1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers first half report card

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Quarterbacks – A-minus. Rivers has taken his place among the NFL's best. He's good now, real good, and a tough, vocal leader.

Running backs – C-plus. LT's been hurt, but he looked like the old LT overseas. Check back on Dec. 29. Is Tolbert big enough to block NFL giants?

Receivers – B-minus. Gates finally appears to be his old self. Jackson has thoroughbred in him. Chambers is getting over a bad ankle. Is Davis a bust?

Offensive line – D-plus. Slow start can be attributed to injuries. Looked much better in London.

Defensive line – F-plus. It took awhile for Williams to recover from knee surgery. Castillo hasn't done nearly enough and Olshansky hasn't done anything.

Linebackers – F. Cooper's return has helped. Tackling has been bad and Phillips has missed bookend Merriman.

Secondary – D-minus. Cromartie (hip, thinking) and Hart (bad hand) are having off years. Jammer is among The League's elite corners. Weddle is this far away from being as advertised.

Special teams – A-minus. Probably the most consistent part of the team. Coverage has been solid, Sproles is a dangerous returner and kicking game is sufficient most anywhere.

Coaching – F-plus. When you fire your defensive coordinator at midseason, there can be no other grade. If Turner thought he had a problem, he should have snuffed it out earlier than Oct. 27.

Prognosis – Inc. If the “new” defense can make a few stops and create turnovers, it could be pure hell playing this team the rest of the way.

By Nick Canepa

2. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Pretty fair assessment, IMHO.

3. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    The offensive line looked average at best in London. Horrible red zone blocking, and their failed attempt at blocking a three man rush cost us the game.

4. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    Seems to me we've heard that before. I sure hope soon it occurs.

5. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    :yes:

6. TheBeast

TheBeast BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Great assesment. Our pass rush needs to step up.

7. !~BOLT~!

!~BOLT~! Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +205
    Very accurate depiction of the first half, wish I could argue but in black and white our d is just piss poor.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Quarterback: A
    Rivers has been the reason this team has three wins and almost had three more

Running back: B-
    LT gets a mulligan, Tolbert's fading, Sproles is doing well. Where the hell is freakin Hester?

Wide Receiver: B
    Chambers is a touchdown machine, Jackson is heating up, Floyd reasserts himself. Davis is still missing.

Tight Ends: B
    Manu is steady, Gates is finally getting healthier

Offensive Line: B
    Weathered early injuries well, good at pass blocking but must improve run blocking.

Defensive Line: F
    Pathetic across the board, they basically don't exist and there might have to be major upheaval

Linebackers: D-
    Few to no good spots in this group, doesn't do its job. Also the group with the biggest mouth and most likely to bounce around for doing nothing.

Defensive Backs: D
    In part they get some pass because there's no pressure but Cromartie has regressed badly and idk if Hart's on the field. Props to Jammer, Cason and Weddle, minus Weddle's stupid hyena antics.

Special Teams: B
    Minus one bad game they've been very good

Offensive Coaching: B, Defensive Coaching: F
    Gotta break it this way

9. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Bench Goff...... Mruc or Forney can do the job there. Tired of seeing Goff fall onto his face/knees.

At least make someone other than Igor start. Maybe even activate Coleman?.

Same goes for Hart, give Gregory or Oliver a chance.

Tolbert needs to spend a week in the film room learning to identify who it is he needs to lead block. He has gone the wrong direction countless times. I think he is capable, he just needs some serious coaching. If it is not happening get Wilson in there. Manu has been disappointing too, he has blocked better than he is doing in 08.

• Like Like x 1
  10. SD Native WY

SD Native WY Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +334
    Over all the team gets a C........Won"t cut it to get to the playoffs to say nothing about the Super Bowl.

The assesement by Canepa is typical for a liberal media geek. His grade gets a D at best.

This team could be something if not for the D's weakness.

Yes there are other positions throughout the team that could be improved but the D and refs have cost us the first half of the season.

11. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    The offense should continue to get better primarily due to the return to form by LT and Gates. Funny when LT hits the hole faster the run blocking will look better along with Gates getting separation the pass blocking will improve.

The D has to improve it isn't possible to be worst unless we lose ....sorry I won't even go there. The defense if it remains healthy should see improvement with the return of a more aggressive style.

I think we may also see more of Gregory and Gordan both have looked pretty good in limited duty and maybe ready to press for more PT.

Hopefully the ILB play will improve with Cooper and Tim Dobbins leading the charge. They are the only ILB who seem to be able to read a Run play and fill a hole fast enough to register a Tackle for a loss.

Right now I have to rate this squad .......Scarecrow....missing a heart.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Hopefully Rivera is going to give this D some much needed CPR & get their *** in gear. We may well start seeing less of Cooper if he doesn't pick up his play. The OL - I'm hoping that they start to gel as injuries heal & reps together accumulate. No way do they get anything higher than a C- from me right now, & that's being gracious.

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Davis is a BUST as far as I am concerned.

14. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    its only his second season- give him next year at least

15. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Nice pic of you & Cason, Chris!! :tup:

16. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    So was Jackson a year and a half into his career.

17. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    If Hochuli would have made the right call in Denver the Chargers would be in 1st place... :icon_evil:

SD 4-4

DEN 3-4

OAK 2-5

KC 1-6

Ok I'm over it I feel better now...

18. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    legit prognosis and analysis of the team. wtg :tup:

19. VikingBolt

VikingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +477
    That's what I've been saying all this season.

20. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

I don't know how many times I have to say this, but "Buster" was a first round pick. Someone like Jackson was not. There is a higher standard on a first round pick, than someone who was a 3rd, 4th, or 5th pick. You have more invested in a first round pick.

When "Buster" is healthy, he can't make it on the field anyway, and at best, if he can actually make it on the field next year he would be the 3rd reciever at best.:icon_shrug:

I see alot of other recievers cracking the starting lineup, making plays in their rookie year, or thier 2nd year, and they are NOT even first round picks most of the time.

So what's his excuse??:icon_shrug:

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    Davis was a late first round pick and Jackson was a late second round pick. Many people in here declared Jackson a bust well into his third season. Jackson's biggest issue his first two seasons was nagging injuries. Davis' biggest issue thus far is nagging injuries.

I think it's a very accurate comparison. The major difference is that Davis has a lot more talent at WR to compete with than Jackson did his first two years.

22. Chargers-Superhero

Ratings:
    +117

Well then we will just have to wait and see how "BUSTer" does in his 3rd year. Still, a first round pick should crack the starting lineup in his 2nd year for crying out loud. And if he can't in his 3rd year, then I don't see that it warrants him being a first round pick. So far he has the perfect nickname...

23. hoff529

hoff529 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +20
    I don't care about the first half, it's gone. We all had high hopes but **** happens. We are still in it, thats all I care about. There is no team in the AFC west that should beat us from here on out. 8-8 will win this division. Cotrell is gone, our players are healthy. It's go time. Go Bolts!!