1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Fail to Sign Darren Sproles to a Multi Year Deal

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Jul 16, 2009.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://www.boltsfromtheblue.com/2009/7/16/951078/chargers-fail-to-sign-darren

Yesterday (July 15) marked the deadline to sign all franchise tagged players to multi-year contracts and while Matt Cassel and Terrell Suggs have found their homes for the better part of the next decade, where Darren Sproles will call home after the 2009 season is still a question mark. After signing the Chargers franchise tender a week after the NFL draft in late April Sproles is guaranteed to make $6.621 million during the 2009 season and will be granted his unrestricted free agency at seasons end. With names like Rivers, Merriman, McNeil and Jackson all becoming unrestricted free agents after the 2009 season (assuming a CBA can be agreed upon) there is probably little chance that Sproles will be offered the teams franchise tag for a second straight year most likely ending the Darren Sproles era in San Diego.

I understand that Sproles will probably be an integral part of both the Chargers offence and special teams this year and will be a very important piece to the Super Bowl puzzle (especially if LTs can’t stay healthy) but there are really two things about this move or lack there of that really bother me:

Assuming the Chargers will be too busy in the off-season trying to sign Rivers, Merriman, Jackson and McNeil that they let Sproles slip off to another team, it will be the third player (Brees and Turner being the other two) AJ will have let walk out the door in their prime instead of trading them at the highest point in their Charger careers.

The Chargers will be paying their 3rd down back and kick-returner $6.621 million in 2009 which is almost $3 million more (excluding signing bonus) than what LT will make in 2009.

Sproles was obviously not traded this off-season because the Chargers have a great shot at representing the AFC in the Super Bowl this up coming February and the Chargers need a back-up plan just in case LT is unable to play in his third straight post season. If the Chargers make it to the Super Bowl all will obviously be forgotten but if they don’t Sproles will join Drew Brees and Michael Turner as yet another diamond in the rough that AJ could not capitalize on.

2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't know that they "failed" to sign him long term. Its a bit of an exaggeration. If Sproles gets hurt this year (which is possible considering his size) or underachievs (which could happen because LT is healthy) he will come cheaper if we wait till next year to re-sign him.

That said, If he does have another great year we probably won't be able to afford him, which goes back to my frustration that AJ hasn't placed a higher importance on eventually replacing LT.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    We have failed to sign anyone to an extension. They made a huge damn deal about restructuring LT's contract, and they haven't done **** with the money they've saved so far. If they don't extend PR sometime soon...............

4. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I hope football news starts flooding the gates soon before you Chicken Littles have the whole team sold off to a Mexican consortium.

Jeez .... ever thought that maybe AJ has everyone keeping their mouths shut about contract talk? :icon_shrug:

As for Darren, I have it on pretty good authority that he wouldn't mind getting back closer to home.

5. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192

AJ never keeps his mouth shut about anything:icon_shrug: And what would the offseason be about if we couldn't spend our time worrying:abq2:

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    is he worth 6million a year?

How was AJ going to sign him for anything less if Darren knew he'd get that kind of money this year?

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    He might not sign a long term deal with us until he gets on hte market and sees no one is willing to pay that much per year for a returner and a 3rd down scatback. Sproles isn't worth 6.6million and that talk about losing more franchise players - well at least we've been able to replace them constantly, which is what good teams do.

And yeah the Chargers do need every extra dollar they can spare to try and sign the big guns. And as much as I like Sproles he's not a major priority for obvious reasons.

8. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I doubt we will see a lot of contracts restructured until there is clarity on the CBA situation.

As for Sproles, he has already said he wants to test the market. Nothing new there.

9. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    He wants to get back home. I wouldn't be surprised to see him as a Chief. :unsure:

I worked until recently with a guy from KC whose son is close friends with Darren. Went through school with him, my co-worker taught him in college, & they still see him pretty regularly.

He's happy to get paid this year, but he's not greedy. He just wants to be secure & possibly get back home.

10. Showmeyourbolt

Ratings:
    +192
    Speaking of signings, why the hell haven't we inked any rookies outside of Brandon Hughes?

11. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No and Sproles would be an idiot to sign long term.

Take the one year guarantee and then test the marketplace.....I do not blame Sproles one bit.

12. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't think it'd be the smartest move for him, but I wouldn't go as far as to call him an idiot if he did.

As already stated, he could underachieve and/or get hurt this year and find himself getting less in the free agent market than what he could have signed for with the Chargers.

13. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If you do not go so far as to call him an idiot, then you do not understand Sproles stands to make MORE money doing what he just did by NOT signing LONG TERM.

