1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers going on Season Ending IR

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Bonzi Jones, Nov 3, 2015.

1. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I guess this FO will do anything to keep Donald Brown on the team. In addition to KA13, Brandon Oliver and Tourek Williams go on season ending IR. Oliver going on IR should have had no impact on retaining Nekkid Pics. As far as Tourek Williams, I am not sure why we didnt dump him to start the year. Yes, he did seem improved, especially on Special Teams, but I always had hoped he never saw much if any defensive snaps. He is someone I thought we could have always cut ties with early whether that was straight cutting him or placing him on IR to try to add depth to that position. Unlike Nekkid Pics, at least he had a slight reason to be retained on the 53 with all things considering.

2. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    At this moment, we only have 52 on the roster.

3. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    The hanging on for Trout and Tourek not to mention keeping Brown and Jones around points to abysmal roster mgmt imho. Simply terrible.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    The John Spanos Era is not off to an auspicious start... Id it?

5. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    Oh yea... I forgot about Troutman... Like him getting healthy was actually gonna help the team. I can give a slight pass on Jones since we know what he has been in the past even up to last season. He was a position we needed help at and was someone pretty good at his job. The early anlie injury killed our chances to evaluate him early in the season, but we at least knew from Preseason that Herndon would probably be the heir to that role. But Jones was bad all season. Not that the blocking was great, but he was bad in his own right. Especially last week allowing that punt to drop at the 18-20 yard line late in the game and having it role to the damn 3 yard line. But pretty much all season he did look disinterested when in the game. My thing with the roster is if you have players that you know brings nothing to the team, and they have virtually no upside, I am all for cutting them and taking a chance on a player that is either unknown but seems to have some potential or a player with some possible character issues but upside to fill that roster spot. If that experiment fails, then u cut ties the same way you would have with the bum a$$ player.

6. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Reading the thread title, I thought they just decided to put the entire roster on the shelf. :D

7. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    We could only wish to be so lucky! Speaking for myself, after almost 23 years of fandom (for those who don't know, I am not so young, but I am an Intercontinental transplant) the Chargers Stockholm Syndrome still has a very strong grip on my psyche and I would not mind to have 9 more relaxing Sundays added on to my already shortening life ;)

8. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 Winners Win

Ratings:
    +942
    Who's on our team again?

• Funny Funny x 1
  9. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    The San Diego Rivers...... the rest are largely irrelevant now. ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Someone who is not named Todd Gurley, unfortunately :(

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Ah yes, I can see Gurley now, running a draw behind Chris Watt and Kenny Wiggins for a 50 yard gain while rainbows fly out of his ***.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    It's that rainbow which propels him ;)

13. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Not that unicorn poking him in the ***? :D

14. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Too late to ask Michael Sam? ;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  15. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    So, is a family of carpetbaggers from the 209, who damage a team
    and rob a community of it's team of 55 years, "Stockton Syndrome" ?

Screen Shot 2015-11-04 at 5.28.14 PM.png

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Stockholm, Stockton; Potato, Potaato...

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    100% agree. We seem to be hopeless at this though. One needs to be ruthless in this 'business' and we have the choir boys in charge.

18. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    No kidding.

19. Chaincrusher

Chaincrusher BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +302
    If Telesco had traded up to get Gurley and spent the increased draft currency necessary to get Gurley, my current posts about Telesco would have seemed like a love festival by comparison.

20. gonzokrb

gonzokrb Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +64
    In reference to the Gurley - Gordon comparisons, they are two different type RB. Gordon needs a full back and an OL that can block at the point of attack. Name one time that Gordon broke through the line clean?

21. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Now I attend to agree with most of this, Gordon has missed some huge holes that could of kept him clean through the line. But, you go through those with a rookie.

I think everyone expected this from Gurley. Just not in 2015. It's clear he's now 100%, but before we jump off the bridge, Gurley has only played in 5 games this season and in 3 of those games he's played some of the leagues worst rush defenses (CLE, GB, SF).

Let both players play a full season, or in Gurley's case, the remaining weeks left, before we start throwing Gordon under the bus.

22. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I agree that a full season must be used a better indicator of comparison between these two highly heralded RB draftees of the 2015 class, but I am personally already subscribing to the notion that Gurley is a special game changer RB in the mold of Adrian Peterson and sadly, Gordon is not!

There just doesn't seem to be a fair comparison in the power between these two and no matter of OL or a personal valet (FB) is going to change that factor. Irrespective of holes or their lack of, when Gordon is hit behind the LOS he is pretty much done meaning that initially he can not run over people. I am not citing cases when RBs are gang tackled behind the LOS as no RB, no matter how elite, can scape the clutch of 2-3 very large defendants when hit behind the line or at the point of attack, but Gordon has been stopped dead in his track many times on a one-on-one in such scenarios. Please do not misconstrue this observation with Gordon'r ability to make something out of a perilous situation as I have also seen him give his best efforts and have witnessed him earlier on in the season (prior to mentally handicapping fumble issues) make some gallant yet risky moves to gain extra yards.

I think that Gordon's best attribute is his speed in the 2nd and the 3rd gear and in order for him to present his best assets, he does need a well honed run blocking OL and possibly a real FB in the mold of a Lorenzeo N! I just place Gurley heads and shoulder above any other 2015 RB class because he precisely does possess that 1st and 4th gear that I have also seen in AP. In closing, if the team needs to also invest in a FB in a pass first offense when their best player is their QB, I am resigned to the fact that someone in scouting didn't do their homework correctly and the team possibly overpaid for this RB.

23. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    The team clearly overpaid when they didn't have a dominant O-line in place. You build from the inside out, not the other way around. Too many teams fall in love with a skill player, and forget that if the lines aren't up to snuff, their talent will go to waste.

Drafting a franchise QB before you have an O-line to protect him has always proven to be a disaster. Spending a 1st round pick on a RB isn't much different. Our O-line is terrible at run blocking, so any skills Gordon possesses will go to waste until that is fixed. There's a learning curve for any rookie, but putting him in a situation where he can't be successful is just stupid.

24. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Since I can NOT believe that anyone who is in the gainful employment of a professional football team can be an absolute clueless moron in football terms, I am astonished as to how badly this FO overestimated the abilities of their patchwork OL, as evident by the mega contract agreed with Rivers (like there was another bona fides choice) and also over reaching for a promising and talented rookie RB, clearly not suited (as evident by the system in which he prospered in college) for a pass first high octane NFL offense!

This truly baffles me and perhaps I have paradoxically disproved my own opening statement! :rolleyes:

25. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Bingo. ;)

26. Blitzy

Ratings:
    +1,026
    Bongo! :D

27. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    [​IMG]

28. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    I mean, re-signing Dunlap was huge. He was healthy last year and was very good, it was deserved - so LT was locked down. We threw money at the best LG in free agency and arguably all of football last year in Franklin, and I believe he missed 1 game in 4 years with the Broncos. Watt was the clear cut C heading into this year. RG was a mystery, until we signed Barksdale to play RT after the draft and moved Fluker to RG. On paper, that looks like a very, very good OL heading into this year.

Until injuries hit. Dunlap, Franklin, Watt, Fluker all going down at some point the last 8 weeks. Quite ridiculous for guys who did miss any time due to injuries in 2014.

• Like Like x 1
  29. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +4,411
    Keeping Dunlap was a necessity, but he was already here, so that's not an upgrade over last year. Franklin hasn't looked that good, even when healthy, and Watt has looked overmatched against decent DTs. We knew there would be a learning curve in moving Fluker to a new position. While I agree that the FO made moves to improve the line over what we had last year, it may not of been quite the upgrade they were hoping for. The injuries just made everything much worse.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. SuperCharger92

Ratings:
    +942
    Yes, what I'm saying is, you can't really put this on the front office. Sure, in terms of depth you can. But they signed a swing tackle (Hairston), had decent guards to back up Franklin and Fluker, and had a back up center in Robinson, who showed he was decent when called upon to fill in last year.

You can't predict what guys will be injured in the season. Our starters played all 16 games in 2014.

And what other alternatives where there to Dunlap? He was a one of the better left tackles last season, not elite, but a very solid left tackle - something we haven't had in San Diego since McNeill.