1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Free Agency Discussion

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Dec 29, 2014.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Here are the Chargers Free Agents (listed below). Who do you think we should keep, and are there any other teams FA's you think we should go after?

Hardwick, Center, UFA

Royal, WR UFA

Freeney, OLB, UFA

Mathews, RB, UFA

Clary, OG, UFA

Dunlap, LT, UFA

Gilchrist, S, UFA

Wright, CB, UFA

Gachkar, ILB, UFA

Smith, LT, UFA

Ohrnberger, C, UFA

Ajirotutu, WR, UFA

Mathews, DE, UFA

Robinson, C, RFA

McBriar, P, UFA

Wiggins, LT, RFA

Baca, G, ERFA

Flowers, WR, UFA

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I would like to keep Royal, Dunlap, Gilchrist (at the right price), and Gachkar. I know it is unpopular but I would even like to have Wright retains for the right price with an incentive driven contract and let him earn a spot in camp.

I missed Flowers above (will edit) and he MUST be brought back, IMO.

3. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Hardwick will retire..... Freeney may retire. Who knows about Johnson. We'll be plugging holes for some time. Tommy the Little Dutch Boy. ;)

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Flowers, Dunlap, Royal (on our terms) and Gach. The rest can walk as far as I'm concerned. I'd consider Gilly if he came back on our terms and let him compete for a role. Else he can pack his bags with Shareece.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Tutu is still a valuable ST player..... I doubt he would be expensive to keep.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Dunlap, Flowers, Royal, Orhnberger resign
    Hardwick is done.

rest is MEH city

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I'd take Willie Smith and Rico Matthews to camp to compete as well.

Doubt Hardwick has any interest.

8. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Gotta have back
    Flowers/Dunlap

Like to have back
    Johnson/W. Smith/Gachkar/Matthews/Robinson

Likely to Retire
    Freeney & Hardwick

ABSOLUTELY NOT
    Wright, Gilchrist, Mathews

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    Browns are heavily leaning toward letting go of josh Gordon. If that's the case I say we sign him to a 3 year deal, with insentives. Him and Keenan Allen would be deadly, and a change of scenery could change his whole attitude.
    O line idk, no one I'm in love with ,

10. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Gotta have:
    King Dunlap
    Brandon Flowers
    Eddie Royal

Let Walk/Retire:
    Shareece Wright
    Marcus Gilchrist
    Jeromey Clary (FINALLY!)
    Dwight Freeney
    Nick Hardwick

Would like to have:
    Ryan Mathews (on a 1yr deal, like it or not he's still the best RB on this roster)
    Willie Smith
    Rico Matthews
    Trevor Robinson
    Ohrnberger

Please just cut!
    Jarrett Johnson - He's going to be 34, he had 1 sack this year, and his cap number is $7.5M next year.
    Chad Rinehart - Cap hit of $3.3M, for one of the worst guards in the entire NFL this year.

We should cut these guys regardless, but I estimate we'll have well about $35M in open cap space if/when we do.

11. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    I dunno I like how deep the potential FA rbs look now.

Ingram and Forsett I would pay more than RM. But they both prob get new deals from their teams.

12. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Forsett especially if Woodhead doesn't return.

Ingram has similar issues as RM injuries and a few above avg fumbles but I believe Ingram is very close to having a similar late career resurgence like Marshawn Lynch.

And his legs have about 600 yds less mileage and in that time for RM I think he has earned the spot but I also don't see any more positive growth from his production.

But we have real problems on Oline to address.

13. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I think the NFL season is still under way, nothing to see here yet.

14. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Eh.. coaches are lining up interviews, and with the coaches that are already out the next what if is to speculate on those teams players as most new HC will also either bring in players from previous team or even clean house and send half a team walking.

Speakin of players something tells me Cutler has another year in Chicago.

Even with that huge cap hit number.

15. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887

I'm not 100% sure on player contracts but the league year is still going and I don't think they become free to negotiate until March or so.

