1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers get blackout extension

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 31, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG] VS [​IMG]

By Jay Posner, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Thursday, December 31, 2009

The Chargers announced Thursday afternoon that due to the holiday week, the NFL has granted the club a 24-hour extension to sell enough tickets to lift the blackout for Sunday’s regular-season finale against Washington.
    With only 750 tickets remaining, according to the Chargers, it seems highly doubtful that the game would be blacked out. This is the fourth game this season for which the Chargers have received an extension, and in each case the game eventually was televised in San Diego. This is the smallest number of tickets left to be sold at the time of the extension.
    Barring the unlikelihood of a blackout, Sunday’s game is scheduled to be shown at 1:15 p.m. on San Diego’s Fox affiliate, Channel 5/69.

2. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Doesn't it bother you guys/girls that the rest of San Diego is so uninterested in a team that you are so passionate about?

You are making a Superbowl run right now!

I get it, the Skins suck(my wife is a Skins fan:lol: ), but to even mention a black out is crazy!!!

Why is this a reality?

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The blackout will be lifted... :tup:

4. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers received a 24-hour extension to sell the remaining 750 or so tickets needed to avert a local television blackout. It’s the fourth game for which an extension has been granted, and the previous three all wound up on TV.

5. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Uninterested? Hardly...

With unemployment hovering at 10% in the county and this being a holiday weekend, I'm not at all surprised by this.

I've seen more support for the team this season than ever before. You can't drive 2 miles without seeing someone wearing some sort of gear or having something on their car. And that was BEFORE the 10 game winning steak.

When you factor in what it REALLY costs to go, Ticket (minimum $60), parking ($25+), etc. It's not an easy decision to make. Hell, we have folks on this forum that had to give up their season tix this year. Almost had to do that myself when my wife lost her job 6 months ago. Made my last payment for my tickets less than a week before she was laid off. I haven't had trouble selling my 2nd ticket to anyone though.

Don't the Pats require their ticket holders to agree to multi-year commitments?

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The local television blackout for Sunday’s game has been lifted... :tup:

7. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    I'm sure the possibility of it essentially being a preseason game also factors in.

8. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Blackout Lifted: Special Thanks To Our Fans

Posted Jan 1, 2010

Dean Spanos sends a special thank you note to fans for the 47th consecutive regular season game to be televised locally.

Thank you Charger fans for your support throughout the 2009 season. With your support we were able to sell enough tickets that allowed every regular season game to be broadcast in San Diego. In these tough economic times it allowed all Charger fans to watch our games in record numbers. We look forward to an exciting January and your continued support in 2010.

[​IMG]

9. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Local TV blackout lifted;
    San Diego to see Chargers-Redskins

Enough tickets have been sold to lift the local television blackout and allow San Diego to see the Fox Sports telecast of the Chargers-Redskins game on Sunday, Jan. 3 at Qualcomm Stadium. Kickoff is 1:15 p.m. PT. The game will be televised in San Diego on Fox 5. Ron Pitts and John Lynch will call the play-by-play action and Nischelle Turner will report from the sidelines.

The game also will be seen live in the Southern California communities of Palm Springs (Fox 11) and Santa Barbara (Fox 11).

A limited number of tickets, including many Club Level tickets and tickets returned by the visiting team, are still available at the Chargers’ ticket office at Gate C at Qualcomm Stadium, at www.Chargers.com and through TicketMaster at 800-745-3000. The ticket office is open Saturday (10-4 pm) and Sunday (9-5 pm).

This weekend’s game is the 47th consecutive regular season or postseason Chargers home game to be televised live locally, the longest streak in team history.

Fans are urged to use mass transit or carpool, and arrive EARLY. To avoid heavy traffic around the stadium on Interstates 8 and 15, fans can reach the stadium via the Friars Rd. East exit off of Highway 163. The parking lot at Qualcomm Stadium will open at 9:00 am for general parking and 8:00 am for those with pre-purchased permits.

The lot is expected to fill and close early.

Tickets to the upcoming San Diego Chargers’ AFC Divisional Playoff game are on sale now only with the purchase of 2010 season tickets. Fans may purchase playoff tickets by making a non-refundable $200 deposit per season seat. Purchases can be made online at Chargers.com, by calling 877-Chargers, or visiting the Chargers Ticket Office at Gate C at Qualcomm

10. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Massachusetts is living under the same economic conditions as California. Hell, with the taxes we pay here, it may be worse. We still have a sellout for every game before a ball is snapped during the season. We also have a massive waiting list.

Maybe this will all change if you win a Superbowl.:icon_shrug:

11. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    And for the record, I hate to see anyone lose their job or have to give up something that they enjoy because of financial reasons.

12. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Maybe that would change if your weather was 70 degrees in Jan. and there was something to do there. :lol:

13. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Same "economic conditions"? :lol:

When you consider the higher sales tax, property taxes and overall cost of living we have here, football tickets quickly become an expensive luxury. Throw in a higher unemployment rate (California 12.3%, SD County 10.5%, Massachusetts 8.4%), and sellouts just don't come that quickly.

Yet, the Chargers always have "only" 4000-6000 seats left each game.

14. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    If it was 70 in January our waiting list would be 150,000 instead of 50,000.

Head an hour north to the ski areas and tell me there's nothing to do here when it's cold.:yes:

15. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    That being said, the Patriots still have the second highest average ticket price in the NFL @ $117.84. The Patriots have the highest average "premium" ticket price in the entire league @ $566.67!!!:icon_evil: Their "Fan Cost Index" of $597.25 for a family of four to go to a game is, again, the second highest in the NFL.

The Chargers come in at $81.39, $170 & $436.56, respectively. That's $36.45, $396.67 & $160.69 per game for you guys to spend on your sales tax, property tax & beach volleyballs........

Click here for the study of NFL costs

Maybe you should have a pep rally, or something, to let the beach people know you have a football team in town.:icon_rofl:

16. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Besides, we have a baseball park that's sold out every year, AND, a hockey team + a basketball team that are competing for our disposable income during much of the football season.

These factors far outweigh your unemployment.

17. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
  18. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Skiing.....I can do that, right here (If I wanna freeze) F That!

19. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    San Diego's population is filled with transplants, which limits the pool, then when you consider a lot of them don't have the disposable income to go to these games it limits the field.

San Diegans support the team, it's by far the most watched thing on tv in San Diego, unfortunately not all of them can afford to spend $100 per person per game.

I'm not sure what the demographics are in Boston, but I'd image there are much fewer transplants there. Transplants aren't really invested into the team while the people who are born and raised take pride in their teams, along with tradition (which is why the Sox and Celtics, when they're good will always be ahead of the Patriots unless they go on some ridiculous dynasty)

Boston has a larger Metro pop, and really the Patriots control the Mass. market, RI, etc. While the Chargers market is really SD right now, they're encroaching the LA market but the Raiders and Rams are still entrenched there.

Winning never hurts though.

BTW I hope you and everyone else a good New Year. :icon_toast: :icon_party:

20. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Several things besides the fan transplant issue.

1.) There's a deep recession on this year. 75% of the NFL venues have faced blackout issues in one or more home games.

2.) Qualcomm Stadium is one of the larger capacity stadiums. For football, it seats 71,000. By comparison, Gillette Stadium seats 68,000. The Colts Lucas Oil Stadium seats 63,000. Other stadiums seat around 65,000. Those 3,000 to 6,000 extra seats are often the difference between a sellout and wait-and-see for a home game. If Qualcomm seated 68,000 instead of 71,000, the Chargers would have almost no issues with sellouts.

