1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Injuries - Roster moves ahead

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Blue Bolt, Sep 22, 2014.

1. Blue Bolt

Blue Bolt Persona Non Grata

Ratings:
    +4,413
    Chargers left to sort through injuries

It was less animated on those who understood what Monday would entail.

The team has a busy day ahead, set to sort through a number of injuries. The most severe is to running back Danny Woodhead; his announced ankle injury was the only official ailment the Chargers disclosed. But there were others that will require further examination.

San Diego likely will be without Woodhead the rest of the year. While the team has running back Marion Grice on the practice squad, it is expected to first survey its options elsewhere.

Adding a veteran seems ideal.

Donald Brown and undrafted rookie Branden Oliver are the only healthy running backs on the Chargers' roster. Too much inexperience may be left behind Brown should they decide to simply promote Grice, a rookie sixth-round draft pick, when rounding out the backfield. Ryan Mathews is expected to miss another few weeks or so with a Sept. 14 knee sprain.

Two defenders exited the fourth quarter.

Cornerback Jason Verrett and outside linebacker Reggie Walker respectively departed with a hamstring and left ankle injury, sources said. Neither man was on the field about the final 10 minutes of regulation.

Walker had his ankle taped on the sideline but could not return. His absence left the Chargers with three outside linebackers to finish the game between Jarret Johnson, Dwight Freeney and Tourek Williams. Rookie second-round pick Jerry Attaochu was active but saw limited snaps; a hamstring injury kept him from practicing all week, and he couldn't finish the game.

The Chargers carry Cordarro Law on the practice squad.

The former CFL outside linebacker seems more likely than Grice to be signed to the 53-man roster prior to Sunday's home game versus the Jaguars.

Cornerback Brandon Flowers fell hard on his hip late in the second quarter after dropping an interception. He was able to finish the game.

2. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    No, adding a veteran running back is absolutely f-ing essential...today or tomorrow!

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I thought I just posted something like this in another thread about the fact that more than one guy went down. Oh hell, just go out and sign a whole new damn team.

4. HollywoodLeo

HollywoodLeo Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Or we can do nothing because there's a lot of injuries and we're not the ones employed to sign anyone.

5. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Do you know the total extent of the injuries?, if you do then please enlighten us all.

6. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    That would be overreacting. :p

As of now we have 1 open roster spot with Ingram going to IR.
    If the reports on Woodhead are true we can expect to have 2 open roster spots soon.

I don't think it's unreasonable to be discussing free agents.....:alien:

7. HEXEDBOLT

Ratings:
    +1,887
    I never said it wasn't but all the facts need to be known first to make the first move.

8. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    Did I claim to know that?

9. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Know what? What did I miss?

10. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    It's right there in the post I quoted.

11. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    They are, we have 2 injured running backs.....

No matter what way you slice it we need a RB, it's either going to be Grice or someone not on the roster, or maybe even both.

....or are you hoping the UT was lying, that Woodhead's speech to the team after the game yesterday was just an inspirational one, and he'll be back in a couple weeks?

12. HollywoodLeo

Ratings:
    +2,424
    That's funny, because it sure sounded like you did when you made this post

The 2nd part I edited out that talked about the other injuries was treated like a sidebar to your main point of telling us to stfu.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Oh I don't see a quoted post. Figured it out. Thanks.

14. JAMMER

JAMMER BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +182
    Marcus Lattimore available?

15. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I kinda liked Lache Seastrunk from Baylor in this draft just gone, he's on Carolina's practice squad, we may need a new RB. Is he better than our backup guys?

16. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    The question is he better in whatever facts over LaMichael James, Marion Grice, BJGE and maybe Michael bush? And for that I doubt it.

17. Razma

Razma Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +115
    Hope we go with Grice. Get some fresh legs with him and Oliver and hope for the best.

I still think Brown can handle the load we just have serious issues with playcalling at the moment. Team isn't built for running up the middle Troutman is one of the worst run blocking guards I've seen in a long time. Give me some stretch/zone runs and I'll be much happier then with the up the middle for 1 runs.

18. Lance19

Lance19 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2,160
    Someone run down to Oggi's, and pull LT off the tap...

19. Moses

Moses Can You Stand The Rain?

Ratings:
    +358
    I'd forgot about LaMichael. He'd make a more like-for-like replacement to Woodhead. Maybe we take a look at him...

20. Lancer 1

Lancer 1 Eternal Optimist

Ratings:
    +341
    Looks like it might be D.J. Adams – the team worked him out today and there is already a bio page for him on the Chargers website:

http://www.chargers.com/team/roster/dj-adams/56c50101-78ce-4f31-80c0-1cdf602bc2c8/

He’s a rookie who we originally signed, but cut. The Cowboys picked him up, but they cut him too.

If this is the answer, I hope he’s real good – I thought that they would go with a veteran, but then again, Brown is one & Mathews will eventually be back (hopefully soon).

Adams could just be the practice squad replacement for Marion Grice though, we'll eventually need one of those in addition to another RB for our 53.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2014