1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers guards...... make that guard

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Feb 7, 2013.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Free Agent Offensive Guards (Pre-Franchise Tags)

The San Diego Chargers' biggest issue in 2012 was probably the play of their Offensive Tackles. However, the way that things presently sit, the Guard positions along the offensive line probably require more attention.

Here are all of the Guards that the San Diego Chargers have signed to contracts through the 2013 season:
    Nope, that's not a misprint. Let's take a look at the Guards that were on the 2012 team that will be free agents in a little over a month:
    This is actually good news for two reasons. First, it means that new Offensive Line Coach Joe D'Alessandris isn't stuck with Guards that he doesn't like or that don't fit his Zone Blocking Scheme. Second, it means that there is probably an open spot on the roster for one of the three Centers on the team that would probably be cut otherwise. David Molk and Colin Baxter have both played a little Guard in their day, and you could argue that they're equally proficient at it as they are at being Centers.

So, besides moving one of those kids over to Guard (and besides the Guards that were on the team in 2012), what free agents are out there that could fill the Chargers' needs?
    • Andy Levitre, Buffalo Bills - I love this idea. Levitre has worked (successfully) with D'Alessandris in Buffalo. He was also the 6th best Guard in the league in 2012 (according to Pro Football Focus) and will only be 27 years old by time the season starts. The Bills are in a similar situation with Jairus Byrd, so whichever player ends up hitting free agency out of those two should be one that the Chargers go after aggressively.
    • Evan Dietrich-Smith, Green Bay Packers (RFA) - Considering how that line played at times, signing guys from the Packers may not be the brightest idea. That being said, Evan is a young, slightly above-average Guard from a Zone Blocking system.
    • Antoine Caldwell, Houston Texans - One of the worst Guards in the league last year, but a young former 3rd round pick that has had Zone Blocking hammered into his head for years now. I wouldn't advocate him for a starting spot, but he wouldn't be a terrible replacement for someone like Hadnot or Wells.
    • Jeff Linkenbach, Indianapolis Colts - An undrafted free agent that got a 3-year contract with the Colts while Tom Telesco was there. Always a chance that he was someone that Telesco really likes, and someone Tom could try to bring to San Diego. Lickenbach played 7 games at Right Guard for the Colts in 2012 and was slightly below-average. He'll be cheap.
    Hmmm, that's not a very exciting list, is it?

No, it's not.

Let's hope that the Chargers have D'Alessandris bending Levitre's ear about how nice San Diego is and how good the Chargers could be in the next few years.

2. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    Re-sign Vazquez, keep training up Troutman, sign Dombo back if he'll go for league minimum, get Levitre and draft another guard in round 2-7.

3. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    If they do in fact move to a ZBS or a hybrid system I really don't think Vasquez could play in it.

4. MadMike

MadMike Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +473
    I think he is still young and athletic enough to work in it. Is he the best fit for that system, probably not, but my guess is we cant afford to replace every position along the line this year. The O-line rebuild to me smacks of a multi year project.

5. Ikeman83

Ikeman83 Werter Pöbel

Ratings:
    +629
    The trouble with Vazquez is that he's a FA, and he'll probably be overpriced in the current guard market. It's an unfortunate situation.

6. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    Well if it comes down to Louis Vasquez vs. Andy Levitre, we just better sign one of them. I love Vasquez, but I think Tyronne Green might be a better fit to play in the ZBS than Vasquez. Then, hopefully we re-sign Brandyn Dombrowski, we have Johnnie Troutman, who I hope develops! But I agree we could draft one, but not til the later rounds (5-7).

7. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    Not Warmack in the 1st? ;)

8. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +837
    I even think Chad Rinehart would be a good (less expensive) addition

9. SuperCharger92

SuperCharger92 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +633
    I like Geoff Schwartz as well, because he can swing to tackle, and has played 4 positions on the OL (except center).

10. matilack

matilack #therealagent47

Ratings:
    +2,696
    I've always liked Vaz, and I think he gets less credit than he deserves for playing next to Clary. But he's definitely not the prototype for this scheme.

• Agree Agree x 1
  11. Blue Bolt

Ratings:
    +3,452
    We specialize in slow-footed offensive linemen. ;)