1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Ingram, Allen fumble with fans

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, Jan 31, 2016.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2016/jan/30/chargers-ingram-allen-fumble-with-fans/

Whoa, whoa, whoa. Tap the brakes, Melvin Ingram. Take a minute to think, Keenan Allen.

On a postcard-perfect day filled with the most Chargers-related joy since the jersey of touchdown-scoring magician LaDainian Tomlinson was retired, a couple of players suffered monumental brain cramps.

Team chairman Dean Spanos sparked NFL hope more rare in these parts than the Hope Diamond itself when he announced Friday that the Chargers would play in San Diego for 2016 — and potentially far beyond.

There’s hope. It could be fool’s gold. It could be short-lived. But hope, it is.

Then, Ingram and Allen jumped on Twitter and started bossing around their fan base. Ingram wrote, “Every home game better be sold out..Charger blue everywhere Fans got what they wanted Now come support.” Allen added: “The stadium better be packed. The fans got what they wanted.”

[​IMG]Melvin IngramVerified account‏@MelvinIngram
    Staying in San Diego 4 another year..Every home game better be sold out..Charger blue everywhere Fans got what they wanted Now come support

[​IMG]Keenan AllenVerified account‏@Keenan13Allen
    So it's looks like we are going to be in San Diego for another season. The stadium better be packed. The fans got what they wanted.

In a season filled with an avalanche of injuries, a couple of cramps might not be surprising — but it was galling.

Let’s get one thing straight: Teams that finish 4-12 don’t get to demand things of its fans.

Do you have any concept of what it takes to attend NFL games? It doesn’t matter in your world, because you’re paid millions. But it matters in most of ours. It takes hundreds of dollars to buy tickets for just one game, to park a car, visit a concession stand and, for the financially fearless, buy a program or souvenir.

What did the thousands and thousands of loyal fans who did show up get for torpedoing bank accounts in a city already among the most expensive in the nation? They got 4-12.

Look closer and, miraculously, the return on investment spiraled even more.

None of the four teams the Chargers beat — the Lions, Browns, Jaguars and Dolphins — posted winning records. Two, the Browns and Dolphins, finished dead last in their divisions. The others, second to last.

Qualcomm Stadium, even with a troubling share of opposing fans at times, finished 19th in the 32-team league in attendance — despite the team tripping over itself inside it tying for the 30th best record.

Make demands? You should be saying, “Thank you.”

Did you somehow forget the tsunami of support after the Miami game, when fans crushed on top of each other long after it was over to reach out and say thanks to you, to say you mattered, in case the opportunity proved to be the last?

Did your cramping cranium blot out the image of the throng lining Chargers Park in the dark after you returned from Denver with a season-ending loss, the fourth in five games?

And you’re willing to risk calling out that fan base? Try this: Win some games. While you’re at it, win some meaningful ones. Make the playoffs.

You want crowds? What in your right mind do you think would happen in Inglewood, where you would be the fourth or fifth or eighth best option in town? There are the Dodgers, Lakers, USC, UCLA, Clippers, Kings, Ducks and a Rams team with a history, a head start and about 50,000 ticket ordering commitments.

Allen, to his credit, tried to clarify his comments a few hours later: “Those last messages weren’t shots at the fans. It was me keeping it real with what needs to happen in OUR stadium!”

[​IMG]Keenan AllenVerified account‏@Keenan13Allen
    Those last messages weren't shots at the fans. It was me keeping it real with what needs to happen in OUR stadium!

The Union-Tribune requested late Friday afternoon to speak with both players. A team spokesperson said they could not be reached, but a back-pedaling tweet from Ingram followed late Saturday morning.

Ingram wrote, “I would never questioned (sic) the fans commitment I kno there (sic) committed... My last tweet was saying now let’s sell out every home game....” He continued: “And make 2016 a special season there’s no place like San Diego and I'm glad to still be here... #SanDiegoChargers4life”

I would never questioned the fans commitment I kno there committed... My last tweet was saying now let's sell out every home game....

And make 2016 a special season there's no place like San Diego and I'm glad to still be here... #SanDiegoChargers4life

At that point, however, it felt like damage control — no matter the sincerity.

A tour of social media showed damage already had been done.

Comedian, actor and national radio host Jay Mohr tweeted: “Um @Keenan13Allen @MelvinIngram ‘Fans got what they wanted’? Millionaires get to PLAY in most beautiful city in USA. What was it YOU wanted?” He chided: “What a PR disaster. All @Chargers players follow me: ‘What a blessing to be home in San Diego in front of the greatest fans on Earth.’ ”

[​IMG]Jay MohrVerified account‏@jaymohr37
    Um @Keenan13Allen @MelvinIngram "Fans got what they wanted"? Millionaires get to PLAY in most beautiful city in USA. What was it YOU wanted?

