1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' ineptitude is comically sad

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Chargers' ineptitude is comically sad
    Kevin Acee

Corey Liuget stood in front of his locker and shook his head, then shrugged, then offered all he could – a series of politely profane sentiments.

“I don’t know,” he said. “My mind is racing so hard right now. … (Expletive). (Different expletive). We’ve got to (expletive) win. My heart hurts, my head hurts. I got all these aches and pains. If we’d have won, it wouldn’t hurt.”

And then the 300-pound man with the ice wrap on his shoulder and blood dripping down his leg bowed his head and dissolved in tears.

The whole of Chargerdom is rightfully angry at its team. This franchise has gone off a cliff and taken fans in San Diego and beyond down with it. We can’t accept the continued ineptitude at all levels.

But even if you believe you’ll go streaking through the quad and into the gymnasium when Mike McCoy is fired Friday, it has reached a point where you almost feel bad for how this death march is going.

Even by Chargers’ standards, the way Sunday’s game imploded into a 34-31 loss to the Oakland Raiders was difficult to believe. This is epic. Embarrassing, really.

Good Grief! The Chargers are the Br-… No, we can’t possible say that aloud.

But listen to Travis Benjamin, who signed in San Diego to escape this kind of thing:

“I came from Cleveland, so you know what that’s like, losing at the end and turning the ball over and just dumbfounded like, ‘How could it happen?’ ” Benjamin said after taking a deep breath and and letting out a long exhale to gather his voice. “… It gets frustrating. We feel like we can win, then the unbelievable happens for four or five weeks straight.”

McCoy appeared to choke down the beginnings of a sob multiple times in his postgame press conference, the Chargers head coach for maybe just one more game having reached the point where anger gives way to shock.

“Just when you think you’ve seen it all,” he said, “something like that happens.”

That would be the snap on what would have been a game-tying 36-yard field goal try – about a 95 percent proposition – going through the hands of holder Drew Kaser with two minutes to play.

You thought losing a 21-point lead with 21 minutes to play in the season opener was bad? You thought leading at the two-minute warning in the first three losses was bad? You thought being the only NFL team to lose a two-score lead in the fourth quarter this season – and doing so twice – was bad?

This was bad.

This bad: Ever-upbeat, Sunday School clean Philip Rivers watched the football roll out of bounds on the final play of another preposterous loss and briefly considered losing his marbles all over the place.

“If I didn’t have my faith or my family, I don’t know how people do it,” he said. “I would literally be a lunatic. I know I get crazy some, but I would be out of my mind. Because I was having these thoughts of coming in here and screaming and hollering and saying things I don’t say.”

Instead, Rivers took a knee near midfield and surveyed the wreckage, attempting to find an explanation he knew would never come and vowing to get back to trying to find a solution he must continue to believe will arrive.

“I’m going to attack it head on and keep fighting,” he said. “That’s the only way I know.”

It’s easy to sit detached on the outside and assess that a bad team loses close games. This is a bad team that Sunday dropped its fourth one-score game this season. It’s not difficult to identify the Chargers’ myriad faults, and we have examined them several times already through four losses in five games.

But the end for McCoy – because there can be little justification to keep him should the team lose at home Thursday to Denver – is heartbreaking in its folly.

The man can do no right even as his players do so much wrong.

He was questioned Sunday for lining up for that fateful field goal attempt, even though every coach in the NFL would have done the same thing. The Chargers were 1-3, not 1-9. Their defense had just made a stop, and their offense was not exactly stumbling. Overtime was the smart play.

The only way it’s OK to go for it on fourth down there is if you think it would have been the right call to kneel and then punt on those two disastrous series at the end of the previous week’s Saints game. Yeah, in hindsight, it may have worked out better. But no way is it the right call in foresight.

“It’s too early to say, ‘What is there to lose?’ and go for it there,” Rivers said. “… By not kicking it there (you would have been) saying, ‘We don’t believe in anything.’ ”

A week after fumbles on successive offensive snaps derailed the Chargers in a game they had no business losing, they were poised to tie a game Sunday they had no business being in.

A victory wouldn’t have made the outlook much better. This injury-addled roster shouldn’t have any reasonable expectation it can sustain over the course of a season. But it would have felt good for one night. Heck, the Chargers could have envisioned beating the Broncos at home Thursday night and getting right back in contention. They would have deserved that delusion.

But that’s not how it happens with this team.

“Discouraging is probably not stating it strong enough,” Rivers said. “I don’t know if there are many more ways left to find a way to lose.”

The way it’s going, we’ll probably find out.

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    They need to blow the whole team up. Fire McCoy- now- Do it tomorrow morning at a 10 am press conference. Fire the rookie punter/holder and make an example of him. F-ing up as badly as he did, he needs to be held accountable.
    None of this bleeding heart crap. He's Nate Kaeding 2.0. The guy is personally responsible for 10 Raider points and the loss. Burn his jersey until it's nothing but ash.

It's time to trade the veteran guys who have any value and rack up draft picks. Play the kids and tell them they are playing for their jobs next year. We need to go into FULL REBUILD MODE. When the dust finally settles on this 1-15 season, sweep the front office and entire coaching staff clean. If possible, get the Spanos family to sell off the team. We've had too many years of losing to think anything from this regime is worth salvaging. Get rid of the dark blue uniforms- they are the uniforms of losers. Bring back the powder blues. Burn down that piece of sh!t stadium that is the Q- I'll light the first match.

This whole organization is a cheap, bush league operation and should be treated as such. They need a hard-nosed coach who will end the country club atmosphere that began when Norv Turner arrived. This is a football team- not a polo club.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jesse Kemp

Jesse Kemp BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +537
    I don't blame anyone for wanting to go into full rebuild mode, but I don't personally see the motivation. This roster, injuries included, is easily good enough to be 5-0 right now with a competent head coach. That doesn't call for a blow up. Fire McCoy, hire someone who- as opposed to McCoy- has at least one clue and two balls, and try one last time with Philip. Once Phil retires, it will blow itself up.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. ChargersDepressYou

ChargersDepressYou BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +3
    Didn't think the score would be this close. Glad I missed the game to see Hildabeast get wrecked instead.

Godspeed fellow Chargers fans, have hope. Greater things will come.

• Optimistic Optimistic x 1
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    Things will get better, I understand. It just didn't happen today...

6. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    Not sure I agree with this part. I understand what he is saying but the other coaches in the NFL do not have a team right now like ours. I feel they needed to do the unexpected. We need to ignite our season and get past the previous implosions...this was a way to do it. Show some b@lls and do what no-one else would do. Playing the percentages has achieved heehaw for this ball club in the last few seasons. What part of the last two seasons has suggested that we would go on and win in OT. The D continues to bend but hopefully not break, the O sometimes looks amazing but other times...the ST...well the less said about that the better. Give it to PR17, make something happen.

We go for it and can't move the ball a foot with PR17 and MG28 so be it...at least we tried. The season has gone to sh*t anyway. Going for it and maybe beating a team when we're the underdog hopefully does something for the organisation and we get some positives out the remainder of the games.

Instead we put the game in the hands of our rookie punter who has just logged a punt 16 yards and been shook up enough to need treatment on the side lines (although I didn't see how). Is it still 95% success rate in those circumstances...sometimes you need to look at what is in front of you not what the stats say has happened to other people in different shoes in the past.

Going for it and failing or missing the FG...either way fans would have complained, I get that. I'm just saying I would have been okay with failing when going for the win instead of hoping for a tie.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The more I think about this the more I agree that this is clearly a team good enough to be 4-1 if not 5-0. Even taking into account bad injuries to three superstars on the team, the Chargers have really good depth and players at a number of positions including a group of young players currently serving as backups that are seen as the future (McCoil, Brown, McDonald, Pulley, Tuerk). So much of this is just mindset and culture, and that's heavily on the coaching staff. We aren't firing McCoy before thursday, so get that out of your head. But Friday should be end of the line for him, and frankly for Pagano too. The only way to save anything is to show accountability and that means the top guys get canned.

Next year I think the team needs to reload a little bit; get the interior OL figured out, find a new left tackle, possibly change to a 4-3, but you're not talking like a Cleveland or a Chicago level tear down.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. yantubos

yantubos BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    Fire McCoy. Fix football team.

9. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,412
    Ravens fired their OC, and their record isn't even that bad. I wonder what it's like to root for a franchise that has actual accountability. ;)

10. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    John Fox's coaching "tree" (in actuality a bush) just SUCKS! Manning managed to get Fox fired (too conservative in style akin to his former OC and protege MMMT) and they won a SB when Manning was actually in decline! McCoy is just plain HORRID (advanced apologies to Mrs. Hart to have taken that title away from her horrid Hubby which is now bestowed firmly upon MikeMcMilkToast!) and has no business being an HC in the NFL. He will also make more or less the same $ by being an OC to another NFL team which pays according to market rates. I don't see anyone losing if and when he's let go!

11. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Maybe Trestman can be our OC under interim coach Whisenhunt. :tup:

12. Blitzy

Blitzy Spanos Chargers Troll

Ratings:
    +1,026
    I'm willing to wager that Trump will have higher National percentages on 11/08 than the Charger's Prop C! :laugh: