1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' FA signing priorities...

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Boltergeist, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111
    We have quite a list coming up after the 2009 season. If there is one silver lining with our turd of a season, it's that we can at least be thankful that we didn't jump the gun and lock in some of our "star" players to huge long-term deals as some players really fell off this year. Some thoughts on our roster (and thanks to Glorify's site for the FA list). Must keep players in bold.

2014 (1)
    Luis Castillo- Bad long-term signing. Can't stay healthy. Early returns appear to have been a mirage.

2012 (6)
    Kris Dielman- Good long-term signing.
    Clinton Hart- Bad long-term signing.
    Quentin Jammer- Solid NFL CB.
    Nate Kaeding- On the fence with him.
    Shaun Phillips- Merriman he is not. Good complimentary pass rusher, yes.
    Jyles Tucker- Merriman he is not. Good backup, yes.

2011 (11)
    David Binn- We haven't had to think about this position for like 15 years. Play him until he's 50.
    Antoine Cason- Like him. Good pick by AJ.
    Corey Clark- Wait and see.
    Buster Davis- Stupid pick by AJ.
    Steve Gregory- I like what I've been seeing out of him.
    Nick Hardwick- Dump him and upgrade ASAP. Too small and not strong.
    Jacob Hester- Stupid trade by AJ.
    Mike Scifres- Best in the business.
    LaDainian Tomlinson- Anyone who wants to cut him after the season is high or stupid. Wait until we get an offensive line back in front of him. Get him some help at OL, FB and TE and a replacement to spell him. Will probably retire after 2011. Still under a reasonable deal for his production.
    Matt Wilhelm- Dump him now. Damn the contract.

2010 (14)
    Ryon Bingham- Valuable reserve. Wait and see.
    Jacques Cesaire- Valuable reserve. Wait and see.
    Stephen Cooper- Wait and see.
    Antonio Cromartie- Glad we didn't break the bank for him after last season.
    Antonio Gates- Can't replace his talent. This will be a tough call.
    Scott Mruczkowski- Garbage IMO. Dump him.
    Legedu Naanee- Need to see more of him.
    Paul Oliver- Need to see more of him.
    Brandon Siler- I like him.
    Billy Volek- Great insurance. Will probably re-sign at a reasonable price.
    Anthony Waters- Needs to show more.
    Eric Weddle- Needs to show more.
    Jamal Williams- Will probably retire after 2010.

2009 (13)
    Chris Chambers- Unless very bargain price...not enough cap space.
    Tim Dobbins- Lock him in as insurance.
    Vincent Jackson- Obvious re-signing priority. Our #1 WR for the next 5+ years.
    Brandon Manumaleuna- Cut him and get a replacement.
    Marcus McNeill- We should sign him....but I'm against giving him crazy money. Didn't deserve his pro-bowl in 2007 and was damn close to being demoted.
    Shawne Merriman- Above all, sign this man. I think this should be clear now AJ. You don't replace a Shawne Merriman.
    Kassim Osgood- Too bad he'll leave. Hell of a player and teammate.
    Philip Rivers- Should be signed this offseason. QB's take too long to develop to screw around at the position.
    L.J. Shelton- Sign him and starthim over Clary if we can't get anyone else.
    Charlie Whitehurst- Let him walk if the price isn't right.
    Cory Withrow- Cut him.

2008 (10)
    Jeromey Clary (EFA) If I had it my way, we would let him walk or at least demote him to reserve.
    Malcom Floyd (RFA) Needs to be re-signed.
    Kynan Forney (UFA) Sounds like he wants big money. Atlanta upgraded over him already. We can do better.
    Mike Goff (UFA)- See ya.
    Cletis Gordon (RFA)- May get more money elsewhere. Would like to sign him...just not big money.
    Marques Harris (UFA)- Try to sign him to a reasonable deal
    Jeremy Newberry (UFA)- Re-sign 2 years. Hardwick sucks and we are going to need his depth.
    Igor Olshansky (UFA)- Don't let the door hit you on the way out.
    Darren Sproles (UFA)- Sign him. Period. His talents are rare as a 3rd down back and he's already a star KR/PR.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Holy_Bolt

Holy_Bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +362
    BG...this is a great post. Please post it again after the Charger playoff hopes are over. I'm still living in the moment...next year will come soon enough!:yes:

By the way, you should be a GM, or an advisor to a GM! Forward thinking is a must for a GM!:yes:

3. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

Thanks. I'm with you. Hopefully we can wait with this at least another week.

4. LTisCool

LTisCool BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +17
    I pretty much agree with everything you said. And I hope AJ does too.

5. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Thanks Boltergeist.

Great post. I too agree with just about everything you said though I'm one of the few (if not the only) posters that want Igor to stay (unless he can get more money elsewhere).

Just because our defense has always been great (talent wise). I don't believe they can fall apart permanently. A new coach and possibly a new DC will get them going again

6. VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!! BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +16
    Great post!!!!! Thanks for the insight on the guys contracts. Very informative.

Remember 1 thing.........................................

VJ IS THE MAN!!!!!

7. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I used to really like Igor a lot...and he's a great interview on the radio every once in a while...but this year he's really annoyed me. He just disappeared which tells me one of two things....either he's injured and isn't disclosing it (which I can respect him for)....or he's half @ssing it because he's mad about his contract situation...which would really disgust me. Bottom line is that he has been mediocre all year and has been outplayed by Cesaire. We need an upgrade at that position either with him playing better or with a better player.

8. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Rivers is priority 1a. Merriman 1b.

9. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    I agree with pretty much everything. I do think we should re-sign McNiel. When healthy, he is one of the best LT in the business.

10. Boltergeist

Boltergeist BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +111

I worry about both being unreasonable with contract demands....as well as our organization trying to low-ball too much and turning negotiations into a nasty affair. Rivers is important for us...and I'm not really worried about him getting signed. It will happen. You need a QB and ownership and AJ know that. There are no FA's out there to replace him and a drafted QB takes on average 4 years to develop. If we can lock him in for what the Cowboys gave Romo (a better QB), I'd be fine with that....If he wants a record setting contract, I'll be pi$$ed because we have a lot of guys to sign that are almost as important to the team. Rivers isn't a Peyton Manning type who you can build a franchise around with an elite arm and accuracy. He is a good QB who does well distributing the ball to the talent around him and will continue to get better....especially if we go back to a better system that doesn't rely on him to try to win games.

I am worried about Merriman however. AJ's offseason posturing and the potential for Merriman's agents to try to break the bank is a bad mix. We simply can't afford to not sign the guy. He is the single most dominant player on the team and the defense is night and day with him in or out of the lineup.