One letter to the Union-Tribune from a fan from Oceanside gauged the frustration, as well.

He wrote, I “have to say how completely disgusted and turned off I am by Charger players Allen and Ingram saying that the stadium ‘better be packed’ and ‘every home game better be sold out.’ After their play on the field in 2015 — and after what the Spanos family has put San Diego through? And now we ‘better’ show up? I don’t think so. I’ll spend my money on something else.”

Ingram and Allen need to learn from veterans like Philip Rivers, Eric Weddle and Malcom Floyd, who greeted fans and signed autographs until their hands ached after the Miami game. Weddle stayed so long that the grounds crew had to wait until he stopped sprawling across the midfield logo to dig it up for the upcoming Holiday Bowl.

That’s the response. That’s the reaction. That’s a show of appreciation and respect for the people who pay the Chargers’ bills.

Running back Danny Woodhead showed smarts and savvy on Twitter: “Can’t wait for this season and knowing we will be playing at HOME! Let’s go San Diego!” Mohr noticed: “See the difference in the message? ‘Can’t wait’ ‘HOME’ Kid gets it.”

[​IMG]danny woodheadVerified account‏@danny__woodhead
    Can't wait for this season and knowing we will be playing at HOME! Let's go San Diego!

To Ingram and Allen: No one is questioning your ability, your effort or your commitment. Continue to use your uncommon skill, speed, strength and sweat to help San Diego find more and more reasons to support its Chargers.

Next time, use your heads as well.

- See more at: http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com...-allen-fumble-with-fans/#sthash.oFADYWcK.dpuf

2. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Wait. This is something we're supposed to be angry at?

I saw Keenan's tweet without the added commentary telling me how to feel about it and I had absolutely no problem with it.

• Agree Agree x 4
  3. JohnnyX

JohnnyX 2017 Chargers Head Coach

Ratings:
    +378
    Brah you're gonna let them check your fanhood like that brah

4. Fouts

Fouts I heart Deano!

Ratings:
    +350
    I agree stadium should be full of Powder blue, it was embarrassing watching the Steelers, Pats, Bronocos, etc take over the Murph, (watching from my comfortable living room) :ninja:

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ This past season and for the last couple of years it truly made me wonder whose stadium I was walking into over in Mission Valley... Maybe the sign to the stadium should read: "Home Of The Visiting San Diego Chargers."

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,583
    Well, outside of teams within our division (Broncos, Raiders), we won't be having any teams that draw well on the road. We play the NFC & AFC South this year. At home we get the Saints, Bucs, Jags & Titans. We get the Dolphins as well, as the lone AFC East team. Last I checked, none of those are teams that travel well. Maybe the Saints? Might be some interest with the Bucs and Titans with Winston and Mariota.

7. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    I see it both ways.

No player likes playing in a stadium completely filled with opposing fans.

But no fan, especially fan of a 4-12 team, likes hearing from spoiled players that they need to spend their money on the team.

Don't think it was the right thing to say but I hope both sides understand the other's points.

And yeah I know i'm bringing rationality into this debate...so both sides will want my head :)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +636
    I have no problem with the tweets, to me what both meant to do was pump up the fans, I'm thinking that both players where happy to stay in San Diego when they wrote them

9. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    WTF I've seen some stuff on here in my time but rationality!!!!

You can't see me* but I'm shaking my head and have a moderately disappointed face on....:eek:**

For shame Anty....for shame...:(

In fact GO TO YOUR ROOM...

and don't even think about coming out until you're ready to apologise and post numerous sweeping generalisations, opinion as fact and insensitive rhetoric...

;)

*copyright Mr J Cena
    ** couldn't see a disappointed face emoticon so this'll have to do but rest assured if there was one I would've used it***
    ***twice****
    ****:laugh:

• Funny Funny x 1
  10. Montrose

Montrose BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +223
    My two pennies worth....

Lads who get hit in the head a lot struggle with conveying clarity of message = not a shock

Move along nothing to see here...:rolleyes:

11. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    The same Keenan Allen sporting a Raiders cap earlier in his career.

Maybe if the players are so concerned about this, they will have a talk with DEAN SPANOS who's marketing people have actively courted opposing fans, and sell a huge amount of season tickets to brokers who sell to opposing fans. Most of the visitors sideline is owned by ticket brokers from what I understand.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  12. Pointyearedog

Pointyearedog I only put idiots on ignore...

Ratings:
    +1,734
    ^^^ I would go so far as to say that the brokers also have a fair share of the home sidelines too. I never know who is going to be sitting in my area, and I am behind the Chargers bench!

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. Bolts4lyfe

Bolts4lyfe BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +1,031
    I can understand the frustratonhe players have about getting shutout of their home games by opposing fans but they should have left out the "fans got what they wanted" part.

Other than that this is non news

14. House of Hayne

House of Hayne Chargers Smash

Ratings:
    +204
    Win and all of this :poop: goes away
    Simple. Be 12-4 and see how many games we "home" sell out
    KA13 should buy season tickets for the fans
    Along with Ingram

• Winner Winner x 2
  15. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The phrase "The fans got what they wanted." Sounds particularly off putting to me, like maybe these guys had fantasies of grandeur in Los Angeles.

Really the whole thing just shows out of touch NFL players can be. Guys like Keenan and Melvin are big fish where they come from, always expected to play in the NFL someday, now they're young men with money who've never had a real job or any appreciation for what $20 an hour really brings. Particularly in a city like San Diego, where you have a very defined line between the HAVES and the HAVE NOTS, and the ones in the middle would like to be haves so they save their money.

16. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I got a feeling about KA's contract negotiations. Actually, had he played all 16 games and collected his 110+ receptions I'd bet you we'd already be talking about it.

He seems like the type of guy who's going to want to test FA, especially if Rivers retires out of nowhere.

17. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I read the opposite in fact. It sounded to me like both of them esp Mel wouldn't mind one bit having to move to LA.

18. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    But I didn't read it as checking my fanhood. I read it as telling us to fill up the stadium with Chargers fans, which to be frank is exactly what needs to happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
  19. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    Because it's his fault a division rival of his favorite team as a pre-NFL football fan drafted him?

• Like Like x 1
  20. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    If I am drawing a paycheck from Coca-Cola, I don't walk around in a Pepsi hat just because I like it better. Besides, it's no big mystery that the fans of the team who drafted him don't like the team on the hat he's wearing.

This sh*t is pretty simple, but I know you often like to argue just to do it.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2016
  21. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    IMHO it was a growing moment for a Rookie. The veterans (as I recall reading) told him not to do that shyte again, and he didn't argue, didn't front, just said 'ok'.

I really have a big problem with Ingrams or Allens comments. Their wording is not well thought out, but it is a tweet not a PR release. And the fans lambasted them for it. What it did was just make it a little harder to get the non-football fans in SD to vote with the team. I imagine that impact is also negligible.

Time will tell I guess...

22. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    I'm not saying it wasn't a dumb brain fart and lapse in judgement on the part of the rookie who was just drafted to wear the hat in public, I'm just saying that it's hardly relevant material within the context of this discussion and his recent tweets.

23. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    It's entirely relevant. He seemed to be questioning the loyalty of fans, so I pointed out his perceived lack of loyalty to his employer and those same fans.

24. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,419
    It'd be relevant if he was still wearing the hat today and argued that he should still be able to wear it.

It was a rookie mistake that has little if nothing to do with the merits of whether or not a player can call on the fans to fill up their own home stadium with home team fans.

Perhaps their choices of wording can be nitpicked, but I have no problem whatsoever with their message.

25. Savage Lizard

Ratings:
    +984
    Except that both of them seem oblivious to the reason there were more opposing fans than usual last season. Again, it seems pretty obvious that they were insinuating that the fans weren't loyal. In Allen's case it's more absurd due to his previous faux pas.

[​IMG]

26. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    I hope KA13 doesn't go the Vincent Jackson Dbag direction. But I can see the signs starting to show

27. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,157
    At the end of the day, both young guys probably are guilty of little more than expressing themselves carelessly, here.

Dopey? Sure.

A big deal? No.

Both corrected themselves the same day.

28. ChargerRay

ChargerRay #FireMcCoy #FirePagano Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +867
    Not a big deal. Hope the fans do respond and go out there to support the team this season.

• Agree Agree x 1
  29. Bonzi Jones

Bonzi Jones BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +84
    I see all those tweets as harmless... Maybe they were side jabs to the fans to come out and support them, but they do have a point. It was embarrassing seeing the stadium look like a visiting team's home game EVERY week. Some ppl might want to get in their feelings or say that's what happens when you go 4-12, but what about early or middle of the season when they were not 4-12. Hell the Browns have been historically bad, but their stadium never appears as bad as the Q did. So if you wanna get mad at them talking a slight shot, then so be it, but if you forget about all the PR BS and say the right things for the camera and ask to hear the truth unfiltered, then I wouldn't see why it should come across as offensive to anyone. Some times you need your good friend to "check you" when necessary (similar to how the vets checked KA his rookie year for wearing a hat he had all rights to wear).

30. House of Hayne

Ratings:
    +204
    The Browns fans are just happy to have football they don't care about the score

• Agree Agree x 1