1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers going to LA ? Could you explain?

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by JoeRockhead, Dec 26, 2010.

1. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    What makes everyone say the Chargers are moving to LA? I live in North Carolina, and have heard no national news or rumors to that effect. Other than what has been said on the boards here. Please fill me in if you can. Thanks.

2. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,582
    Alex Spanos needs to sell his ownership in the team by 12/31/2010 in order to avoid major tax issues for his heirs. Speculation at the end of November was that Phil Anschutz was going to be the buyer. He is the 'A' in the AEG group in LA that wants to build a stadium there. Chargers have denied this, though. As of now, Spanos hasn't sold his share yet. Nor has a buyer been mentioned recently.

3. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
  4. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    AEG has also set a deadline for the end of Feb 2011 to purchase a team (which very strangely coincides with the end of all the playoffs). Alex has the team for sale. No other team is for sale and LA is looking for 1 if not 2 teams.

Confucious says .........

5. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    Well I hope they don't move. But your evidince is hard to dismiss.

6. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The 12/31 deadline no longer is true since the estate tax has been put on hold for another 2 years, it was supposed to go back into affect on Jan 1.

7. CraziFuzzy

CraziFuzzy BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    And I think the team has to wait until March or something to back out of the lease for the Q.

8. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Chargers have alreayd told the city they will not back out of thier lease next season, but that is mostly because no team is going anywhere until the CBA is in place. Look for them to play in LA in 2012

9. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    The AEG group wants to move an AFC Team into the area, and will then squeeze the Bolts nearly out of existence. LA is the biggest TV market in the country, currently controlled by the Chargers. An AFC Team in LA kills that overnight. SD's revenue could be decimated, quartered, and even halved as a result and it's already a fairly small organization. The Chargers are looking into the deal, I guarantee it.

10. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    A new owner can change his mind so Deans VERBAL committment prior to the opt out window means DIC.

11. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    Will depend on whether They signed anything saying they won't back out. The new owner would still have to fulfill all legal obligations that the old owner signs. Contracts are signed on behalf of the team, not the owner of the team.

If all Dena did was verbally say they aren't going anywhere, then you are right. But if he did that, he would be pissing on any and all fan support that may follow them to LA

12. JoeRockhead

JoeRockhead BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +196
    I guess this will be something we will have to wait and see. No football next season could put everything on hold.
    This backdoor negotiating stuff will leak out eventually, if it's going on. The press will keep nosing around. It's hard to keep secrets for long these days.

13. ntman68

ntman68 Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +139
  14. L.T Bolt

L.T Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +45
    I think by 2012 they may be in LA again.. ****

15. starry

starry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +13
    That was a bit of a disaster, one year.

16. Harley

Harley BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +82
    unless they're pour'in concrete now (or awt least in the next three to four months) i would be highly surprised if anyone is play'in in LA come '12.

17. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Rose Bowl or the Mausoleum for a year.

18. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The Mausoleum would be used while the concrete is being poured. I think the Rose Bowl was another temporary option discussed. The brothers at AEG will crap out another world venue and Magic Johnson (who is now in bed with AEG) will be the head marketing pimp.

19. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Not true. The estate tax did not stay at 0%. It went to 35%. The Dems wanted it at about 50%, but 35% is still substantial if you have a big estate.

20. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The 35% death tax rate gets implemented in 2013 or a 2 year reprieve by all my reads.

The death tax stays 0% for 2011 and 2012.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I love how you dramatize it rather than calling it the 'estate tax' like it technically is called

22. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    The media invented the "death tax" phrase. They actually got it right by calling it a penalty for DYING. It is one last tax jab at your deadass by Uncle Sam. The grim reaper is not enough that Uncle Sam wants a piece of your lifeless corpse as well.

23. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    The media, or Fox News?

24. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I do not believe that is the case. The tax rates were put on hold except for the estate tax. I watch a business show everynight, and it has been a highly debated topic. I will have to check when I get home.

25. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    All of them are aholes......all of them.

Al Jazerra, FOX, UT forums, Chargers.com, and then there is Bolttalk who was suspected to be under alien influences.

26. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Oh crap.... a couple can pass on $10 million or $5 million per person tax free and then they are hit with a 35% rate starting now. That is for two years......That is my read. The 0% tax rate is for anything under $10/$5 mil limits.

27. vmax

vmax BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +5
    A lot of people take the possible move very personnally and paint Spanos as a villian. I would be dissapointed if the team left, but it would be a decision that I would have a hard time criticizing. If you look at it from the Spano's side they have the choice of holding on to the 35 percent share and loose millions in estate taxes to continue to play in one of the oldest stadiums in the league in a small market that has diffuculty selling out games. The other option is to sell the 35 percent for a profit, move into a new stadium with more luxery boxes and more revenue generation, in a large market selling more tickets, concessions, jerseys, etc. In time, I believe most of SoCal, including SD would consider the Chargers their team in LA much like many San Diegans consider the Lakers their team.

I really hope that the Chargers stay here, but unfortunately, I don't see a new stadium being approved in SD for the next several years. I think the real mistakes made by the Spanos' is a complete lack of PR. We have heard nothing but negative news on this team since the playoff loss last year. Taking the games away from sports radio and not allowing them to be the "Home of the Chargers" as they were in the past, has, I believe, created a very negative relationship with 1090 which ultimately has a negative effect on the loyalty of many listeners. The morning show kicker has such a hatred for AJ and the ownership that he, in my opinion, has lost all ability to be unbiased in his "reporting". In a small market, the team cannot afford to fight the media, they need to mend this relationship and get some homerism on the airwaves to help fill seats and build support for the team and a new stadium. They also have a complete lack of marketing, no billboards, radio ads, tv ads, TV and radio shows hosted by players and coaches, etc. The only real marketing for ticket sales is when the news announces the game will be blacked out if x amount of tickets are not sold. The team needs to engage in building a stronger fanbase through PR, marketing, local Charger shows, etc if there is any hope of the team staying here. As much as I like AJs ability as a GM and support what he has done, his reputation and public image certainly doesn't help sell tickets either.

28. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    Yep. I don't think the government should tax an estate that has already been taxed, but it's not someting I need to worry about:)

29. ntman68

Ratings:
    +139
    Back in the day, did changing the name from the Boston Patriots to the New England Patriots bring in fans from outside the Boston area? Would something like that work here? SoCal Chargers? Just a thought.

30. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    it doesnt matter what you call them, its where they play