the QB then everyone else on "D" gets better, I would put up with his crap...

It would be interesting to see.... :broncossuck::chiefssuck::raiderssuck:

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    @RapSheet: He has money RT @UTgehlken: Ndamukong Suh, Randall Cobb, Mike Iupati? A new age for Chargers GM Tom Telesco: http://t.co/PuDGpUzbFb

• Like Like x 1
  7. Blu32

Blu32 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    It's time for us to finally make a move. Suh would be an amazing place to start. I would be more than okay if we committed 14/yr to him. Preferably less, but that's my personal max. It would be a much needed addition. The pass rush would bring out even more talent in Verrett and Flowers, and it would give Te'o and Butler more opportunities to blitz because of the double teaming that Suh would command.

8. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    I've seen to expect contract in the range of 17M per year. Nope. Don't want that.

9. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,156
    Personally, I'd rather see the Chargers succeed calmly and professionally, than "fail spectacularly" with Suh.

Yes, the lure of his sheer athleticism is seductive, but the drama, and likelihood of him eating up a
    giant amount of the Chargers' cap space, only to then be suspended for his 14th inexcusable unsportsmanlike play,
    is too big to ignore. It's one thing to have a dirty player on your team...quite another to be paying a dirty
    player tons of cash to not play, because the league is punishing him for consistent cheap shots.

Boy Named Suh.png

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I agree it's extremely excessive for a non-QB.

Devils advocate though, the NFL salary cap has increased $20M over the last 2 years, and it sounds like it will continue to. $17M is a lot, but soon it won't mean what it used to mean.

11. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
  12. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    I wouldn't worry overly much, Lance. That 13.25% surcharge takes a big bite out of the bottom line. Teams like the Dolphins have a clear advantage over the Bolts. Financially, we're not on a level playing field.

13. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Dolphins only have $9.5M in cap space at the moment though, not including the draft pool (est: $5M). They will have to part with multiple starters to make this happen, where as the Chargers won't.

Jacksonville is the team to think about. They are some $60M below the cap, and they need everything.

14. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Sure, but I was referring to the contract dollars. Florida has zero state tax, while California has the highest rate. When you're talking about a big deal like Suh will get, that's not chump change.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Sorry I added more.

Jacksonville is the team to watch. They can afford to overpay, and they're in Florida. $68M under the cap as well.

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I'm guessing this is an attempt by the Chargers to really drive up the price; right now the teams that are really pushing for Suh are the Dolphins and the Raiders, both horrid teams that can't offer the potential to be a real playoff contender that the Bolts are closer to. Force both those teams to spend even more insanely could absolutely crush them.

But then again you never know, as was noted above the Bolts have a ton of cap space and with their system could definitely move Suh everywhere to be a major player. In a 2-4 my goodness could Suh be dominant and he could be spread out at either NT/DE positions to be amazingly effective.

If you are going to break the bank on any defensive player, he or Justin Houston would be the two. They are game changing players that would make the Chargers D as a unit better than it has been in years.

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,410
    Yep, bad teams can usually spend more, but they don't always win the prize, since nobody wants to play for a loser. The question is whether Suh is the kind of guy who just wants to get paid, or if he really wants to win. We'll soon see.

18. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'm curious what people would think of Suh's fit into a 3-4 defense? I know he's probably good enough and versatile enough to play that position, but is he best suited I'm a 4-3?

19. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Was calling this. We haven't signed him yet, and might not, but Suh+Liuget on a defensive line is dreamy. I didn't think TT would be this aggressive, he put Suh AND Cobb on his 'shortlist'. That's saying something.

If Cobb is on the shortlist, I'm more than certain TT feels like they are far from a deal with Royal. The Jacoby Jones signing was to boost specials team sure, but it's also protection for if Royal leaves. I know, totally opposite players, but it's more protection than a replacement for sure.

But with Cobb, he plays in and outside. Incredible player.

20. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    He can play in any scheme, the 0, 1, 3 or 5 tech positions and excel.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd go to 4-3.

RDE - Freeney?
    DT - Suh
    DT - Liuget
    LDE - Attaochu

SLB - Ingram
    ILB - Te'o
    WLB - Butler/Conner

The inside 2 would be arguably the best in the game. And it would make sense for Ken-doll Reyes. RDE would be the main issue. But this draft is heavy on DEs.

22. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    Reyes or Ingram could arguably be DE in a 4-3.. I don;t know it like some of you guys would, the thing I'm not so sure on with 4-3 defenses is the LBs, how that works. Do our guys fit it?

23. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I like the idea of Ingram standing up in a 4-3 because he is so versatile in coverage. And I don't think he has the height or the length to be a true hand down RDE.

It also opens up the possibility of moving Teo back to MLB where he had all his success in college, behind arguably 2 of the best DTs in the game no less. He could be a star player for us in that situation.

It would be awesome, but the price tag is scary.

24. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,418
    It's my natural reaction to not get too excited about reports that my favorite team is "interested" in offseason targets but it would be interesting if we made a run at and got a group of these (or others) this offseason right after that Padres offseason.

• Agree Agree x 1
  25. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    At first I put suh waaay out of chargers consideration, but even with the Jones signing it seems we could still make a big defensive splash if suh took less to come play here.

I like the noise about Iupata to SD as well.

26. Brundlefly

Ratings:
    +370
    Why would he take less? Has he not said he wants to be the highest paid defensive player in the league