1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers granted 2 compensatory picks

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by AnteaterCharger, Mar 25, 2011.

1. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    The Chargers have been granted two compensatory selections, a sixth and a seventh-round pick. The picks are No. 201 and 233 overall.

We have a first, two seconds, two thirds, two sixths and a seventh

2. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Unfortunately these comp picks are driven by-and-large by the value of the contract given to the players lost. With Manu only getting a $3MM/yr avg and Osgood only $2MM/yr, this was pretty much expected. You usually have to break the $4MM/yr avg to net a 5th round comp, $5+MM/yr for a 4th, and $7MM/yr for a 3rd. Hence why, and I haven't looked at the list yet, I expected only Houston (Dunta Robinson) and Carolina (Julius Peppers) to get 3rd round compensatory picks.

3. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Houston got a 7th, Carolina got a third

I really don't get why we didn't get something for Jamal and for LT when they left for pretty big contracts with other teams. The whole compensation pick system is just too much voodoo for my tastes

4. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    I think it's because Jamal & LT were cut.

the others left via FA

5. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Its a shame we had to cut Jamal. The Broncos overpaid big time and we could have gotten a good comp pick for him.

6. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Because we released Jamal and LT. You dont get comp picks for that. We got exactly what has been the speculation for months for Manu and Osgood. Sucks to not have any 4th round picks in this draft but AJ has been trading them away lately. Hope he dont so that this year.

7. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well hopefully the players he traded them away for actually do something this year. Donald Butler in particular is going to have to step up big time.

8. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,412
    He has two 2nd rounders and 2 3rd rounders so I'm not overly worried about the lack of a 4th round pick.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886
    If AJ's first 5 picks don't make the Pro-bowl and HOF in the first year they play, we'll never hear the end of it.

10. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I love it! The more picks the better. AND, AJ seems to do his best work with those low picks so I'm stoked.:D

11. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Don't know how up you are on Achilles Tendon injuries, but they can be career threatening. Now, everything I've read alludes to DB being ahead of schedule on his recovery/rehab, however expecting him to play a significant amount of snaps barely a year removed from the surgery is naive and wouldn't be wise. Unfortunately, so much of the pro game - and Butler's position in particular - is dependent upon short area burst which is precisely what puts the most strain on the Achilles Tendon.