1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers follow their QB's lead

Discussion in 'Latest Chargers News & Headlines' started by robdog, Oct 4, 2005.

1. robdog

robdog Code Monkey Staff Member Administrator

Ratings:
    +268
    Source: <a href="http://www.pe.com/sports/football/stories/PE_Sports_Local_D_1_chargers_side_03.900d64a.html" target="_blank">The Press-Enterprise</a>

By PAUL KENYON

FOXBOROUGH, MASS. - It did not take Drew Brees long to get a sense for what the New England Patriots' defense wanted to do.

"It was obvious what the Patriots were trying to do early," the Chargers' quarterback said after San Diego's 41-17 win on Sunday. "They were going to bang our receivers, bang our tight end, bang guys coming out. They were going to get pressure on me. That's what they were hoping to do in order to shut down our passing game."

The Chargers had to respond to that physical play, and then overcome it to win -- which teams had failed to do in the Patriots' previous 21 games at Gillette Stadium, all New England victories.

"Guys got open downfield and our offensive line gave us time to do something downfield," said Brees, who completed 19 of 24 passes for 248 yards and two touchdowns. He wasn't sacked and was barely touched most of the afternoon.

Running back LaDainian Tomlinson dominated play on the ground as Brees picked apart New England. Tomlinson had 134 yards on 25 carries and three catches for 34 yards.

It was as impressive a performance as any visitor has put on in Gillette Stadium in years.

"We always want to be the most physical team on the field, especially this week when you're playing the Super Bowl champions, when you're playing a team that has a front seven like these guys," Brees said.

"It was another very strong performance by Drew," said San Diego coach Marty Schottenheimer, although he quickly added, "I think it's important to note that the offensive line did a terrific job. We didn't have a sack. They probably played as good a game today as they have all season."

Brees clearly had the upper hand over his old Big Ten rival, Tom Brady, although he deflected any discussion along those lines.

"I just knew if I went on and did my job like I'm supposed to, we would win," he said.

Tomlinson, for one, was happy to see his quarterback get some of the spotlight.

"Drew kind of gets overlooked. He'll go out and play better than anybody, play mistake-free football," Tomlinson said. "He'll manage the game really well. He does what he has to do to get the victory. He's done that since college. That's the way Drew Brees plays football. It's no surprise he's the leader of this team."

Brees, who after the game spent some time with Doug Flutie, his mentor in San Diego and now a backup with the Pats, was most proud of the way the Chargers controlled the second half. After a 17-17 tie at the break, the Chargers made a concerted effort to keep the pressure on, not to play safe.

The team had not done that in its first two games. The Chargers were tied at halftime against Dallas and lost. They led Denver 14-3 and lost.

"We did not finish those games," Brees said. "No matter what the score, we have to go out in the second half as if we're going to dominate."

They did it against the three-time champs. They controlled the ball for nearly 21 minutes in the second half. They outscored the Pats 24-0 after the break. They won going away.

"We put up 45 points against the Giants last week and 41 this week. That's the kind of output we want," Brees said.