1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers in the Schools

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by TheLash, Jun 13, 2007.

1. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    As you guys all know my son has Autism. God bless the Chargers and the Spanos' for their support of the cause and this kid who's father is off fighting for us all. I wish I could get some giant scary players to go to my son's school when obnoxious kids pick on him.

http://chargers.com/news/headlines/spanos-lewis-receive.htm

Through tears, Marley Nelms struggled to express her gratitude to Chargers President Dean Spanos and Director of Player Outreach Dick Lewis.

“I just can’t thank you enough for how you’ve lifted the spirits of my family through your commitment to helping others,” Nelms said.

Nelms is functioning as a single parent as her husband Chad, a Major in the United States Marine Corps, is completing his third tour of duty in Iraq. The Nelms’ son Chandler, a kindergartener at San Diego’s Kate Sessions Elementary School, is one of roughly 500,000 young Americans that battles the social and communicative disorder of Autism. Earlier this spring, Chandler’s classmates picked up on some of the expressions of Chandler’s disorder and began picking on him and bullying him.

“With autism, they lack so much in communication but you can kind of see it in his spirit,” Nelms said. “He was a little more agitated and just not as happy-go-lucky.”

With Spanos’ direction, Lewis arranged for offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, guard Kris Dielman and defensive tackle Brandon McKinney to visit the school and help raise awareness and understanding of autism among the students and faculty.

click on link for complete story.:abq1:

2. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Good read.

Thanks for the coaching on Asperger's Syndrome. This caught me quite by surprise within the last few days that a family member has this disorder.

I knew absolutely jack squat about Autism. Nada. No clue.

I did not even know "Rainman" was autistic which someone said he is because I had never seen the movie "Rainman". I just watched it and what that dude had was not Aspergers Syndrome but hardcore Autism.

Hell, I do not even know if "hardcore" is even an appropriate term because I know there are varying levels of autism so all this is still new to me.

Hey thanks for the heads up and sideline coaching. It helped big time. :tup:

3. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    You are just hormonal. :yes: :abq2:

4. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715

Actually most of us parents of autistic kids hate Rainman because due to that movie many people think that's what autism is. The guy portrayed in that was an Autistic Savant. That means they have the communicative disabilities to a lesser extent and are gifted with some sort of greater than natural skill (ie. math, exceptional memory, music, etc). Savants are maybe %0.001 of autistics. Most kids just get the f*ck*d up part of the disorder. I will say that although my boy can't really talk once he does finally get something into his head it does stick there. He even made student of the month once this year!:icon_toast:

Chispa, too bad I can't blame my emotions on being hormonal.:lol:

5. Trumpet_Man

Ratings:
    +654
    Albert Einstein and Thomas Jefferson were autistic or had Aspergers Syndrome.

I can see where the movie somewhat labels the masses because it is really a condition which is not well known such as diabetes etc.

The savant part I have seen, and that is what tipped me off that something was amiss other than the disjointed thought progressions. I use the word "amiss" when it is perceptual realities which is normal for one but not for another.

****, I have a hard time defining what is normal sometimes and it means different things to different people.

The movie "Rainman" brought forth a condition which most people never even heard about which is the double edge sword because not all autistics are savants and are a very small percentage as you pointed out.

I was reading where there was a lawsuit about MMR (measels, mumps, rubella) vaccinations potentially causing autism...I am not sure where the litigation stands but interesting reading nonetheless.