1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Injury Report

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 16, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Wednesday, December 16, 2009

Shawne Merriman has begun wearing a protective boot to further aid in resting his ailing left foot. After missing Wednesday's practice, Merriman said he suggested the boot to the Chargers' medical personnel after reading about it helping others with plantar fasciitis.

Merriman has missed at least one day of practice for six straight weeks and will likely play in pain the rest of the season. He said he will play Sunday against the Cincinnati Bengals.

Cornerback Quentin Jammer missed practice with a toe injury but is expected back tomorrow.

Outside linebacker Shaun Phillips also missed practice, as he has every Wednesday (and some Thursdays) since the second week of November to rest his injured ankle.

Nick Hardwick remains at least another week away from being ready to play, and he did not practice today.

The defensive line remains thin, as Alfonso Boone (knee) and Travis Johnson (shoulder) missed practice.

Johnson regularly rests the shoulder and is expected to play, and the Chargers are hopeful he will play Sunday.

Free safety Eric Weddle returned to practice and participated in every drill.

Norv Turner said Brandyn Dombrowski has earned the right to continue starting at right tackle.

2. powayslugger

powayslugger Feckless Slappy

Ratings:
    +276
    Can't wait to get Hardwick back.... but what are they going to do with Mur...ski?

3. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    Well I was wrong, I predicted Merriman would be on IR after the Cowboys game..........still he looks a full step slower than he used to.

4. Helljumper

Helljumper BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +54
    It's disappointing to see Hardwick still not being good to go. He's been expected to play "next week" for the past 3-4 weeks.

Great to see Weddle fully participating in practice again though.

• Like Like x 1
  5. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    hopefully weddlle stays hurt- not a coincidence def started played its best ball all year after he got hurt- not a hater but i see him blow coverage after coverage and continuely get burnt- i will admit he is a solid tackler but its usually always after big chunks of yds have already been gained.This might be harsh but hes our modern day "Toast" imo Now i know hes much better than Elvis Patterson but i joke with my friends and call him "Toast" Weddle HAHAHA

6. in_a_days

in_a_days dgaf

Ratings:
    +1,018
    you may need to borrow this....

[​IMG]

:lol:

7. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Hey sorry I just call em like i see em Ive watched every game hes played and i was impressed with him as a rookie when he was playing as nickelback but since then have been less impressed i like oliver better than him and would like to see more of the rookie cj spillman he has looked pretty good in preseason and the last few weeks in limited action

8. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    im sorry i think he was what they call the "dime" safety his rookie year

9. Alpenbolt

Alpenbolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +156
    Time to move him to the inside?

10. Sydalish

Sydalish Addicted to Sports

Ratings:
    +1,807
    We're definitely not watching the same games... :icon_huh:

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Injury update

It doesn’t appear that Jammer is in jeopardy of missing Sunday’s game. Head Coach Norv Turner said Jammer’s toe was sore and “keeping him off it for a day was good.”

On a positive note, safety Eric Weddle[​IMG] (knee) fully participated and appears on track to return following a two-week absence. Weddle said he will wear a brace on the knee during the next couple games.

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Chargers FS Eric Weddle was all smiles after his first practice since leaving the Nov. 29th game because of a knee injury. "I didn't have any hiccups today. I was just flying around. You couldn't even tell the knee brace was on."

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    S Eric Weddle's return will cause a slight shakeup in the secondary. Weddle will settle back in at his starting spot at free safety, with rookie Kevin Ellison staying at the strong spot. Steve Gregory, who along with Paul Oliver was rotating in when Weddle missed two games with a knee injury, will stay at the nickel role.

14. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,551
    I don't think so. Cooper, Burnett, Siler, Dobbins all have the inside locked up pretty good. (albeit I'm not a Stephen Cooper fan)

IF we win this week, I think we rest him for the last 2 games, and hopefully we get the playoff bye. He serves no purpose right now, he's getting stood up by single blockers and he's not fast enough to chase down any ball carriers.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I hope Hardwick will play in one of the last two games, so he won't be rusty in the playoffs.

16. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Weddle is one of our best playmakers against both the run and the pass, is a defensive leader pro-temp, is our surest tackler, and always plays 100%.

I do like the progression of Oliver, but come on man, Weddle is a stud. :abq2:

If you are talking about the guy who used to blow coverages don't worry, I fired him weeks ago :lol:.

• Like Like x 1
  17. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    Weddle is a stud huh? I guess I just need glasses :icon_huh: He makes a lotta tackles but theyre usually always after big yds. How many tfl does he have? Sacks? He has one int. We did ok against cowboys potent passing attack disregarding that meaningless last drive without that stud. :icon_shrug:

18. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    Acee via Twitter:

Boone, Jammer & SP return to practice. Hardwick working on the side and Merriman working inside

19. CasualKnowledge

CasualKnowledge BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +19
    I'm so glad to see Weddle back. He is having a career year and can't wait to see what he does with his next opportunities.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

We need Boone back... :tup:

I didn't think I would ever say that... :lol:

But its working... :abq2:

21. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820

:icon_wtf:

22. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    :icon_rofl:

You can't make this **** up.

He's a safety! The reason why he makes a lot of tackles down field is because that's his job. More often then not he is the last line of defense before giving up the long touchdown. ESPN just wrote that he is the best open field tackler in the AFC West.

http://espn.go.com/blog/afcwest/post/_/id/7560/afc-west-players-honored-for-fundamentals

The guy is a stud at what he does, which is roam center field, call plays for the defensive backfield, read and react and most importantly not give up the big play.

After a couple of decent years, Weddle is having a break out season and is playing at a Pro Bowl level.

23. wrbanwal

wrbanwal Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,036
    because our medical staff didn't know about this form of treatment??

WTF OVER??

:icon_huh:

24. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

Hey buddy, where ya been?

:wave:

25. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

Prison. Thanks for asking. :flag:

• Like Like x 1
  26. wrbanwal

Ratings:
    +1,036

work furlough

or

parole

??

27. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Merriman still out, Jammer practices

Thursday, December 17, 2009

Shawne Merriman remained out of practice today but is out of his walking boot and is expected to practice tomorrow. Merriman has missed at least one day and usually two of three weekday practices since injuring his foot Nov. 8 at New York.

Quentin Jammer (toe), Travis Johnson (shoulder) and Shaun Phillips (ankle) all returned to practice fully after sitting out Wednesday. Defensive end Alfonso Booe, out since the Dec. 6 game at Cleveland with a bruised knee, returned to practice as well and worked throughout.

Receiver Legedu Naanee missed practice with a foot injury. He has missed practice with the same injury this season but has yet to miss a game.

28. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    QFT.

There are 2 big reasons why the Chargers are the best defense against the deep threat in the NFL.

1. Sure tacklers like Weddle and Cooper up the middle.

2. Great man corners like Jammer and Cro against deep routes with great safety help from, guess who, Weddle and Ellison/Grego/Oliver.

You could say that Weddle's productivity has been the most apparent factor in our deep ball defense.

29. mandude

mandude BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +59
    It's amazing how stupid people can be. I mean I get it, people learn the game over time, no one is born understanding football. But man, to come on and argue that weddle sucks, and then not even understand how the safety position works, that's just pathetic.

TO 14FOUTS:
    Please learn the game before announcing your judgements. It just clutters the board. Ask questions, read about the team, and try learn the difference between Madden and NFL.

Also you are not fooling anyone by putting "FOUTS" in your handle. It's clear you are a poser, if you had been watching the chargers since the fouts area you'd know the signs of a good Safety, and would have seen how his absence hurt our run defense against the cowboys. There's no shame in getting into a team when they are hot. I didn't know Brees from Flutie 7 years ago, now I am a die hard, fanatic. Winning seasons are a great hook to convert people into long time fans... that being said, you're still a douche.

30. 14fouts

14fouts BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +11
    LOL now I'm a douche? Really? For stating my opinion? And btw i've been a diehard charger fan for 25 yrs so go **** yourself! I forgot more about football then u know. Who calls someone names for not agreeing on something they said? What are u 10?