1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers hire two assistants

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Feb 27, 2007.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    NFL REPORT

February 27, 2007

<!--- BODYTEXT --->The Chargers yesterday made official the hiring of Kevin Ross as a secondary coach and also added Jeff Hurd as strength and conditioning coach.

That almost concludes the staff transition under new head coach Norv Turner save for officially letting secondary coach Brian Stewart out of his contract.

Turner told Stewart on Saturday night that he will let him go, but as of last night Stewart had not been officially released. Ross and Bill Bradley will be coaching the defensive backs. Ross played in the league for 14 seasons, including in 1996 with the Chargers. He was a two-time Pro Bowler. Hurd has been in the NFL for 12 years, the past nine with Kansas City.

Around the league

[​IMG] PACKERS: Brett Favre had minor ankle surgery and is expected to recover in time for offseason workouts . . . Defensive lineman Cullen Jenkins signed a four-year, $16 million contract extension, his agent said.

[​IMG] DOLPHINS: Could release quarterback Joey Harrington and guards Seth McKinney and Bennie Anderson by week's end, sources told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel.

[​IMG] BILLS: Coach Dick Jauron said the team would consider trade offers for starting running back Willis McGahee.

[​IMG] RAMS: Released guard Adam Timmerman.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/chargers/20070227-9999-1s27nflnotes.html

2. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Turner adds Ross and Hurd to coaching staff

Chargers Head Coach Norv Turner has added former NFL standout Kevin Ross as a secondary coach and Jeff Hurd as the team’s new strength and conditioning coach. Both have agreed to two-year contracts.

Ross, 45, most recently spent the 2003-05 seasons as an assistant secondary coach for the Minnesota Vikings. During the 2004-05 seasons in Minnesota, Ross worked under new Chargers defensive coordinator Ted Cottrell.

A two-time Pro Bowl choice as a defensive back, Ross played 14 seasons (1984-1997) in the NFL, including 1996 with the Chargers. He was drafted by Kansas City in the seventh round of the 1984 NFL Draft and made an immediate impact as a rookie, racking up a career-high six interceptions en route to earning consensus All-Rookie Team honors. He played 11 seasons in Kansas City (1984-1993 and 1997), earning Pro Bowl honors in 1989 and ’90. His career also included two seasons in Atlanta (1994-95) and the season with the Chargers. As a Lightning Bolt, Ross was named the team’s Most Inspirational Player and a defensive team captain. He retired from the NFL in 1997, ending his career with 1,142 tackles, 38 interceptions and two touchdowns scored.

Upon retirement, Ross returned to his native Camden, New Jersey and spent four years coaching high school football, two each at Camden High School (1999-2000) and Woodrow Wilson HS (2001-02). In 2002, he went to training camp with the Vikings under the NFL’s Minority Coaching and Administrative Fellowship Program, and in 2003 he was hired as Minnesota’s assistant secondary coach.

In Ross’ first season in Minnesota, the Vikings ranked second in the NFL with 28 interceptions. Safety Brian Russell, a San Diego State alum, tied for the NFL lead with nine interceptions and fellow safety Cory Chavous finished third in the NFL with eight picks en route to a Pro Bowl selection. It was the first time ever that two Minnesota players recorded at least seven interceptions in the same season and it was the first time since Miami (1998) that two players from the same team had as many as eight picks in the same year.

In Ross’ second season (2004), the Vikings advanced to the NFC Divisional Playoffs. In their Wild Card Playoff victory over Green Bay, the Vikings intercepted Packers quarterback Brett Favre four times to tie a team playoff record.

Hurd, 48, has 12 years of experience as an NFL strength and conditioning coach, including the last nine with the Chiefs (1998-2006) and three with the Jacksonville Jaguars (1995-97). His previous experience included working as a graduate assistant at his alma mater, Fort Hays State in Hays, Kansas (1984); the head strength coach at Delta State in Cleveland, Mississippi (1985-86); an assistant strength and conditioning coach at Clemson (1986-87); and the head strength coach at Western Michigan (1987-1992).

3. Buttmunch

Buttmunch Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +108
    That's the first I've heard about the Bills accepting offers for Mcgahee. I love it. That guy is such a pompous arse...typical player from Miami.

4. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I didn't know McGahee was a pain in the @$$. I know he's from Miami and they're players get a bad rap. But what did Wilis do to earn your ire?

5. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Where have you been? :icon_huh: You didn't hear about his comments to the media proclaiming he was the best RB in the NFL? This was around a year ago. Someone started a thread about it and we couldn't believe this guy had his head that far up his butt.
    The guy has been a disappointment, has gotten hurt, complained about the coaching, blah, blah, blah. When he came out and made his little proclamation, people started to wonder if he was another Keyshawn "just give me the damn ball" Johnson or just your typical Miami guy.
    Miami has put some outstanding players out there - don't get me wrong. However, you have to wonder about some of the more recent players (shockey, mcgahee, I'm a soldier damit, etc).

6. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Edge has been the bright spot outta the U lately.

7. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Yeah I recall that quote, but I can give him a pass for that. You have to believe your the best if you're going to compete with the best. I mean what's he supposed to say? "Yeah I'm about the 14th best back in the NFL."

Don't get me wrong, I have a strong dislike for a lot of Miami guys (case in point Shocky, Winslow Jr, Deion, Sapp, etc), but McGahee never struck me as one of "those guys." And honestly I was like totally uneffected by the "best RB in the game" comment because it was such a joke that I couldn't even bring myself to take it seriously.

I can't hate the guy because he's disapointed and gotten hurt. And I think a running back has to want the ball all game long 'cause he's probably going to have at least 20-25 touches per game, so I think it's not as bad for a RB as for a WR. But it is totally unprofessional to call out your coaching staff. And maybe I did hear something along those lines about McGahee.

So you're probably right and he probably is an @$$hole, but I guess he's flown under my radar.

8. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    EC is gonna call ya a flip flopper for this!!:yes: :icon_rofl:

9. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    Definatly wont be the first time. :lol:

The more and more I "investigate" the more I read that makes me not like the guy...

here's a nice fan rant

10. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    Let me give you another example that just came to me. Remember Winslow right before Cleveland played SD last year I believe? Winslow basically stated that he was the best TE in the game. Things got so ridiculous that when Gates was asked about the comment, he shrugged it off but not before making a comment. He stated something to the effect of he's a young player and there are other guys out there like Gonzalez who he would never put himself ahead of, because he hasn't achieved as much, etc, etc. Basically telling Winslow he needs to respect the game and others who come before him, before he starts talking about being the best at his position. While he has goals to be better than his dad (another comment he made), it's one thing to exude confidence and it's another to know your place in history as it currently stands. Say you want to be the best....not that you are the best. Especially when you consider the circumstances Winslow found himself in the first year he joined the league. What a clown.

By the way....Winslow just happens to be another Miami guy. Coincidence? Maybe.

11. Buttmunch

Ratings:
    +108
    To quote someone on this board we all know, "yep!"

12. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    I'm with ya. I think moreso than rationalizing the comment I kinda dismissed it as more amusing than disrespectful. But I can see how you could perceive it as failing to pay homage the history of the game. And there's no denying that Winslow Jr. made an @$$ out of himself and Gates only showcased his class.

And Winslow Jr. was on my list of Miami guys that I said irritate me. The U's reputation for poor character is well deserved.