1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Free Agents: Will they stay or will they go?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Jan 3, 2013.

1. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    I'm not entirely sure, but I don't believe that you can negotiate a contract with someone until they sign their tender, which he didn't until very late. Second, possibly because a 1st round pick is a significantly higher price to pay for a player than a 2nd?

2. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    They walked because Smitty refused to negotiate in their price range.

3. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And mike Wallace is even more significantly proven and has significantly more talent

4. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Point is, if you want to sign them, sign them NOW. Don't wait till they hit free agency. If you don't want them, trade them and get something for them. To let any player with value, to just walk, is absolutely ridiculous. And that is what would likely happen if we only keep Alexander with the 1 year tender. If the org wants him, sign him. If not, tender him with a tender that will attract a trade offer

5. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I think the team likes what they see in him, but want to see it again. Offering him a 1st round tender will make us keep him for cheap while assuring no other team will try to grab him knowing they'll have to sacrifice a 1st.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,481
    How do you "sign him now", when you're shopping for a new GM, who will make the personnel decisions going forward?

Did you really think that through? ;)

7. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +636
    Bold, definitely. Even Jennings can be worked out so we pay him $3M the first year and more money in 2nd and 3rd year of his contract. But, I'd stay away from back loaded salaries.

8. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    Look at the scratch just given to Meachem and Royal. Now compare their stat lines to those of Gibson, Amendola, and Hartline. There's no way that either of those guys are coming in for a less than 3.4 mil cap hit when you consider salary and prorated signing bonus. I'll give you Barden and Edelman as far as contract, although I'd be reticent to believe in a Belicheck WR doing well on another team, and Barden would be a gamble.

The bold is simply laughable. Jennings will command a 5-50+ contract. His signing bonus alone will be 4+ mil per season.

9. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    It is a figure of speech. I am saying sign him instead of tendering him an offer that will allow him to walk after this year. If they are not willing to do that, tender him an offer than a team might want to just on, so we have a choice to match their offer if it is reasonable, or walk away with a draft pick. We should have done that with Brees instead of holding firm on two 1st round pick, we should have done it with Turner instead of holding form on two 1st round pick, we should have done this with Vincent Jackson instead of holding firm on two 1st round pick. All those players walked, and we gone nothing in return. The team knew damn well that they had no intentions on signing any of those players long term, mainly because of their cost, so trade them and get something in return.

I hope the next GM isn't a moron about this like AJ was

10. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The price for Meacham and Royal was high because the WR market last year was extremely thin after VJ. This year, it is mush deeper and teams will use that in negotiations to drive down prices. I am not sure if those guys will come in at $3mil, but I do think that most of those guys will come in cheaper than Meacham did last year

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Then he walks next year, or at least we allow other teams to drive up his price. Trade him this offseason or sign him to a multi year deal.

12. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    The guy has played 5 games this year lol, he has trouble staying healthy, but when he is often open. You can credit Aaron Rodgers too, he practically throws him open. And those aren't all the free agents at WR by the way, Welker is still out there and Bowe and others. There in a different class than Jennings when Jennings is healthy, so if he gets offered Welker/Bowe money, Jennings should take it and run.

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Alexander has a rather extensive injury history, so that in itself would influence any long term deal he was offered. He looked great in limited action, but so did Gaither the year before. We don't know if the guy can last a whole season yet.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I agree, thats why I am saying that if a team was willing to give up a 2nd for him, Bye Bye

15. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    OK, that's fair. I do like Alexander, but I like Gaither after his brief stint too. The Chargers need to protect themselves when dealing with players who have an injury history...... whether real, or imagined. ;)

16. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    My whole point was, no reason to over pay by tendering him with a 1st round tender when it is highly unlikely a team would even give up a 2nd rounder for him, and if they did, we would have the choice to match the offer if it is reasonable, or we let him go and get a 2nd round pick in return

17. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    No, I get it........ really. ;)

18. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    If we're looking for ILB's through free agency, Dannell Ellerbe really interests me, played in 13, only started 7, and recorded 92 tackles and 4.5 sacks. Filled in quite nicely for Ray Lewis.

19. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    He's probably one of the best choices which really isn't saying much. I'd be intrigued bringing in Malaluga - he's definitely a two down player but you could resign D. Williams and bring him in specifically on passing downs, which is Williams' specialty. I think it provides the best grouping along with Gachkar AND avoids ever using Mouton

20. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Mouton is a waste of a roster space. To think we cut a useful player like Spurlock, and held onto a 'warm body" like Mouton. :confused:

• Agree Agree x 1
  21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Yeah Mouton clearly isn't ready and a terrible pick, what was he a 2nd or 3rd rounder right? I thought he could of groomed under Pagano and Barry, but clearly not.

Gachkar doesn't look bad, but we need someone to pair with Butler. Williams I really liked, but I don't think he's a starter.

22. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    2nd

23. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    Forget Barnes and Phillips.. Sign up Paul ******* Kruger. He explodes off the line of scrimmage into the lineman and makes his move. He destroyed the Indy OL today, and had 9 sacks this past season in 6 starts filling in for Suggs. He's got a motor on him too, he isn't a rotational guy either and probably won't demand Phillips money.

With Johnson, Kruger, Ingram and another pass rusher from the draft think we'd be just fine. Maybe another cheap, FA signing or keep English.

24. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Absolutely not. Total waste of oxygen

25. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +636
    agreed but if we can't find a better option or have the cap to cut him and sign someone else then I don't think you get rid of him with just 4 OLB's.. Again, depends on the coach and GM..

26. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    There are free agent in the middle of the season tat are better than that scrub, and they come at league min.

27. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    There's no reason whatsoever to retain English. None. an Undrafted Rookie FA is an upgrade to English, because the rookie at least has potential.

• Agree Agree x 2
  28. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,481
    Nothing Dr. Chao can't fix. ;)

29. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +448
    What about Cason and Vasquez?, some team is gonna overpay for either or both of them. AJ always had his strict $ value on a player and generally it meant we lost the guy. There were few examples of where he overvalued a guy eg. Castillo, Clary but more where he lowballed ie. VJ, Burnett, Edwards, Sproles. In the case of Sproles he seemed to screw up bigtime, instead of signing him to a long term he had to franchise him twice which probably cost us more in the long run and he isn't a Charger.

I wonder will our new GM operate differently for players that make a difference and should be kept.

30. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,641
    I wouldn't pay Cason because I don't think he's a good player at all and while I'm not against keeping Vasquez, because we likely have to keep Clary (due to cutting the big Lazy Gaither) I'm thinking only way to make lemonade out of the Clary-Lemon is to move him to RG

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1