1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Injury update

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    • Like Like x 1
  2. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    I know this is a good week to get healthy....but this is a game they can't afford to choke. Got to win the gimmies.

3. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Friday, December 4, 2009

Eric Weddle, the safety who injured his knee in last Sunday's victory over the Kansas City Chiefs, is the only Chargers player declared out of the upcoming contest at Cleveland. However, withheld from practice before the team headed to the airport Friday were linebacker Shawne Merriman (foot), defensive end Luis Castillo (calf) and center Nick Hardwick (ankle), all listed as doubtful for Sunday.

Typically, head coach Norv Turner said their playing status won't be determined until the last few hours before the game. Obviously, the fact that the Browns are 1-10 will temper any temptation of using a vital player whose injuries need more time to heal, especially with the Dallas Cowboys next on the San Diego schedule.

At the same time, Turner said he doesn't put a great deal of stock into vague reports of player availability from opposing teams. In the case of the Browns, they're not only bad, but extremely battered, particularly on defense.

"I always go back to a long time ago," said Turner. "We had a game (with the Rams) where two (Cardinals) tight ends were both supposed to be out of the game. One caught nine and the other caught 11 balls in the game."

With Weddle not expected to play this week due to a knee sprain suffered in last week’s game, Defensive Coordinator Ron Rivera will use a variety of different lineups in the secondary against Cleveland. Paul Oliver[​IMG], Kevin Ellison[​IMG], Steve Gregory[​IMG] and rookie C.J. Spillman[​IMG], who has seen action on special teams but hasn’t played with the defense yet, will all be in the mix.

4. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    They reported on NFL Network that Merriman "re-injured his foot last Sunday..." :icon_evil::icon_evil::icon_evil:
    Which brings me back to what I was saying 4 days ago, WHAT THE **** IS A GUY WHO DIDN'T PRACTICE ALL WEEK DOING IN THE GAME! If he's too hurt to practice he sure as **** can't play in the game!

Put me on the record, I predict Merriman hits the IR in the next two weeks.

5. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074
    just ask the Steelers and the Bengals

6. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703

:no:

7. IFiredCHart

IFiredCHart Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +96
    Well...hmmm...searching for a positive...

...I guess this will make Merriman easier to re-sign? Yeah, I know, I wish he were healthier, too...I am not looking forward to the possibility of playing the Boys without Weddle AND Shawne.

8. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Well we know AJ doesn't like Merriman to begin with, now he's not only is he a headache, but he's unproductive and seems to be injury prone.

So I doubt it. hahaha

9. cranberry

cranberry BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +195

If it's a very good veteran player - a coach can rest him for
    training practices, but give him the possibility to show up on the field on gameday. This doesn't bother me.

If than he is hurt really bad - I think this about Merriman - it was a bad decision to let someone play.

10. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    I said easier, not "more likely" :tdown:.

11. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Castillo, Merriman could return

Monday, December 7, 2009

Norv Turner said to day he is optimistic that defensive end Luis Castillo and outside linebacker Shawne Merriman will practice this week and be able to play Sunday against the Dallas Cowboys.

"I'm optimistic about them, but I understand we could play without both of them," Turner said. "We have to get through a week and see where we’re at."

Merriman, bothered by foot tendinitis, missed his first start this season yesterday in Cleveland. Castillo has not played the past two games with a calf strain.

Turner said center Nick Hardwick is "two or three" weeks from playing after enduring a minor "setback" last week. Hardwick hasn't played since injuring his ankle in the season opener.

12. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hardwick probably needs to be IR'd. He's just wasting roster space at this point, and theres no point trying to get him back in the fold in the middle of the playoffs.

13. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Injury update
    12-8-2009

The Chargers reported just two new injuries following their win in Cleveland. Tackle Marcus McNeill[​IMG] suffered a sprained ankle that doesn’t appear serious but could cause him to miss some practice time, and defensive end Alfonso Boone[​IMG] bruised his knee, an injury that Turner said will likely keep him sidelined a bit at least during the week.
    Safety Eric Weddle[​IMG] (knee) is likely to miss at least another week, but Turner said he’s optimistic that Merriman (foot) and defensive end Luis Castillo[​IMG] (calf) could return
    “I’m hopeful but we have to get through a week and see where they’re at,” Turner said.
    Turner termed it a “long shot” for center Nick Hardwick[​IMG] to return after the Pro Bowler suffered a minor setback last week.

14. IFiredCHart

Ratings:
    +96
    Ugh, setback for Nick...I hope he gets better soon, although Mruz definitely gives me confidence that we can get the job done, anyway.

McNeill I am not worried about--if he can do his job with broken hands, a sprained ankle is nothing. Besides, Dombrowski can been solid, and Runyan could play LT for a game in the event that thinks develop in a worse direction.

15. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    Just put Nick on IR, he won't get healthy in time and he's taking up a roster spot. It's unnecessary

16. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    I someone needs to take a good look and the medical staff we have and the people we retain to treat injured players. Seems there are too many bad decisions made in regard to the IR list and treatment doesn't seem to as effective as on other teams. Injuries linger all too often.

17. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

was it the Medical people?

Did he try and come back to early?

If someone says you will be out for 8 weeks, why arent you at home resting for 8 weeks?

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Bolts Bulletin

Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Given last Sunday off to heal, linebacker Shawne Merriman and defensive end Luis Castillo were back on the practice field today, indication that they'll be playing this Sunday at Dallas. Castillo's calf has improved enough that he was participating in all the early drills before practice was closed while Merriman, who's been battling a foot problem much of the season, was taking part on a more limited basis.

Brandyn Dombrowski continued to work at right offensive tackle with the No. 1 offense while esteemed veteran Jon Runyan, who got his first playing time with the Chargers at Cleveland, practiced as a backup.

19. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    According to Kevin Acee's tweet today, Merriman had a full practice today and is expected to play. He also reports Castillo more than likely will play as well. Being Acee, take it with a grain of salt but that is the latest report that I saw. Phillips sits out of practice today but will play. Boone appears to probably be out.

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Injury updates

By Kevin Acee
    December 10, 2009
    Defensive end Luis Castillo (calf), who sat out the past two games with a calf strain, was back practicing yesterday and is expected to play Sunday.

The list of players withheld from practice was a long one — free safety Eric Weddle (knee), linebacker Shaun Phillips (ankle), defensive linemen Travis Johnson (groin) and Alphonso Boone (knee), receiver Legedu Naanee (foot), center Nick Hardwick (ankle) and guard Kris Dielman, who was attending to the birth of his first child, a boy.

All except Weddle and Hardwick are expected to play Sunday.

21. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    There was some whispers that Boone might not go this week. Anyone heard anything about it?

22. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Only that Acee said that there was a chance he wouldn't go. I'm thinking it must be a game time decision.

23. RM24

RM24 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +264
    I don't think this game is a "gimme". I don't think any game is a gimmie after the Browns made a late run of it last week. This is gonna be a competitive game. But I think our boys will prevail and man up. I just think the x-factor is Romo. I think he will make some big mistakes that will cost his team. Witten is gonna get his yards as all TE's do against us. Just as long as we can contain him. Both have explosive offensive weapons and defenses are above average. It will come down to the 4th qtr definitely. This game is gonna be a war!

24. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    By Kevin Acee, UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Friday, December 11, 2009

The Chargers’ patchwork defensive line, so effective with its almost constant rotation of players, gets end Luis Castillo back Sunday in Dallas.

But it has also taken some hits, with tackle Ogemdi Nwagbuo lost to injured reserve this week and end Alfonso Boone almost certainly out Sunday with a knee bruise.
    So in need of help are the Chargers that they will likely play newly acquired Antonio Garay against the Cowboys.

“He’s got to be ready to help us with that rotation, even if it is only a few plays,” coordinator Ron Rivera said. “Even if it’s just getting him to spell someone would be huge.”
    Since the season’s fifth game, which marked the arrival of Ian Scott and return of Travis Johnson and was Boone’s third game, the Chargers have allowed 50 fewer yards per game than in the first four. And most often dictating the line of scrimmage has set the stage for a better pass rush and better pass defense as well.

But the line’s continued success is dependent on getting most of the linemen off the field at regular intervals and limiting most of them to about 20 plays.
    “It’s a matter of being able to rest a guy for a series or two, getting three or four good plays in a row out of the new guys,” Rivera said.

Rookie Vaughn Martin, “who has really done very well for us the last couple weeks,” Rivera said, will play a couple of dozen snaps. Castillo, in his first game since injuring his calf Nov. 22 at Denver, will likely play at least 40 snaps.

Shawne Merriman participated in his first full practice in three weeks. Said Turner: “I was pleased with what I saw. He was a lot better. I’m anxious to see how he feels (this) morning.”

Outside linebacker Shaun Phillips missed his second straight practice. Phillips has missed at least one day of practice for more than a month, but two has been rare. He is expected to play Sunday.

25. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Cowboys Injury update
    December 11th, 2009

Tight end TE Martellus Bennett has been ruled out of the Cowboys’ Sunday tilt with the San Diego Chargers. Bennett missed practice this week after experiencing concussion-related symptoms. Safety Ken Hamlin and T Marc Colombo are also out.

Listed as probable are RB Deon Anderson (knee), CB Terence Newman (knee), S Gerald Sensabaugh (thumb), LB DeMarcus Ware (wrist) and TE Jason Witten (foot).