1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers hopeful Antonio Gates will play this week. Floyd OUT Kaeding OUT

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by CoronaDoug, Oct 18, 2010.

1. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Chargers hopeful Antonio Gates will play this week

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on October 18, 2010 3:47 PM ET
    When the NFL schedule came out, a lot of folks looked at San Diego's early season slate and said the defending AFC West champions may start out 5-1 or 6-0.

Instead, they are 2-4 with a date against the Patriots coming up this week. And they look more banged up than ever.

First, the bad news: Kevin Acee of the San Diego-Union Tribune reports that wide receiver Malcom Floyd and kicker Nate Kaeding are not expected to play against New England.

The good news: The Chargers are "hopeful" tight end Antonio Gates will suit up despite what appears to be a toe injury. San Diego was also missing wideout Legedu Naanee in a loss to the Rams Sunday.

San Diego's receiver depth is a big issue this week because they could present matchup problems for New England's so-so secondary. The Chargers scored 79 points in their two home games this season.

Chargers hopeful Antonio Gates will play this week | ProFootballTalk.com

2. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Gates seems OK; not so for Floyd, Kaeding

By Kevin Acee

Monday, October 18, 2010 at 1:37 p.m.

The Chargers are optimistic tight end Antonio Gates will be able to play against New England despite a toe injury suffered Sunday in St. Louis.

The Chargers, for all their woes, may have caught a break Monday with news that the toe injury Antonio Gates suffered in St. Louis is not serious and the tight end could play this week against the New England Patriots.

“It means a ton,” quarterback Philip Rivers said. “As big as not having Legedu (Naanee) or not having Malcom (Floyd) … with what we do with Gates, that’s one that could have an affect on our approach to a game more than the others.”

That said, the Chargers will likely be without Malcom Floyd this Sunday after he strained his hamstring against the St. Louis Rams.

The Chargers are also poised to have to find an other placekicker for at least a week, as Nate Kaeding’s injured groin will likely sideline him for a time. Kaeding “tweaked” his groin in pregame warm-ups and did not kick off Sunday. He did make one 41-yard field goal but slipped while attempting a 49-yarder. That kick caromed off a Rams’ player’s back.

Nick Novak, who made two of his three field goals for the Chargers this preseason, is not an option. Novak is kicking in the UFL.

Floyd left in the second half of the Chargers’ 20-17 loss at St. Louis. He made two catches for 15 yards.

Gates was injured in the first quarter while blocking on a Ryan Mathews’ run. He left the game but returned to make two catches for 12 yards.

Gates referred after the game to having his ankle rolled, but head coach Norv Turner said Monday it was a toe. Turner said the injury was unrelated to the toe injury that hampered Gates in the 2007 playoffs and required offseason surgery.

Gates has started 85 straight regular-season games. He battled through the toe in 2007 and an ankle injury in the 2008 playoffs, catching passes in all five of those games while starting four.

Gates, who has led the Chargers in receptions six straight season, is tied for the NFL lead with seven touchdowns among his 31 receptions. He entered Sunday with the third-most yards (378) in the NFL.

Rivers has never quarterbacked a game for the Chargers that Gates hasn’t played in. Rivers has completed at least one pass to Gates in all but one game in Rivers’ 77 games as a starter (including playoffs).

“I would have to imagine when a defense starts talking about us,” Rivers said, “the first guy they game-plan for is Gates.”

Gates seems OK; not so for Floyd, Kaeding - SignOnSanDiego.com

3. nickelbolt

nickelbolt Fuggedaboutit

Ratings:
    +886
    I told ya' Nate was broken.

4. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,584
    Very relieved that Gates will play. Crayton played very well, Buster was hot/cold at times.

5. ThunderHorse17

ThunderHorse17 Lone Wolf

Ratings:
    +341
    Damn. What the F is this toe injury report now?? I saw his leg get rolled on when he made his first catch, which was the play you could see something had happend to him. The second hit he got to me almost looked like one of those malicious attempt to take him out of the game type hit.

We all kno what Gates is doin playing through injuries. So we got a Decoy Gates that will catch one or two 1st downs to keep the D honest against his ploy to draw coverage for being who he is.

At least Crayton had a great 1st game as a starter for us. 112 yds on 6 catches or somethin like that. We really need Legs on the field. Not only to be a outside threat but he is a great blocker too.

6. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    How does Nate tweak his mangina in warm-ups??

7. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    That is why we had some decent kick offs.

8. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    This is VERY VERY good news as far as I'm concerned.

