1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers G.M. explains team’s Friday roster moves

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Jul 21, 2012.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers G.M. explains team’s Friday roster moves

Posted by Evan Silva on July 21, 2012, 11:26 AM EDT

The San Diego Chargers were the NFL’s most active team on Friday, executing three transactions. They released guard Kris Dielman from the reserve/retired list in a move described as a “technicality.” The Bolts also signed defensive tackle Aubrayo Franklin and running back Jackie Battle.

G.M. A.J. Smith explained to the North County Times that the moves were made to improve San Diego’s depth at each position.

We’re three deep at nose tackle,” Smith said, referring to Franklin, incumbent starter Antonio Garay, and third-year man Cam Thomas. “But the versatility of Antonio Garay will allow him to be a floater. This gives [new defensive coordinator] John Pagano some flexibility on the defensive line.”

It sounds like the Chargers plan to run a heavy rotation up front on defense.

As for Battle, San Diego is viewing him as a core special teamer and versatile backup running back.

“We look at him as a three-way player,” said Smith, “but his focus will be on special teams first, running back second and fullback third. He’s a guy we’re going to throw into the mix and see how it all pans out.”
    http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/07/21/chargers-g-m-explains-teams-friday-roster-moves/

2. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    "It sounds like the Chargers plan to run a heavy rotation up front on defense."

I like the sound of that. I have seen too many NFL games won by one line outlasting the other in the 3rd and 4th quarters.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    Isn't that usually what happens???

4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Not always. It is however more apparent in the playoffs. Such as last year when the Denver D line outlasted the Steelers O line. I never thought that would happen. But if Pags plans on rotating the big uglies to keep them fresh I am all for it.

• Agree Agree x 1
  5. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,401
    If Pagano's perceived versatility is more than preseason chatter, then I'm all for it as well. ;)

6. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    We have had a heavy rotation of defensive coordinators. :p

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Me too, after all, it's how the Giants won both of their recent Superbowls, most notably in 2007 when they kept constant & unrelenting pressure on Tom Brady & the historical offense that was the undefeated Patriots.

8. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    You mean it wasn't all ECry Manning? Always happy to see when others realize he was a passenger on that 2007 team, though he was more a participant this past Super Bowl. Of course he can thank Wes Welker.

9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    I guess Cesaire is now the man on the bubble with Castillo gone. If Pagano does utilize Garay as a DE, then Cesaire may be expendable as a backup.

10. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I haven't looked at the roster with any seriousness yet, but sounds like we may need a spot from somewhere for an extra TE or RB.

Off the top of my head, DL would be Garay, Thomas, Liuget, Franklin, Martin, Reyes for certain. Beyond Cesaire, I'm not sure who else we have there. Who am I missing?

11. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    Yeah, he can thank Wes Welker this time (although Tom Brady actually made more mistakes, starting with that stupid safety) but had New England won in 2007, Welker would probably have been named MVP. Wes led the Patriots with 11 receptions for 103 yards in that game.

12. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    Denver has a major advantage over Pitt(as well as every NFL team) since Denver trains at a higher altitude. Denver can get away with less talent/strength as muscle fatigue will not show up until late in the game.

13. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    So I guess Battle is gunning for Hester's job, good to bring someone in to push him harder. Franklin, love the move but it also might suggest more playing time for Thomas at nose tackle. If the Chargers plan on moving Garay at times to RDE then Thomas would be the primary nose tackle. Could also make for a very heavy DL with Martin-Thomas/Franklin-Garay, one very talented run stopping group that could be. But I'm glad finally they're doing something about teams that basically ran down our throats for the last two years

14. rickochey

rickochey BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +127
    All I know is that, this is going to be one hell of a season. I am excited for our FA. I am not thinking about or draft picks because they are kinda irrelevant at this point. With our O with Rivers and Royal... WOW!!! Excitement.

However with Manning in Denver this could really be a major reason for the talent. Denver brought in some major talent also so lets not over look at what Elway has done. Denver was strong with Tebow and now add Manning.. this could be another nail biter come season end.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. _Oz

_Oz Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +31
    :roflmao:

16. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,401
    Camp filler....... Harrell, Scafe, and the two Browns (Eddie and Garrett).

17. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    My point is ECry is VERY fortunate to be a two time Super Bowl MVP. The first time is ONLY because his last name is Manning and the media desperately wanted to have the back to back Manning MVP story (Peyton didn't deserve it the previous year). He actually was a large part of the win this time, so I can see it at least. The first time was a gift when it truly should have been a member of the defense.

18. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    He can thank Assante Samuel last time.

19. Lancer 1

Ratings:
    +341
    You’re right, any member of that dominant defense could’ve been named MVP but not a one of them really stood out, they preformed in unison and when a team wins the Superbowl, more often than not the QB is named MVP.

You’re also correct about the media love for all things Manning, whether they deserve it or not. One recent exception to the “QB is MVP” trend is Ben Roethlisberger, in both of his SB wins, one of his wide receivers was named MVP (Hines Ward & Santonio Holmes).

I still recall cornerback Larry Brown of the Cowboys being named SB XXX MVP for intercepting 2 Neil O’Donnell that were both thrown right to him, while Rodney Harrison was inexplicably not named MVP of SB XXXIX (WR Deion Branch was) when Rodney intercepted Donovan McNabb twice, the last one with only 10 seconds left in the game to preserve the 3 point win.
    Yes he can, if Samuel catches that pass, it’s a whole different story. This time he can also be thankful for the fact that Gronkowski had a bad ankle, and he should also show a little love for his former WR Mario Manningham (now a 49er) who caught 3 passes for 56 yards on the game winning drive, to include a 38 yard bomb down the left sideline that Manningham caught in between two defenders, a step or 2 before going out of bounds. It was a good throw, but a much better catch.

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +500
    There was also that huge guy who was being talked about as a potential O lineman. Bryant was it?. Is he gone already?.

I remember some guy coming on here who was a personal friend of his. Looked completely ineffective as a DT in preseason last year, reminded me of Igor.