1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers get two 4th rounders

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 23, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers had hoped for a third-round pick and fourth-round pick for losing Michael Turner and Drayton Florence in free agency last year. They just missed. The NFL announced its compensatory draft picks a few minutes ago, and the Chargers received the first two compensatory picks of the fourth round -- the 133rd and 134th picks overall.

Dammit... wanted a 3rd and a 4th... :icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  2. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    BULLSHIIT

:tdown::tdown::tdown:

• Like Like x 1
  3. Skuzzlebutt

Skuzzlebutt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +128
    If Turner wasn't worth a 3rd round pick with the season he had, then who is?!?!?

Also, how is DFlo considered the same as Turner? If our picks are back to back, that means they were rated almost identically, right? BS.

4. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

If its based on money/peformance.....:icon_shrug: I dunno. DFlo got more money than Turner, but Turner preformed like a Pro Bowler while Florence got cut.

The forumula makes no sense.

5. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    m thoughts exazctly

6. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I had hope for a 3rd and a 4th both somehow knew it was going to be a 4th for Turner :tdown:

7. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    We should trade them.

8. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    :lol::lol::lol:

9. maestro876

maestro876 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +63
    It appears that the picks are awarded almost exclusively based on contracts, with performance a distant second.

The picks seem to be ordered exactly in accordance with contract size.

10. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    well we got the first-fourth round compensatory pick so for sure they were thinking we had earned a third but they just didn't want to give it to us or something. Oh well, now we've got two fourths and we just have to make it work.

11. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Back to back BEEF!

12. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636

come on, sober up people, you can't trade comp...wait, I get it :icon_tease:

13. boltmanbz

boltmanbz Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +86
    im with you, thats bs

14. bigcarson50

bigcarson50 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +54
    If need be, how far would our 4th rounder move us up in the third (swap third round picks with someone in exchange for our normal 4th rounder)

15. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    I really thought it was going to be a third and fifth - but I'll take the 4th rounders - 2 great big dudes to plug up the middle...

16. BoltzRule

BoltzRule Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +155
    Is Gibril Wilson really worth a 3rd over Turner? Yea he made more money but Salary shouldn't be weighted so much.

17. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I guess cause turner was just a backup to LT thats why were only getting the 4th rounder for him. Argh.

Should have traded turner A.j. for even a 2nd rounder though I think they would have given us a 1st rounder. IT was touch and go I'm sure. But you've got to get the most with what you've got.

ONe of the few errors A.j. has made. And never draft a wr in the 1st round. Though I don't know who else we would have gotten. That wasn't that great of a draft.

18. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    First we lose prime time spots to the raiders
    now we get screwed on the picks

This is such BULLSHIT!

19. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    If the Patriots had lost Turner, they probably would have gotten a 3rd.

20. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    I should change your 3rd. to a 1st. :yes:

21. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    True, they would probably create new rules.

• Like Like x 1
  22. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I'm guessing they didn't give us a 3rd rounder cause turner wasn't a starter for us when he played for us. Other than that I think we got hosed.

The weird thing in all this is turner probably did more for his new team than any of the other free agents. By like alot. Which kind of makes their system of figuring it out bullsheet.

23. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    There should be a couple of decent fat boys available at that point and we should grab them. More line help on either side.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I am stunned and pissed. How do the freakin Pats get a 3rd rounder and we don't. If this isn't biased I dunno wot is. Who did they lose that warrants a 3rd rounder when the Burner does not?. Was it Asante Samuel?.

Bleeding Hell. Anyone have a link to let me know who got the 3rd rounders and why?.

:icon_evil:

• Like Like x 1
  25. Enormo

Enormo BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +210
    Yes. Beeps.

26. clontarf_bolt

clontarf_bolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +40
    i posted already that we were only gonna get two 4th rounders..

some guy on the chargers.com forum posted how it was determined and I put it on here

Turner's wages/contract was way short of the amount needed to get a 3rd so we just gotta accept it

however the pat's getting a third is bollocks :tdown:

27. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    With the two picks San Diego received Monday, they now own eight picks in this year’s draft. They’ll pick 16th overall in the first round and 78th in the third. Their three picks in the fourth round come at the 113th, 133rd and 134th picks. They’ll also pick in the fifth (148), sixth (189) and seventh (224) rounds. The Chargers don’t pick in the second round this year. They traded that selection to the New England Patriots last April in order to move up in the 2008 draft to secure running back Jacob Hester.

28. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Smith content with two compensatory picks

By Kevin Acee
    Monday, March 23, 2009

DANA POINT – The Chargers received two extra fourth-round picks as the latest fruits of A.J. Smith's inactivity in free agency, the general manager's annual attempt to add by subtraction.

The two fourths – picks Nos. 133 and 134 at the end of the round – were less than what the Chargers had hoped, but Smith insisted the picks will serve his purpose.

“We knew at least two fours and hoped for the bonus (of one of those being a third-rounder),” he said. “No bonus. (But) I like it. We'll do what we can. It's an opportunity to get players.”

Smith has parlayed the benefit of compensatory picks the past two drafts into trades for higher picks. In 2007, he took advantage of an extra third-rounder in a package to move up and take Eric Weddle. Last year he did the same thing with an extra fifth-rounder as part of a package for the pick he used on Jacob Hester.

“Threes and fours are impactful in the draft, either to execute or as ammunition,” Smith said. “ ... We could be creative and go to the second (round).”

While they now have five picks in the first 134 selections, the Chargers do not possess a second-rounder, having traded it away for Hester.

A compensatory pick cannot be traded, but having the extra picks allows for the possibility to trade a team's original picks.

Compensatory picks are awarded to teams losing more, or better, free agents than it gains in the previous year. The NFL Management Council Executive Committee determines the picks to be awarded based on a closely guarded formula that essentially takes into account the salary, playing time and postseason awards earned by the free agents lost and gained.

Based on the total potential value of the contracts signed with their new clubs, Drayton Florence and Michael Turner were considered to have inked contracts in the top 10 of last year's free agent class. Turner was the league's second-leading rusher and second-leading scorer and was named to the All-Pro team.

But the Executive Committee awarded just four third-round picks this season. The Chargers got the fifth and sixth compensatory picks.

“I'm happy for the fact I know they're coming,” Smith said.

Commissioner Roger Goodell indicated that by the end of these meetings Wednesday, the league would be prepared to begin negotiations on a new labor deal with the players' union, and he believes an uncapped season in 2010 and work stoppage in '11 will be avoided. Owners met here Monday morning and began the process of establishing “key priorities in the collective bargaining process,” according to Goodell.

“The primary issue is we need a system that will allow the game to grow,” Goodell said. “We want the players to benefit and we want the league to benefit by that continued growth. The challenging times make it even more difficult. ... There is a lot of risk out there, and that risk is falling on the owners.”

The league seems prepared to use the economy as a bargaining tool against the players as it highlights the fact that sponsorship and licensing revenue are down, along with season ticket sales.

“It's definitely hit us on the revenue side,” Goodell said. “Meanwhile costs are going up.”

Owners voted last spring to do away with the current CBA after the 2010 season. They are unhappy with the revenue split, which guarantees players 60 percent of revenues.

Goodell met last week with DeMaurice Smith, the new NFLPA executive director. Goodell told him he expected the league to be ready after these meetings to commence negotiations whenever Smith was comfortable.

Expanded regular season

Owners will not vote this week on expanding the regular season but began yesterday assessing the possibility of adding one or two regular-season games.

“I think it's a great idea,” Chargers President Dean Spanos said. “I think that's the direction we're headed. We want to make it work if we possibly can.”

It's highly unlikely any schedule alteration would take place before 2011, as issues of roster size and television contracts have to be addressed.

29. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    I say we take beef with our first pick and if Shonn Green is available in the second then we get creative.

Shonn Greene Has Solid Showing At Iowa Pro Day
    Posted by Mike Florio on March 23, 2009, 8:35 p.m. EDT

When the top running backs for the 2009 draft are identified, Iowa’s Shonn Greene often is overlooked.

His Pro Day workout could change that.

Per a league source, 29 teams attended Greene’s session.

He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.50 and 4.54 seconds.

His vertical leap was 39 inches, a two-inch improvement over his Scouting Combine performance. Greene launched a 10′6″ broad jump, good for a five-inch improvement.

He pushed up 23 reps in the 225-pound bench press, a four-rep improvement over his Combine performance.

Per the source, the 227-pounded looked explosive and agile in running back drills.

Greene opted to sacrifice his final year of eligibility at Iowa and enter the NFL draft.
    http://www.profootballtalk.com/2009/03/23/shonn-greene-has-solid-showing-at-iowa-pro-day/

• Like Like x 1
  30. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Terrible system!

Since Senile Al overpays for Gabril Wilson, who doesn't do much to help the Raiders, and is now gone, the Giants get a 3. Meanwhile, Atlanta signs Michael Turner who goes on to start all year, help the team make the playoffs, go to the Pro Bowl, etc. and we get a 4.