Honestly, I don't really know all the in and outs of the CBA and I don't want to waste the time doing so.

16. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Coaches yes as long as not active in post season but they can take calls and arrange interviews.

Players no. But we do know whose all on last year of a contract and a potential FA and thus we can launch the should we sign him threads very soon.

17. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  18. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Pass rush <- We have has none for several years. Ingram is a #2 pass rusher and we need a TRUE #1 edge rusher to team him with. That way we can see what we have in Attaochu. We can break the bank with Houston or grab a young stud at #17. Options are Dante Fowler, Shaq Thompson, Danny Shelton, Shawn Oakman, Vic Beasely, Bud Dupree or in the later rounds Ark Armstead, Devonte Fields, Leonard Floyd

I think OL can be fixed with Health sustained and picking up veterans in FA and ONE good prospect in the draft.

Wide Receiver is looking good too. Like the poster above said, all efforts should be to grab Gordon as Bryant will most likely break the bank on us and then some. I'd only like DGB in the draft or Ty Montgomery if we can't land that great WR prospect.

19. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The same Josh Gordon who has shown that when he was already in Stage 2 of the League Substance Abuse Policy still couldn't muster rubbing together the all-of-two brain cells necessary for common sense to kick and say, "Don't even be around marijuana considering you already have two drug-related dings on your record?" That Josh Gordon?

Sometimes you actually can fix stupid, but you can't fix willful stupidity. Gordon has given absolutely no sign that given another chance he's going to get it. Our money is better spent elsewhere; Kenrick Ellis, for example.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    The Saints are going to start out 2015 something like $10m over the cap. The Ravens are also going to be right up against it because 2015 will be the first year that Flacco's massive contract really kicks in with both high base and high prorated chunk of the signing bonus cap hit.

Honestly, if we're signing any FA RB, I'm keeping tabs on Joique Bell if the Lions don't decide (or end up not able to afford) to re-up him.

21. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Ajirotutu, WR, UFA - Most likely to get a deal similar to Matthew Slater. However, doesn't have the Pro Bowl accolades to add to his resume, so should come cheaper. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/matthew-slater/
    Royal, WR UFA - Most likely to get a deal similar to Brandon LaFell. Even though he had a better contract year, similar numbers. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-england-patriots/brandon-lafell/
    Dunlap, LT, UFA - Another player who's not a 'Pro Bowler', but has been such a revelation at the position. Protecting 17's blind slide for the last 2 years exceptionally well. I expect him to get a deal similar to Will Beaty. He has really exceeded expectations. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/new-york-giants/william-beatty/
    Smith, LT, UFA - Depth, camp body. Think he has some tools to work with, but take him to camp to compete.
    Wiggins, LT, RFA (Tender)
    Robinson, C, RFA (Tender)
    Baca, G, ERFA (Tender)

Mathews, DE, UFA - Have a hard time forecasting Mathews' contract. I think he should be signed to a 2-3 year deal as he has proved to be a solid, penetrating back up DE.
    Gachkar, ILB, UFA - I expect Gachkar to get locked up for 3-4 years. His defensive snaps increased significantly with Butler's terrible play and he raised the bar. Plus his STs value. I expect him to get a deal like Vincent Rey's, may come a little cheaper. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinnati-bengals/vincent-rey/
    Wright, CB, UFA - 29 wasn't too bad this year. I'd still bring him in to compete with Verrett and Williams, who really came on towards the end of the year making a case for himself. I'm expecting him to get a similar contract to Nolan Carroll's, may be a bit more expensive because he had more snaps in his contract year and years prior. May be a more Jeraud Powers like contract. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/philadelphia-eagles/nolan-carroll/
    Flowers, CB, UFA - Shut it down this year. Took most #1's out of the game. He struggled with 2-3 WR's, but that is expected. I expect him to get a similar contract to Brent Grimes, possibly a bit more cheaper overall money. Something like a 4 year $28-30 million. http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/miami-dolphins/brent-grimes/

Last edited: Dec 29, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  22. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    Yeah, but players who make dumb mistakes over and over have sometimes benefited from a change of scenery. Brandon Marshall seemed to not get it as much trouble as he did in Denver for example.

23. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    That's because he actually admitted he had a problem and sought professional help. It had little to do with change of scenery; literally, Marshall started seeing a therapist/shrink and accepted having a treatable psychological disorder. Gordon has yet to show a single bit of ownership to his transgressions. At this point he's far more Titus Young than Brandon Marshall.

24. charger1993

Ratings:
    +162
    True, valid point, but if we could get him cheap with incentives , allowing to be released if broken with little cap hit, I'd take a chance. I mean if we can get him for 6 mill a year, and he turns around who would the offenses guard?? You can't cover them both. It's possible . If you don't roll the dice you never know.

25. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm surprised at the love Willie Smith is getting. Surely we can upgrade at wing tackle jeeeeeeeeez.

26. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    It'll be interesting to see if Bryant or Demaryius Thomas is allowed to hit FA.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Compiling a shopping list, mind you this is without a prediction of the draft, obviously. Looking for some starters, but more likely depth options.

RB - Mark Ingram, Ryan Mathews (test market)
    WR - Randall Cobb, Torrey Smith, Demaryius Thomas
    TE - Charles Clay
    OT - Chris Hairston
    OG - Clint Boling, Mike Iupati
    C - Rodney Hudson, Stefan Wisniewski

DE - Alan Branch, Alex Carrington, Terrance Knighton, Fili Moala
    NT - Kenrick Ellis, Jerrell Powe, BJ Raji, Pat Sims, Dan Williams
    OLB - Brandon Graham, Justin Houston, O'Brien Schofield
    CB - Darius Butler, Brice McCain, Patrick Robinson, Cassius Vaughn
    S - Louis Delmas, Devin McCourty, Antrel Rolle, Da'Norris Searcy

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014
  28. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
  29. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Extremely doubtful on both. Dez is more valuable to Dallas than Murray is - not to mention they've been running Murray to the tune of a number of touches for a season that only the likes of Earl Campbell were able to not have a noteworthy decline in caliber of play following such a season (even Adrian Peterson saw a measurable decline in production following a year with such an excess of touches). Dez directly impacts both the ease with which they're able to run the ball (not to mention their OL is easily Top 5 in the league) and has surpassed Witten in being Romo's safety blanket, and they've still got a sizable cap-commitment to Romo moving forward so best to hedge to protect that.

Denver will let Julius Thomas walk before Demaryius. Realistically with Chris Harris now extended, Demaryius is likely their top priority to re-sign and it's not like they're going to be struggling for cap space (and will still likely free up more by letting Welker walk). The only way I can see DT hesitant to re-sign with Denver is if Peyton retires - since he knows he'll get top (guaranteed) dollar anywhere and I certainly wouldn't be keen on hanging my career (and incentive-payoffs) on the Brock Osweiler hook.

KA's going to be up for an extension from the mid-point of next season onward (again, the likelihood is that they'll extend him while he's still under contract so that they can use that additional year of him being on his rookie deal to distribute/allocate the cap-hit of his signing bonus over) and going to command at least $8m/yr. We're not going to be handing out $10-12m/season contracts to any receiver until Allen's long-term future with the team is addressed.

30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I agree with some people that Telesco has to be creative this off-season as well as aggressive. We honestly can't finish 3 years straight at 9-7 or worse, so TT, your move. Again, I expect him to be aggressive in FA, and most likely draft safe, plug-in play prospects in the draft.

Also expect Rivers and Weddle to get extended. Really don't want them in a contract year. I don't mind giving Rivers another $91.8m deal but he might very well get a 6Y/$100m+ contract.

Weddle can get another 5Y/$40m deal as well, may want $50m though.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2014