Just the fact that Gates won't be missing 6 weeks feels like a victory too me.

9. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    BTW are you ******* kidding me Nate? An injured "groin"? What did you pull your vagina slipping on TURF? How the hell do you slip on turf? On a FG no less?

Nate Kaeding looks like a deer in headlights, I have zero confidence in this guy, time to go get John Carney.

10. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Nate needs to be placed on the same IR as Merriman. Release his sorry *** and move on.

11. NorwayBolt

NorwayBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    Hi guys, Do you think the horrible start by the chargers, combined with injuries on Floyd, Naanee and Gates (glad he is back, but still..) could make a difference in AJ's priority, and result in VJ reporting back in week 8?

12. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    I doubt it. Our WR's are not the problem... at least not yet. If Crayton continues to step up then we will be fine. Buster on the other hand is playing for his job.

13. NorwayBolt

NorwayBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    I guess WR are not the problem, but when the team loses, isn't it important to see the team as a whole, and improve every possible aspect of the team?

14. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    AJ will not cave in to VJ regardless of the situation. VJ will not help our special teams or defense. That is what is keeping us from winning.

15. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    Yes. But AJ Smith is a harsh negotiator - don't ever expect him to go groveling to anyone, especially when he sees no reason to. Perhaps having VJax on the field will improve the most productive offense in the league but it's not time to play the "perhaps, we could try" game. AJ wouldn't even entertain that thought for a second anyway.

16. Aggieman

Aggieman I bleed blue and gold

Ratings:
    +194
    I can think of 5 players on offense that failed to play their positions well enough to protect the quarterback on Sunday. Philip Rivers' inability to buy time factored heavily into that loss.

17. CoronaDoug

Ratings:
    +814
    Yes I failed to mention the O-line. Big time suckage.

18. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    And Norv's inability to adjust the play calling to what the defense is giving us. When they are throwing an all out blitz every down, why do you keep going into a 7 step drop? Get rid of the ball quick, and get the defense to back off on the blitzes.

19. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    You do realize that 2-3 of those sacks were on the RB's getting blown up by a blitzer, don't you? Same goes for the fumble last week, that was Sproles guy and blew right past hit to get to Rivers.

By the way, I am not saying the line is good, because they are not. Just pointing out that the RB's are terrible at pass blocking, all 4 RB's (Hester, Matthews, Sproles, and Tolbert)

20. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Can a kicker be put on IR?. If so, do it. For me Nate needs to be gone simple as. I hear you can't cut a guy who is injured so next best thing is IR the lad and dump him when healthy. I have zero confidence in him when he needs to make a kick. I wanna see Goodman get some time on kick returns. Get Sproles more involved in the passing game including playing him in the slot. If anybody can put a move on a guy and get open it is he. Oh and have quicker developing plays instead of the 7 step drop bombs. Also, have Philip practice getting rid of the ball now and again, start throwing it at guys feet and stop 'taking' the sacks. Those 7 sacks sunday were probably 75% O line 25% Philip imho.

21. DenverBolt67

DenverBolt67 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +629
    I think part of it was on Norv continually calling 7 step drop plays, also. Good play calling can mask the lines deficiencies. But Norv calls the same plays, no matter who is in the game, and that is completely moronic. If you have a line that can't block for more than a second or 2, why do you call plays that take 3-4 seconds to develop? People keep calling Norv an offensive genius, but the ability to adjust to what the defense is giving him, is terrible

22. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    Yep totally agree I should have given Norv's playcalling a percentage aswell!!. Just wanted to point out that while we have a fantastic QB and leader he needs to get rid of it more often.

23. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    I couldnt have predicted this scenario more during the VJ tirade. Why was it so hard for the faithful to not understand we need as many good players as possible. Sure PR still has good stats but you make guys that were # 3's on the roster now # 2's and on. Take anyone out of that fragile equation and your left with FA castoffs and practice squad guys moving up.

This team hasnt been run poorly, it was staged for this exact scenario. They couldnt have possibly believed losing talent was even close to a good thing... wait... they did, and banked everything on it.

24. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I don't give a ****, because VJack is not worth 50 million dollars to any team.

If he wasn't going to play for his tender, he wasn't going to play at all...its a business decision that affects the team long term, something of which you are far too immature to understand.

25. LightEmUp

LightEmUp Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +11
    Thats not true. 6 mill and the Vikings proved it.

6 mill, thats all it took to get VJ to sign. Not 50.

Try again.

26. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    uhh, wrong. Nate pulled his mangina during WARM-UPS!!!!

They need to cut the trainer and Nate

:mad: