1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers help welcome home troops

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Mar 13, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, Mar 13, 2009
    By Casey Pearce, Chargers.com

As a young Marine shook the hand of Jamal Williams Friday afternoon and thanked the Pro Bowl nose tackle for the autograph he’d just received, Williams interrupted the soldier.

“No,” Williams said. “Thank you.”

Williams along with teammates Shaun Phillips and Cletis Gordon showed their appreciation Friday afternoon at Marine Corps Air Station Miramar to approximately 4,000 local servicemen and women who recently returned from overseas deployment.

“Whenever we can show some love to the troops and let them know how much we appreciate what they do, it’s something I’m glad to be a part of,” Phillips said. “This was a special day and I had fun being here.”

Williams, Phillips and Gordon signed autographs, posed for pictures and listened to the stories of those who have served them.

“It’s humbling,” Gordon said. “You’ve got these guys that are younger than me telling me about things they went through in Iraq and Afghanistan. It makes you appreciate them even more.”

Actress Kelly Hu, country music artist Amy Scruggs and actor R. Lee Ermey, a Marine best known for his work in Full Metal Jacket, also were on hand, but the members of San Diego’s team were clearly the most popular visitors.

“Most of the Marines are fans of the Chargers,” Col. Chris O’Connor said. “It means so much that the local team shows their appreciation. We always enjoy having the Chargers practice out here during the summer. That kind of support is unprecedented.”

O’Connor was referring to the walkthrough practices the Chargers have held at MCAS Miramar each of the last two summers, one of the many ways the Chargers show their support to the men and women in uniform that call San Diego home. The team regularly participates in military events, and this August the Bolts will host their 21st-annual Salute to the Military night at a preseason game.

• Like Like x 1
  2. WyomingBoltFan

WyomingBoltFan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +312
    Kudos to Jamal, Shaun and Cletis for showing some appreciation and respect to our nations hero's. :flag:

• Like Like x 2
  3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    I hope no one pulled a Donnie Edwards to the troops and started biitching about their pay. :icon_evil:

4. Kwak

Kwak ....

Ratings:
    +689
    Fuk that ankle biting twit.

Props to the chargers for showing the love.

• Like Like x 1
  5. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    I missed this one, details please.

6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    Really?

IIRC, it was when they practiced @ Pendleton. I think it was second to last year b4 Donnie's contract was up,or prior to him becoming a FA. Anyways, after practice the team was signing autographs for the marines and their families. One of the fans asked Donnie about his future plans after his contract was done, and Donnie proceeded to complain to the whole lot of marines how he was getting lowballed and not getting paid what he should be and if he didn't he was gonna leave town, what a jerk AJ was, ect.

Crying about his million of undeserved dollars. To marines. Not cool. :tdown:

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

7. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    OK, I remember one incident but I thought it was at Fan Appreciation day, I did not realize that it was in front of soldiers.

I also recall that the poster was blasted for the report.

8. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Isn't that little biatch unemployed? :lol:

9. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    This is what I remembered. Some of the Marines had just gotten back from Iraq/Afganistan etc. F'n idiot.

10. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    :lol:

[​IMG]