1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers have some fun at Philip Rivers’ expense following win at Denver

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by ChargerRay, Oct 8, 2007.

1. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news?slug=ap-chargerswin&prov=ap&type=lgns

SAN DIEGO (AP) -- The San Diego Chargers were laughing at Philip Rivers, not with him.

The quarterback's first career rushing touchdown on Sunday not only helped the Chargers break a three-game losing streak, but it brought some levity to a bunch that desperately needed some.

"I got so many phone calls about that run, more than I ever got about any of my runs," LaDainian Tomlinson said while trying to suppress a laugh a day after the Chargers routed the Denver Broncos 41-3. "Obviously it was for how slow he was going. Funny thing about that is, Philip, he was really trying. You know, you can see him, he was really trying to get there and he just looked horrible."

Ouch.

Rivers scored on a 2-yard naked bootleg for the Chargers' first touchdown in the blowout, which pulled the Chargers (2-3) within one game of .500 going into their big AFC West showdown at home on Sunday against the first-place Oakland Raiders.

Rivers rolled right and kept waiting for someone to break free, then finally turned the corner and scored.

"Well, to be honest with you, I'd much rather have Gates or somebody standing wide open in the back of the end zone and make it a little easier," Rivers said, referring to All-Pro tight end Antonio Gates. "I didn't think I'd be running it.

"I've took more heat in the locker room in this last hour than you could believe about that," Rivers said. "I said, 'Hey, I'm glad you're all having a little fun with that.' "

Gates suggested that Rivers might have been wearing boots.

"I got that coming off the sideline," Rivers said. "They said, 'Take your Timberlands off.' It's all in fun. Obviously, I said, 'I'm not going to apologize I scored.' I never intended to be a running quarterback."

Tomlinson said he knows Rivers can run faster than he did.

"Sometimes they say when you run in track you want to stay loose, you don't want to get tense because it will slow you down. I think Philip was very tense at that moment and you could tell," Tomlinson said, starting to laugh again.

The Chargers finally rediscovered their offense and got a little confidence going.

Tomlinson amassed 140 yards, including 73 on three receptions, and his backup, Michael Turner, added 147 yards on 10 carries, highlighted by a 74-yard touchdown scamper down the sideline past the bewildered Broncos' bench in the fourth quarter.

A week after committing three turnovers, Rivers looked more like the Pro Bowl quarterback he was last year. He threw for 270 yards and two touchdowns on 13-of-18 passing for a nearly perfect quarterback rating of 151.4.

"We got some confidence back," Tomlinson said. "But I think more than anything it's just I think we felt like we're starting to find ourselves, this team. That game proved kind of what we do well and I think we kind of found what we can do if we play like that."

But Tomlinson put it in perspective like only he can.

"I don't want us to get all happy and start patting ourselves on the back after one win. It's a long season and we definitely need to make sure that we stay focused on continuing to build on this. No doubt getting that win in Denver was big for us but now we have to turn our attention to Oakland and we have to continue to just build on what we did yesterday."

A week after their own fans were streaming out in the fourth quarter of a 30-16 loss to Kansas City, the Chargers had Denver fans streaming out of Invesco Field.

"I feel a little better than I did a week ago," coach Norv Turner said. Of course, a week earlier, Turner heard disgruntled fans chanting for his predecessor, Marty Schottenheimer, who was fired in February.

Turner improved to 60-85-1 in three NFL head coaching stints.

The Chargers have beaten the Raiders seven straight times, including all four times when Turner was their coach from 2004-05.

• Like Like x 1
  2. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    thanx Ray...

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Gates suggested that Rivers might have been wearing boots.

"I got that coming off the sideline," Rivers said. "They said, 'Take your Timberlands off.' It's all in fun. Obviously, I said, 'I'm not going to apologize I scored.' I never intended to be a running quarterback."

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

dude reminded me of how a giraffe runs:icon_rofl:

4. Electric Chair

Electric Chair Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +579
    Could have been the play that turned our season around.

5. ghost_

ghost_ BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +106
    PR running= paint dry, grass grow :icon_rofl: :flag:

6. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    And I thought Dan Fouts was slow! :icon_rofl:

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    his run needs some sort of sound effect from a video game to mkae it even funnier

maybe a pac man sound or two :lol:

8. RipTheJacker

RipTheJacker Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +152
    i dont understand, he outran Merriman in practice last year, yet yesterday looked like he was running with cement boots lol

9. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942

Maybe the Jeopardy theme?

10. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    My Mother pushing a wheel barrow can get around that corner faster.

11. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    "Take your timberlands off"

:icon_rofl:

At Hooters some dude jumped up and was screaming RUN FORREST RUN!!!! The whole place was dying from fits of laughter.

12. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    that's a perfect quote :lol:

13. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    Ha, Ha, Ha, I said the same thing, except that he looked like a wounded giraffe galloping into the end zone.:icon_rofl: I was screaming at the T.V. Run!!! Run!!! Run!!!:abq1:

I'd like to see them use that bootleg again this year in that situation. Teams might not expect him to try to run again after they see that run.

14. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117

:icon_rofl: :icon_rofl: :icon_rofl:

That is too funny:tup:

15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Phillip "The Blur" Rivers could give Michael "The Dick" Vick a run for his money!:icon_rofl:

16. PhilipRivers#1

PhilipRivers#1 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +464
    I borrowed this from another poster JCDavey on another board.

[​IMG]

17. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    It was nice of JCDavey to speed the video up for us. :yes:

18. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    I'm glad the guys have found something to loosen them up. They needed that in a big way, and I don't think it's too far off the map to say that that single play is going to make a huge difference for the rest of the season.

Beat the Raiders, and it's a brand new year.

19. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    PR running < paint dry, grass grow :lol:

20. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Man did not evolve from monkeys, it was bears.

Rivers looks like a bear on its hind legs running...not a giraffe. More like a bear. :lol:

That moment of indecision to run or not to run had me screaming "run mother fugggger" and Ms. Trumpy was screaming, "he is not going to make it" and I was screaming "run mother fuggggger" :lol:

21. dmercado70

dmercado70 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +18
    watching that play unfold .. even my mom knew that Rivers was gonna take a shot at the endzone .. the whole room must haved shouted ( make it .. get in there ) a dozen times before he actually made it !!!

its cool knowing that these guys are now having fun !!! :tup:

===================================================
    the earth will quake as the heavens reign above the charger blue skies !!!

22. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    I thought experts debunked this footage of Bigfoot romping through the Colorado wilderness?:icon_huh:

23. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    The dive into the endzone was worse than the run. :lol: :bolt: I was glad when he got up and didn't fuc his knees up.

24. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    A Rivers barely runs through it.

25. AnteaterCharger

Ratings:
    +2,928
    more like a trickle then a run

26. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The funny thing is that we've seen Rivers run faster than that (remember Merriman chasing him). It's like LT said, Rivers was so tense, exerting so much effort, that it actually made him run slower.

27. BoltsFanUK

BoltsFanUK Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +848
    :icon_rofl:

28. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Jaws. The pace is about right.

29. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Maybe he's deceptively fast-something to do with his unorthodox style. If he took ballet lessons he could make that TD run in five strides.