Several years ago, the 2006 and 2007 seasons, the Chargers sold all their season tickets meaning all home games were considered soldout. However, after the 2008 8-8 season, and the recession hitting it's stride, much fewer season tickets were sold for this season.

21. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    Happy New Year to everyone here, as well.

As for our resident population here in Boston......we're a bunch of provincial, in-bred, annoying people(myself excluded, of course.:lol: )

I've moved 3 times since I graduated from college. The first time I moved a whole 5 miles from my childhood home. Each successive move has been closer to my parents. I can actually walk the 1+ mile to my parent's house with the kids in the summer.

People stay put here, which is crazy, because the state and local government suck here. I don't know very many democrats, but, that party has a stranglehold on our elected positions. We aren't called Tax-a-chusetts for nothing.

22. BeerGuy

BeerGuy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +80
    We'll have to see what this years Pats performance will do to ticket sales for next year. My guess is, very little, since there is a massive waiting list. I have a friend who's been on the waiting list since 2000....still waiting........

Football, by far, is the most affordable season ticket, though. I see the fan base that show up, and there aren't a lot of high rollers tailgating in the lots. We're talking middle or lower middle class on average, so I guess our fans choose to spend disposable income on football. I don't know what your fans spend it on.

Regardless of the actual economic cost of living rankings, our "sports cost of living" disparity is enormous:

Pats: avg. tix $ = $117.......FCI = $597 [2nd in NFL for both]

Bolts: avg. tix $ = $81........FCI = $436

Sox: avg. tix $ = $50........FCI = $326 [2nd in MLB for both]

Pads: avg. tix $ = $20........FCI = $172

Celts: avg. tix $ = $68.......FCI = $372 [2nd & 3rd in NBA]

Bruins: avg. tix $ = $61.......FCI = $352

This is funny, because we rank 4th in average ticket price and 3rd in Fan Cost Index. The only teams ahead of us are the Canadian teams. The Bruins are THE MOST EXPENSIVE tickets in the US for hockey.

You get my point, though, right? We have a lot of sports to spend our money on. My kids go to all these teams games at least twice per year. As I've said before, though, I am VERY lucky in that I never pay for tickets because of my job. I also know where to park so that I don't have to pay. That saves me most of the $3,394 that those games would translate to in the FCI (a little less, actually, because they only get to one Pats game).

Besides, I just paid the oil guy over $600 to fill my tank yesterday so I would have heat. My electricity and water bills are through the roof. Hell, I'm grumpy because I'm about to go shovel out from the snow storm that rolled through here last night. As I've always said.....you don't have to shovel sunshine....so let's not compare living conditions right now.:no:

Off to shovel.

23. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Yea that'd explain why the fans really support their teams. You see that with cities who have very few transplants, Green Bay, Boston, etc. While the Florida and California teams have a little more trouble since a lot of the people who live there aren't natives.

Large populations tend to be more democratic. Taxes suck but unless you want to live in the middle of nowhere it's a fact of life.

24. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    Black out lifted or no, we still can't watch the game in the LA market.. ridiculous... I'm getting sick of watching the Cowboys...

25. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Ratings:
    +1,581
    That does suck. Amazing how LA is considered the Chargers market as far as a blackout is concerned. KCBS will show Charger games, but KTTV (Fox) won't.

26. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    well, NFL rules require CBS to show Chargers vs. AFC games... but doesn't require Fox to show Chargers (home) vs. NFC (Away).. sucks being considered a 'secondary' market... Worst of both worlds... so it ends up twice a year, we have a chance of NOT seeing the game. Fox basically gets to pick and choose the games they show, and they always seem to pick the cowboys... (must have quite a bit of bias in their office).

27. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    So... is the game blacked out? Or not? :icon_shrug:

28. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

NO its not blacked out..................

29. RiversRules

RiversRules BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    May as well be, unless you are in San Diego or buy a ticket for the game. Everywhere else in So Cal sees the Cowboys....really does suck.

30. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    thank god for NFL Rewind...