1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers Hope Turner's Past Isn't Prologue

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by BlueandGold, Aug 17, 2007.

1. BlueandGold

BlueandGold The Oracle

Ratings:
    +219
    http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/08/16/AR2007081602238.html

A very good article on Norv Turner and AJ Smith.

Also some interesting insights on the AJ/Marty feud. Looks like AJ was pissed off by the Baltimore loss too! :icon_rofl:

Smith and Schottenheimer never got along and rarely spoke the last couple of years. Smith's standard reply to all queries about the previous coach is, "The views of how to win a world championship between myself and Coach Schottenheimer were galaxies apart."

The general manager never appreciated Schottenheimer's rigidity, nor the seemingly panicked decisions he made in the most important games. He has longed for someone creative enough to design a great game plan for his collection of stars, but also someone confident enough in that plan to not abandon it when things are tough. He wants a coach who will trust that Tomlinson will do something spectacular even if he has only 30 yards through three quarters. The best ones, Smith is convinced, always find a way to win.

Smith was asked how he possibly could have worked with Schottenheimer if the two didn't talk and had such different visions.

"I think it's over now, isn't it?" Smith said. "I think at zero and two we didn't have much success in the postseason. And there were other situations that I did not like during the season as far as games. One in particular, early in the year, on the East Coast [when Schottenheimer didn't throw on several long-yardage situations in a loss at Baltimore]. There are lots of reasons."

Also a good snippet from Norv on his Washington years:

He complained that the past has not accurately been chronicled, especially his tenure with the Redskins and the memories of his late-season firing in 2000 after a team predicted to win the Super Bowl fizzled out at 7-6.

"We turned that program around in 1999," he said. "We won the division, we were 6-3 when Brad Johnson got hurt. There were a lot of things going on. We had three owners, you know? There's a lot of things that happened there. I took over a team that was 3-13 [in his first season], but we fought through a lot of struggles to get back to where we were a playoff team and a respectable team. I don't want to sound defensive, but that one is not portrayed the way it should be."

Turner was asked about Daniel Snyder, the Redskins owner who seemed to torment him for so many months, and before the question could be finished he shook his head. That time doesn't bother him, he said. That's just what happens in this business he has chosen.

"If I bought a team and I told the guy, 'You got to play this quarterback, he might decide to get another coach,' " Turner said.

Someone asked if Snyder really did that.

"Sure he did," Turner replied.

Another reporter, unfamiliar with the history of Turner's downfall in Washington, asked whom Snyder wanted to play.

"We were playing Brad Johnson through that period of time," Turner said, then paused. "He liked, um, Jeff George."

And the men gathered at the table with Turner broke into uproarious laughter. The coach smirked.

One of the best articles I've read on the Turner hiring to date.

2. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    That is good stuff .. thanks for sharing. I think Turner would have a little better reputation if he hadn't taken the Raider job.

3. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man New Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good read and thanks. That was tight. :tup:

4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug New Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Dan Snyder is turning into a Post-1985 Al Davis.