1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Franchise Tag VJ

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I just received a text from the Chargers indicating he has been tagged for 2011...

Let the mayhem begin...

2. bigmike.x.09

bigmike.x.09 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +280
    Oooooo buddy.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Just got it too
    Could still mean a potential long term deal with VJ, could me a trade or could mean one year and he's gone
    Stay tuned

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    Good news!

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Jackson designated Chargers’ Franchise Player

San Diego applied the non-exclusive tag to the seventh-year receiver with two 1,000-yard seasons.

SAN DIEGO – The Chargers designated receiver Vincent Jackson as the team’s Franchise Player on Tuesday.

Jackson, 28, was designated as a “non-exclusive” Franchise Player, which means that he can negotiate with other teams. Should he receive an offer from another team, the Chargers can either match the new club’s offer or receive two first-round draft choices as compensation. In addition, the Chargers and Jackson may negotiate a long-term contract.

“Vincent has been a valuable contributor to our team,” General Manager A.J. Smith said. “We want him to be a Charger.”

The last player to be designated the team’s Franchise Player was running back/kick returner Darren Sproles in 2009.

Jackson will receive a one-year tender at the average of the top five salaries among receivers last year.

6. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    My question is this;

Will Vincent "I want big money" Jackson be willing to sign a top 5 tender, and negotiate towards a long term contract?

In other words, does Jackson want the dough more than he wants to be a Bolt?

7. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
    I think he made his stance quite clear this season.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I missed it. What stance was that? His hold out?

9. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Perhaps, it certainly could be argued. He and his agents were very vocal about whose contract they wanted to emulate. However, that said, we can hope that he and the FO learned something from all of this and they are more willing to turn to the same page going forward... But remember, I am just a blind, naive homer....

10. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'm thinking the Chargers will swe what the offers for Jackson are, basically let other teams do the negotiations, and if the other teams' offers are not what Jackson wants then the Chargers can tell him "see, this is what you're really worth", and, if he gets a huge offer, well the Chargers get 2 #1

I'm hoping he stays in San Diego with the franchise tag, and then maybe signs a long term contract with the Chargers

11. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +504
    Well considering how well that contract went for the Dolphins this year (Did piehole Marshall have more than two good games this year?) I don't think he will get quite that money from anyone. That being said, now that he is guaranteed about 10 million+ this year, I think he shows up and tries to get the deal done, either way he cashes a big check and that is what he wants. Now that we have locked VJ up for the year (I don't think anyone believes he will be traded), what does the WR depth chart look like???:

In:

VJ
    Malcolm (4 years 26 million 11 guaranteed, it will get done)
    Crayton
    Washington
    Tutu
    Goodman (#6 and return man after Sproles walks)

Out:
    Legs (Sorry man, you were borderline, you might have escaped the public intoxication, but not the resisting arrest in a homicide area dumbass)

And we will draft someone, maybe late first day, or the one second day pick. The mock drafts that have us taking a WR in the first or second round did not watch us play this year at all. With the train of no names catching balls, and solid experienced veterans of our own to sign, our draft picks will be going to DE's, LB's, Safeties, and some Offensive Beef.

12. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Now maybe Jackoffson will go to the table without the 900 pound chip on his shoulders.

13. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    How about a Jackson trade to Carolina? He will meet up with Billy Volek when he signs as a FA. Compensation options could be intriguing.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Its cool. He must be under contract to be tradeable. STEP 1 : COMPLETE.

15. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    "The Chargers placed the “non-exclusive” franchise tag on Jackson, meaning he can negotiate with other teams. However, any team signing him would have to work out a deal with the Chargers. Ostensibly, a team losing its franchise player is entitled to two first-round draft picks, but that price is negotiable."

It's official: Jackson tagged as franchise player - SignOnSanDiego.com

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There is no chance of the Chargers getting two 1st's. He should be traded, and if we can get what the Donk's got for Marshall, we should be happy.

17. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Red Light...

He has to sign his the FT tender....

I have not seen a responce from the Jackson camp as of yet.

DB67, I do agree with you, however there is still an outside cahnce that teams such as the Vikings, Bears, or other teams in need on that 'one peice' would bundle a deal for Jackson. If multiple teams show interest, then 2 firsts could result, but that is a low percentage chance...

18. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    If we get 2 firsts for Jackson I'll attend church all year.

19. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Wouldnt that be the final sign of Armegedon?

20. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    If we get a first and a second for Jackson, I'd buy you a super nice dress and drive you to church.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I am starting to think we have something here.

Enormo Driving Miss Bucky...

:lol:

22. BlazingBolt

BlazingBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +36
    They will keep franchising him likely as long as they deem he is worth it.....until another Reciever emerges or his production drops.

Like it or not we need Jackson.

I think they should have given him a long term deal awhile ago, but at least they realize the guys importance and franchised him.

23. chargerlipz

chargerlipz Leading the league in nose hairs.

Ratings:
    +151
    Has anybody ever heard of a franchise tagged player being traded? I don't remember any. I think it's highly unlikely VJ is going anywhere.

24. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Matt Cassel. Pats put the FT on him, then traded him to KC.

25. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I'd like to see him stay, if not for the long haul at least one more year

26. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Yes - I think it's even mentioned in the Book of Bolt-Sh!t.

You're on .... but it has to be a voodoo church.

27. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So you think they will pay him $10+ mil this year, then $12+ next year, and it will keep going up 20% each year? So they are wiling to give him $22mil over 2 years, but won't give him the same guaranteed money for a 4-5 year deal? That would be the most asinine thing this team has done in years.

They need to make a choice this off season. Is he in the long term plans for the team. If the answer is yes, then start negotiating a deal. If the answer is no, then take the best offer and lets draft another WR. Going into the year with him as a franchise player would be a terrible decision, and one where he would end up walking after the season with us getting nothing more than a garbage comp pick in 2013

28. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    So you would rather him walk after the season with nothing in return over a couple draft picks that will be here for 4-5 years?

29. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    i like VJ but this is umm how would u say it RIDONKILOUS. either sign him or trade him. we need someone whose good and wants to play ball for a ring not the money.. we need someone who is dedicated. LOOK AT WHAT LT DONE HE SPENT 9 YEARS WITH US TRYIG TO GETA RING AND NEVER DEMANDED THIS MUCH MONEY. get me a real ball player

30. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    To bad Jackoffson had to be such a prick about the whole thing. I don't know how much more the Chargers need to do to convince him they are interested. Sounds like AJ lobbed him a quick hitter and now it's time for him to perform.