1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers excited about trip to London

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 1, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006

Upon the release of the NFL’s 2008 schedule, Chargers quarterback Philip Rivers had planned on immediately identifying when the Bolts were slated to face his good friend Drew Brees and the New Orleans Saints.

“This is a game I’ve looked forward to and I know our fans have looked forward to for a while,” Rivers said. “You think about Drew and Reggie Bush with his ties to San Diego; the match-up in general was already intriguing.”

On Friday, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell announced the game will have even more flavor. The Chargers and Saints will play in the second regular-season game ever played outside North America when they meet in Wembley Stadium in London, England on Sunday, Oct. 26, 2008.

“We’re proud to be chosen,” said Chargers President Dean Spanos. “This is another positive step in the effort to globalize our great sport. It’s an opportunity for the NFL to show off two of its marquee teams and some of its best players as well as a chance for the Chargers to expand our international fan base. In particular, it’s going to be good exposure for the team, our players and our city and another opportunity for our team to grow together. We’re looking forward to it.”

The game will be televised by CBS in the United States. The kickoff time will be announced at a later date. The game will be shown live in England, and will also be shown live or as a highlights package in nearly 200 additional countries.

“I think there nothing’s better for the team, for the organization and for the fans of San Diego to get exposure internationally,” Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman said. “We’re going there to win a football game, but I’m looking forward to seeing the city and trying a lot of different things out. I’m sure I’ll take a lot of pictures and enjoy all the scenery.”

The Chargers-Saints game would be the third NFL regular-season game to be contested on foreign soil. In 2005, the San Francisco 49ers and Arizona Cardinals met in Mexico City’s Azteca Stadium and, last season, the Miami Dolphins and New York Giants played in London in Wembley Stadium.

Former Chargers quarterback Cleo Lemon was the Dolphins’ starting signal caller in their 2007 contest at Wembley Stadium, and Lemon has shared stories with his former teammates about how much he enjoyed playing in London.

“You hear from talking to Cleo and other guys about what a great experience it was (in 2007),” Rivers said. “I’ve never really been out of the country. It’s a once in a lifetime experience and I’m really looking forward to it.”

To help compensate for the approximately 5,500 mile trip from San Diego to England, the Chargers have requested and expect the NFL to schedule the team to play a road game on the East Coast the week prior to help break up the trip.

The team would then fly directly to England from the site of their Week 7 game and spend the week there preparing for the game. The Chargers will have their bye following the Saints game.

“The trip itself will be the longest regular-season road trip (in miles) in NFL history,” Spanos said. “We’ve asked the NFL for its support to schedule one of our East Coast road games on the weekend prior. Then, immediately following that game, our plan is to fly directly to England and spend the week going through our normal preparation schedule.”

The Chargers have four East Coast road games scheduled for 2008. They’re slated to play in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Tampa and Miami.

The Oct. 26 contest (Week 8) will mark only the 10<SUP>th</SUP> regular season meeting between the Chargers and Saints. The Bolts lead the series 7-2 and won the last meeting, 43-17, in San Diego in 2004. The Saints played in the NFC Championship Game in 2006. They are coming off a 7-9 record in 2007. The Chargers finished the 2007 season 11-5 and advanced to the AFC Championship Game.

“What we’ve done here the last four years, we’ve accomplished a lot,” Rivers said. “We’ve put ourselves in a position to where we’re going to be battling in January every year. In doing that, you get the opportunity to play in these kinds of games. It’s exciting for everyone involved.”

The Chargers have played a total of four games overseas, however all four have been preseason contests. The Chargers played the St. Louis Cardinals in Tokyo, Japan in 1976; the Giants in Berlin, Germany in 1994; the Pittsburgh Steelers in Tokyo again in 1996, and the Denver Broncos in Sydney, Australia in 1999.

The league previously announced on January 17 that a regular-season game would be played in the U.K. in 2008, and Commissioner Goodell confirmed Friday that the Chargers and Saints would be the participants. In addition, there will be at least one regular-season game in the U.K. in 2009 and 2010.

“Playing a limited number of regular-season games internationally will help build and grow an already passionate international fan base,” Commissioner Goodell said. “The games will strengthen our partnerships with broadcasters and sponsors. The ownership resolution to play regular-season games internationally has evolved to focus on markets, including the U.K. and Canada, where playing games on a regular basis significantly adds to the broad appeal of our sport.”
  2. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

May 23, 2006
    Anyone that knows anything about Shawn's personal life will find this statement CLASSIC on MANY levels!!! :icon_rofl::icon_rofl::icon_rofl:
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Aug 3, 2006
    I certainly tried out as many different things as I could when I was in Europe. Did the same thing in South America. Kept me from getting stale-except in the morning.
  4. o-line protagonist

o-line protagonist BoltTalker

Jul 19, 2007
    As of now I plan on making this one...cause I sure as **** was making it if it was in the big easy...so, having said that, Bloody hell, where should I go?:icon_shrug:
  5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Jun 25, 2006
    I've been to London. Great city. If you've never been, then the best thing to do is hit up one of those double-decker bus tours. It will take you all over the city. The tickets are good for 24 hours and you can get on and off as much as you like during that time. So, after you've been through the whole tour once, you'll know what sites you want to see. Just get off the bus when it stops at a particular site and get back on when you're done. This allows you to see as many sites as you want fairly cheap.

The tube stations (subways) are the best in the world, so that is the best way to get around. Don't even think about driving there.

Don't take a taxi from Heathrow Airport into the city. That'll set you back some good money. Instead, take the Heathrow express to Victoria station and then take a taxi to the hotel you're staying at. Much cheaper. I didn't do that on my first trip there. Wound up transferring at 3 or 4 tube stations before getting to my hotel. That may not sound too bad. But some of those tube stations DO NOT have elevators. So, you might have to hike up/down several stone stairways within the station to catch another train. Not so bad if you travel light. At the time I went, I had visited another country and was gone for three weeks so I lug my bags up and around those stairs.

Also, stay at the american branded hotels if you can swing the cost. Stay at a typical low cost hotel in London and you might have to share a hall bathroom with the rest of the people on your floor.
  6. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Sep 1, 2005

Hopefully the Buffalo game is the week 7 roadie before the game versus the Saints in England. Less distance than from Florida.

Also, Buffalo won't be as tough an opponent as Pitt.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Oct 16, 2006
    ahah Shawn please wear a hat LOL