1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers focused one game at a time

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 8, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

Casey Pearce
    Posted Dec 8, 2009

While many things have contributed to their success during their seven-game winning streak, the Chargers believe their ability to focus one game at a time has been key.

Chargers linebacker Shawne Merriman[​IMG] was asked Monday to put in perspective the challenge his team will face over the next four weeks as it begins the final quarter of the season, but he was only capable of speaking six days into the future.
    “I don’t even know who we have after Dallas, honestly,” Merriman said. “That’s how week-to-week we’re taking it. It’s really from week to week. One game is not bigger than the next. It’s cliché, but we’ve done a great job of taking it one game at a time and that’s what we’ll continue to do.”
    During the Chargers’ current seven-game win streak, they’re 9 in turnover margin and have scored at least 30 points five times. Statistically, their numbers are up in just about every category and they’ve received great contributions from a handful of unsung players.
    But if there’s one thing the players credit most often for their success, it’s their ability to focus on the game at hand as Merriman mentioned and quarterback Philip Rivers[​IMG] echoed.
    “We’re obviously pleased about the last seven weeks and the stretch we’ve been on, but we’re a very grounded, focused group,” Rivers said. “I really like where the focus is and I think that’s been a key to getting this thing turned around.”
    That’s why the Chargers weren’t taken aback Sunday when the 1-10 Browns had some early success, and it’s why San Diego was able to fight back and regain control of the game before Cleveland’s late surge.
    “We worked hard to make sure they understood what Cleveland was capable of doing,” Turner said. I think they realized it going in. Cleveland did some good things against us.”
    The Chargers are aware of where they stand in the postseason picture, but with four games left, they know that can drastically change. That’s why they won’t join in that discussion. They’ll stay focused on the NFC East-leading Cowboys, who they’ll face Sunday in Dallas.
    “There’s no denying that the talk is out there. but if we can keep the boring one-game-at-a-time approach that we’ve had, we can keep this streak going,” Rivers said. “As long as we don’t let that talk get in our way, I think we’ll be fine.”

2. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +194
    That's right. One game at a time. Dallas is desperate to
    stay in the lead against Philly and Giants. We'll sure have
    a chance to win in Texas, were LT and some others are coming from. Look what Gradkowski did in his hometown last Sunday! :tup: