1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Fan Support Lacking Electricity?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Drunk, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Drunk

Drunk Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +202
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20080108-9999-1m8boltindy.html

Day after playoff win, some still uncertain about team
    By Ronald W. Powell
    UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER

January 8, 2008

The Chargers' bandwagon is not yet running at top speed.
    Television and radio news shows are chatting up the team's playoff win Sunday.

But yesterday, the day after the Chargers won a playoff game for the first time in 13 years, little exuberance existed in some circles.

“I keep thinking back to 1995 when the Chargers went to the Super Bowl and excitement the city had for the team,” said Ken Zuorro, president of the 400-member Chargers Backers fan club. “It's not like that now.”

Zuorro said he believes fans are still feeling a hangover from last season's 14-2 team that lost to the New England Patriots in a home playoff game.

“Last year, we set the bar so high with all the wins,” Zuorro said. “People just don't want to believe in the team this year.”

Nonetheless, some fans are snapping up travel packages to fly to the Chargers-Colts playoff game Sunday in Indianapolis. For $1,600, fans receive two nights in a hotel, a cocktail party and get to cheer for the Bolts in the indoor comfort of the RCA Dome.

Gil Saidy, owner of Aer Travel agency, said he expects all 150 tickets of his package to be sold by tomorrow night. Only the Sept. 23 road game against the Green Bay Packers, which attracted 125 fans, has generated as much interest this season.

“Chargers fans bring phenomenal energy on the road,” Saidy said. “They bring three Chargers jerseys with them: one for the plane, one to wear the day before the game and one to wear to the game.”

Ticket reseller TicketsNow had 480 listings for the Chargers-Colts game, with prices ranging from $118 to $642 each. By contrast, tickets for the playoff game between the unbeaten Patriots and the Jacksonville Jaguars had asking prices from $145 to $7,000.
    Spectator Tickets in San Diego had received only a handful of inquiries late yesterday.

“San Diego people, for the most part, don't travel much for games,” said John Nelson, manager of Spectator Tickets. “That's been their MO for years.”

Nelson has lived in San Diego since 1978 and says only a Super Bowl win will fire up fan loyalty.

“Right now,” he said, “the fever is lukewarm.”

Scott Scharer, founder of the pro-Chargers Web site glorifythepast.com, said traffic was brisk Sunday night and yesterday......

2. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +686
    Not surprising. Peeps got all jacked up last year and then fell damn hard in the NE game.

I don't think there is a lack of support, just the enthusiasm is a bit tempered. The fans are there, but it is more of a show me attitude.

Beat the Colts and the volume is gonna rise a few notches.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    The founder never shows up to the games. Too bad for him. He did not even want to accept a softball game between website. Maybe he will change his tune?

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    This writer is a transplant clown with an agenda. Screw him.

5. P88F

P88F BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +99
    Charger fans do suck:icon_shrug:.. You cant say that dont. Everyone on these forums are the Hardcores.

6. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    I do agree 200%.

Some Fans just need to STFU and let the offense do its thing.

I am one of those that is quiet as a Church Mouse when the Offense is on the field except when we make an excellent play or a bonehead play. I then get vocal and cheer or boo like mad.

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Having a ****** team for so long breeds a stupid fanbase.

I actually blame the team for not doing a better job in educating it's fan base. How aboutflashing a big QUIET PLEASE on the jumbotron when we have the ball to shut everyone up so Philip can call the offense?

Alot of people felt burned by last year and probably have bought into the same kinda Norv Sucks rhetoric B4L has been selling all year and don't think we have a snowbals chance in hell.

They'll be jumping onto the wagon like rats off a burning ship when it happens.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,929
    that much i agree

9. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

The majority of the fans for ALL teams are bang wagon.
    Steelers have one of the strongest fan bases in NFL. If they went on a ten year losing streak (including a 1-15 season), fans would be bailing.
    They have a good quality fan base because they very rarely have a bad season (and if they do, it's like 7-9.)

With that said... you don't get excited when your team brings in a coach with a losing past (as head coach.) No other fan base would be happy with Norv either (as head coach.)
    Though so far, Norv has shown that things will be different than what his resume shows.

And yes, I think a "QUIET PLEASE" on the jumbotron while the offense in on the field would be good.
    MANY TEAMS HAVE THAT, INCLUDING THE STEELERS!!!