1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Halftime Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Trumpet_Man, Nov 8, 2006.

1. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20061108-9999-lz1s8midseaso.html

Chargers at midseason

UNION-TRIBUNE
    November 8, 2006

Offensive MVP

LaDainian Tomlinson. All he's done is take two games into his hands. His mere presence has helped Philip Rivers blossom quickly.

Defensive MVP

Shawne Merriman. Even though he is suspended and his absence could contribute mightily to the team's downfall, he was ferocious in the first seven games. His presence makes good things happen all around.

Special teams MVP

Kassim Osgood. He doesn't lead the team in tackles. He's too good for that. He's often facing two and three blockers and setting up others to make the plays.

Rookie of the half-year

Marcus McNeill. The left tackle has answered one of the team's biggest questions, and he has shown no indication he will hit a wall.

Biggest surprise

Philip Rivers. They figured he would be this good. But no one knew he'd be this good. His completion percentage is second in the league, his passer rating fifth. He makes throws some quarterbacks can't even try.

Biggest play

Marlon McCree's 79-yard fumble return for a touchdown snatched momentum from the Rams two weeks ago. The play was started by Jamal Williams' tackle and Jacques Cesaire hitting the ball loose from Stephen Davis. Credit Carlos Polk with directing McCree to run, and McCree would not have scored without key blocks by Drayton Florence and Quentin Jammer.

Biggest disappointment ......... CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE

2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    Special teams MVP - Kassim Osgood

I've noticed, they've moved him to the inside/down the middle of the field... and yea he's getting triple teamed on the way down... could've sworn he was left of center on teams last year...

he's fun to watch bouncing off guys...:yes:

IMO, Defensive MVP should be 'Mal...

3. tboltzcali

tboltzcali Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    I think SM and JM pretty much share this award.

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Having to click on the link was a big disappointment.

:lol:

:icon_wink:

:icon_tease:

:icon_mrgreen:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Dude I agree. I hate having to chase links and I would rather read a whole article here but copywrite laws and all that legal **** blah blah blah.....it does suck man !!! I would think so long as a link is included but some of these links are lagging like this morning the UT boards were lagging big time.

6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    Offensive MVP: LT
    No question
    Defensive MVP: Marlon Mcree and Jamal Williams
    Without those two at their respective positions, this defense would not as good as they are
    Rookie of the Year: Marcus McNeil
    No question
    Special Teams MVP: Kassim Osgood
    Obvious
    Biggest Surprise: Philip Rivers/Quentin Jammer
    Both have played better then was ever expected this year

7. Shamrock

Shamrock Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,243
    Special Teams MVP should be Sci-Fi.

Without that one long return by the Browns, Scifres would be leading the NFL in net punt average. No one else, including Osgood, has been consistently good on the coverage units. Naming Osgood is just the easy way out based on past reputation.

8. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    totally agree... he's been a phuquen weapon... since TC...

9. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    And Jammer is still on your "hate" list :icon_evil: :tdown: :fan: :gunman: :deadhorse:

10. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I don't "hate" QJ... lemme twist an old adage for ya...

3 things can happen when you throw the ball, and two of them are bad... you remember that one right...

in QJs case, 4 things happen when you throw the ball at QJ, and three of them are good - PI, Holding or a completion... :yes:

I just don't understand why so many are willing to cut him soooooo much slack, yet bang on D-Flo who has much less experience and a lower pick...

we're on for the weekend bet, right....:lol:

btw, the 4th is a dropped pass... :icon_rofl:

11. glutton4Bolts

glutton4Bolts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +14
    oh yeah!

12. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I have to say, I basically agree with most of what Kevin Acee says in this article. That says a lot, because I ussually have a differing opinion with most sports writers.

• Like Like x 1
  13. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Beat me to it! Thanks for pimpin' my boy Sham!:icon_banana:

14. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    http://www.nctimes.com/articles/2006/11/11/sports/professional/chargers/22_58_0811_10_06.txt

Chargers can smile about 6-2 first half

By: JAY PARIS - Staff Writer

SAN DIEGO ---- It's the halfway point of the Chargers' season, and the pointed question is this: What will the second half bring?

The Chargers appear primed to snatch their second playoff invitation since 1995. They're co-tenants in the AFC West penthouse with the Denver Broncos, thanks to a spiffy 6-2 mark. The Chargers feature a balanced offensive attack, which is ranked No. 3, and a stout defense coming in at No. 2.

But Job No. 1 today is handing out midseason awards. Here's a look at what's gone right, wrong and what the future might bring to coach Marty Schottenheimer's squad:

Team MVP

RB LaDainian Tomlinson: Is there a doubt? He leads the NFL with 14 scores, he's second in rushing at 828 yards, a mere 2 yards behind the Giants' Tiki Barber. He also paces AFC running backs with 38 catches, which leads all Chargers. Did we mention he helps little old ladies across the street? The Chargers without Tomlinson would be like San Diego minus sunshine.

Offensive MVP

QB Philip Rivers: His game has been as strong as his Southern twang. Golly day, this Alabama kid is more reliable as a starter than the town's other Alabama hurler ---- Jake Peavy. What Rivers (10 TDs, three INTs, 66 percent completion rate) has done in his first eight starts is amazing ---- and it's no fluke. While Chargers fans hated to see Drew Brees kicked to the curb, Rivers' game is a kick in the britches: He's the No. 5-rated passer, who is No. 2 in fourth quarters and No. 4 on third downs.

Defensive MVP

NT Jamal Williams: No, this wasn't written with the lights out. While Shawne Merriman gets strong consideration, the most consistent player has been Williams. While Merriman's selfish actions (intentional or unintentional) will eventually cost him four games, Williams punches the clock and ball-carriers like a robot. The linebackers get all the glory and tackles ---- and it's because of the nasty work Williams does up front. Find him a lei, because he is Pro Bowl-bound.

Biggest surprise

LT Marcus McNeill: A rookie protecting a first-year starting quarterback's blind side? And you expected to go deep in the what? Playoffs? McNeill has quieted the naysayers with the same panache he displays when polishing off a plate of grub. While Rivers' play has been an eye-opener, McNeill's has left people breathless ---- that includes speedy defensive ends unable to master this 6-foot-7, 336-pound beast of a Bolt.

Biggest disappointment .....CLICK ON LINK FOR MORE

15. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    So catches more BALLS this season...

Vincent Jackson or Michael Jackson?

:icon_shrug:
    :lttehghost:
    :icon_rofl:

16. RMANCIL

RMANCIL Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +223
    Hands down the best punter in the league.

17. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195
    Think so too :tup: Go on Mike you have the strongest foot