This is about doing what a man is suppose to do for his family.

PROVIDE.

The grass just got a whole lot greener for Sproles because he, his agent, and his gansta posse are watching his estate grow.

If Sproles had signed LONG TERM - he would be a BONIFIDE IDIOT.

BUT

there are those who think "what is the difference between making 1 million and 10 million a year?"

You are rich

OR

so some think.

If you have a chance to get better pay and you do not grab the brass ring or set yourself to do it, you done fuc't up.

14. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    Tx for the insider info Terry!, nice one. Let's hope he stays in SD though.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    De nada. :icon_toast:

I'd like for him to stay, but not at a feature back salary.

16. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    This rests on the assumptions that he does not get injured this year or underperform.

If either of those happen then he serves to get less money by refusing to sign long term this year and, by your words, is an idiot for not PROVIDING for his family.

Like I said, I agree with you that he's making the right decision, but it's not the surefire clearcut deal you're making it out to be.

There are still risks with the decision.

17. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    I am just glad he will be super motivated to perform this year. Lets just enjoy him ripping it up this season.

Most RBs don't last more than 5 years anyhow, especially small ones, Warrick Dunn excepted. How long did Little Train last?

Besides Gatrell will make us forget about him next season.

Would hate to see him in a KC uniform though.

18. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    Not sure that is exactly an apples-to-apples comparison, but I am looking forward to seeing what #33 can bring to the field.

19. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I'd have let Sproles walk. He is not a feature back, he is not a power runner, not to mention the fact that his numbers were put up against poor teams. If he can do it this year, I will gladly eat crow, with enough garlic.....................

20. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    The field position & change of pace that he brings are worth this year, IMO. After all - we're winning it all this year. :abq2:

21. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    We'll see. :icon_toast:

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    The Colts aren't exactly a poor team.

I think he's overpaid this year, but considering there was nobody else they really needed to give the money to it's not that big of a deal.

The upcoming offseason, however, is more important.

They need to get Rivers and Merriman done. (If I had to choose between one or the other I'd think the choice is obvious, though.)

23. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,886
    I can agree with you. Don't get me wrong, I like the gnat but he is a spot players and I'd have his job in a heartbeat.

24. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    What assumptions ?

Sproles is GUARANTEED his $6 million if he gets hurt this year.

A long term contract is NOT long term security. Many think "oh boy he signed long term" and it does not mean SECURITY.

Why?

The NFL contracts are a series of ONE YEAR VOIDABLE contracts. That is huge and requires no assumptions at all.

Sproles stands to make MORE money signing the franchise tag and testing the free market next year or the Chargers could F-tag him again which many doubt will happen considering Rivers - Gates etc etc coming up for renewals.

If Sproles signed a long term deal instead of accepting the F-tag, he would be the biggest moron on the face of the earth.

25. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I understand how long term contracts work in the NFL, but don't they generally still come with guaranteed money?

I'm sure he'd get more guaranteed money from the Chargers with a long term deal this year than he would from another team next year if he finds himself injured or underperforming this year.

That being said, if the Chargers aren't offering him 6 mil guaranteed I will concede your point.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The only guaranteed money is the signing bonus in a long term deal.

Use that same logic for Merriman who is also a potential franchise player (you assume Sproles will get more guaranteed money from the Bolts if he tanks this year). It does not pass the smell test for him or Sproles.

Use the recent example of Dielman who took a "cut" which blew away many many minds if you think the Chargers will outbid anyone for GUARANTEED money. What Dielman did was unheard of in the NFL and I can not recall anyone who took millions less to stay.

27. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I don't think the Chargers will outbid anyone for "guaranteed" money with all things being equal.

But if you compare what they would bid this year to what others would bid next year after an injury and/or underperformance plagued season, and the chargers' offer would most certainly be better.

That said, as I stated in the last post, if the Chargers offer of guaranteed money is less than the 6 mil he's guaranteed with the franchise tag, I conced your point.

28. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    As for Merriman, unless Rivers signs a long term deal this season, Shawne is not going to be a franchise player.

29. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    If this happens and Rivers is Franchise tagged - ouch. A.J. is going to get a lot of heat. Rivers needs to be signed over Merriman if push comes to shove. That is a no brainer.

30. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,407
    I agree.

I was just pointing out the obvious that if neither is signed the choice of who to tag is obvious.

I'd give AJ some heat myself for not preventing the situation, but at the same time, you have to know the scenario gives both Rivers and Merriman that much more leverage in negotiations.

Still, AJ needs to get it done.