1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers fish for laughs, team unity

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Feb 7, 2006
    Chargers fish for laughs, team unity
    Wednesday, Jun 21, 2006
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com
    When Chargers linebacker Randall Godfrey needs a place to go to get away from the limelight and forget about the bumps and bruises brought about by football and life in general, he’s always quick to grab his rod and tackle box and race to the nearest fishing hole.

“It can definitely be therapy for me,” Godfrey said. “I love to get out there, soak up God’s creation and catch some fish. It’s always a peaceful place for me to be, and I love sharing those experiences with other people.”

Godfrey recently got to share a unique fishing experience with several of his teammates. Following a Chargers’ Offseason Coaching Session, Godfrey invited his fellow Bolts to join him on Ryan Bostian's Mission Belle for an afternoon of deep sea fishing. Running back LaDainian Tomlinson, safety Terrance Kiel, linebackers Carlos Polk, Jonathan Pollard, Akbar Gbaja-Biamila and Marques Harris and former Chargers defensive lineman Adrian Dingle spent an overcast afternoon enjoying an ocean experience that they won’t soon forget.

“I’ve caught bass and crappie out of ponds my whole life, but I’ve never done anything like this before,” Kiel said. “There was no mistaking it when they hit. Those guys were fighters. We had a blast.”

For approximately six hours, the group worked the back side of the Nine Mile Bank, 11 miles off San Diego’s Mission Bay. Shortly after they dropped their baits, the professional football players and amateur fishermen began hauling in bonito tuna one after another. Capt. Ray Montera also put the boat on top of a few yellowtail that provided quite a battle.

“Those guys just took off with it,” Polk said. “As soon as I got my hook in the water, it was on. Capt. Ray had us in all the right spots all afternoon. There weren’t many dry spells for us.”

Polk frequently joins Godfrey for trips to local streams or ponds to enjoy a quiet day of fishing. Godfrey has ponds on his homes in both San Diego and Georgia and tries to wet his hook as often as he can. The 11-year NFL veteran also hits the ocean as much as possible. Each offseason he gathers approximately 15 family members for a trip in the Gulf of Mexico. During a recent Chargers golf outing, the Polk and Godfrey even brought along their bass plugs and hit a few of the ponds along the course.
  2. ChargerRay

ChargerRay Producer/Host of BoltTalk Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Jun 20, 2005
    Thanks for the story. Unlike the Vikings, the Chargers can actually go on a boat ride without getting into trouble.