1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers intensify focus on potential stadium sites in Oceanside, Chula Vista

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Concudan, May 15, 2007.

1. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Full Article

The Chargers and city officials from Oceanside and Chula Vista are about to enter a new and more intense period of discussions about potential stadium sites. At the same time, the City of National City has announced that it is abandoning its stadium efforts because of the failure to secure cooperation from the City of San Diego and other regional partners.

“Our commitment hasn’t changed since day one,” said Chargers Special Counsel Mark Fabiani. “Our goal is to keep the team in the San Diego region. We have two cities that are very interested in working with us, and we continue exhaustively to explore all of our options in Chula Vista and Oceanside.”

Chargers officials are set to meet with Oceanside officials Tuesday afternoon. Fabiani and Chargers President Dean Spanos have had discussions with potential development partners concerning the concept of building office space around a stadium in Oceanside. The concept is that the private sector revenue generated from the office development would help fund the stadium project. Tuesday’s meeting will involve Oceanside’s city attorney, city manager and city community development director.

Select the link for the full article.

2. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,928
    Outstanding news that this is going beyond the curious stage and entering the actual lets get down to business stage

3. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +715
    Fingers Crossed!
    :helm1:

4. Boltdiehard

Boltdiehard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,171
    It still amazes me how fuced up the local city government is in San Diego. Who's the guy that initiated the recall of G. Davis? He's needed IMO.

Oceanside would be sweet. :tup:

5. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    I am pulling for Oceanside. That would spur development of North County hotels, airp port, public transpertation, and draw fans from Orange, Riverside, LA, and other northern countys.

6. Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan

Carlsbad_Bolt_Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,581
    Same here!

Plus, it'll be 10 minute drive for me. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  7. BFISA

BFISA Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,172
    Keep'em in San Diego, but if theres back sliding...

8. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,886

The Jacumba Bolts sounds good to me.

9. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347

On game day?

10. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I say “Chula Vista is your best bet.”
    Put it by the Coor’s Amplitheater.
    *That way, you can build hotels in that area and people will use them if they come a long way to see a concert too.
    *You can also put up restaurants and bars that people will use before and after concerts and games.
    *It would help Knott’s Soak City too. They can hand out coupons in the parking lot and families will go to the restaurants after a day of swimming.

Best of all, they can put it up without tearing anything down!!
    They got the freeways and exits, so they can just put up things to bring in more tourists.
    Make the Chargers, Coor’s Amplitheater and Knott’s Soak City all go in together got a trolley extention.

Imagine what a great Super Bowl site that would make too!!!
    Live music on Friday and Saturday night at the Coor’s Amplitheater!!!
    Coupon for Knott’s Soak City with purchase of Super Bowl ticket.
    Of course... all kinds of activity in the stadium parking lot.
    And your hotel room is right there!!!

• Like Like x 1
  11. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    I grew up in Oceanside and know the proposed site very well. It is not ideal, but with enough money, anything is possible. To bad the SD governement is so messed up, because I think the current Qualcomm location is still the best option.

• Like Like x 1
  12. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Yeah. If the Oceanside deal works out, I'll be happy.
    It's just not the best option but it's still San Diego county!!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Too bad the City officials are too stupid to see a stadium as a way to get revenue for the City. They will have an empty stadium collecting dust and eating up money and even if they knock it down....it will be costly but hey...they can build that great park the seahag has been talking about.

14. ETicket

ETicket Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +367
    It's beyond my comprehension that the city of SD can be so short-sighted. I know there's been turmoil and scandal amongst the city officials, but come on! They're really ready to lose the only NFL franchise in all of Southern California? I just don't get it.

Does anybody have a clue as to what the city is thinking here... I mean, beyond just saying "we're too messed up to deal with this". Maybe I'm not seeing the whole picture, so please enlighten me if you can.:icon_huh:

• Like Like x 1
  15. smelleyott

smelleyott BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    horrible idea. there's already enough traffic in my area with everyone going down to tj. have you ever tried to get out of that area before/after a concert? imagine that x10. plus with all the dumps and residential area right next to it, i dont think that location would be prime.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Boltjolt

Boltjolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +402
    Seriously....i dont want the stadium anywhere near TJ.

If they cant get it done at the current site, go to Oceanside.

17. MasterOfPuppets

MasterOfPuppets Charger fan since 1979

Ratings:
    +635
    why?

18. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    I second this. Why?

Do you guys who bash the potential CV site have any clue where they are planning on building the new stadium? One of the sites is RIGHT OFF the soon to be completed 125 freeway next to the Olympic Training Center. The 125 will soon alleviate a ton of traffic conjestion in south SD Co that is long overdue.

As for Oceanside, I'm not against it at all, but I don't get the bashing of Chula Vista. Have you guys ever tried taking the 5 North on a weekend? That friggin' freeway is a joke, a constant parking lot from the Sorrento Valley merge all they way up to Pendelton. I definately would not be looking forward to making that trip 10 times a season. There's always the coaster, yeah, if I wanna take even more time to get there.

19. smelleyott

smelleyott BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    other than the fact that the 125 will be a toll road, the olympic site might not be that bad. better than the main street idea that was suggested. you have the 125 running right through the area along with otay lakes road and the 805 for an alternative route. plus it might even bring in more business for that dying mall.

20. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    In my humble opinion, the Qualcomm site is still the best option in San Diego county. It's just to bad that the goverment that runs the city is to messed up to realize it.

21. Concudan

Ratings:
    +4,976
    Dont you mean frat club that runs the city?

22. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Most of us posting here were born here or have family here for the most part but that does not answer your question.

The short answer: "The weather and location sucks"

I was born in Oceanside but that is not why I favor this site over the Chula Vista site.

Thumper nailed it on the present location. Mission Valley is perfect because of the weather and location.

I suspect a few do not know that the weather can be a HUGE difference between Oceanside and lets say Escondido (which is around 15 miles apart west to east). I have been in Oceanside where it was 65 degrees and then in Escondido it is 90+ degrees. The same **** happens going inland anywhere along the coast here in San Diego County. Chula Vista, Lemon Grove, El Cajon, Santee are all shitholes for weather because they are inland (except Chula Vista but the 125 is way inland or encroaching on the ****** zone for weather). Mission Valley creates a micro climate because of the valley which allows cooler temps to get further inland and that is why the Murph works so well.

Oceanside is better suited for summer games versus the 125 area just on weather alone. Basically, anything east of I-15 will suck asss badly for summer games. Who the fuc wants that in Southern California? Not me. :tdown: :no:

As far as demographics to draw from that is a no-brainer. Sheer numbers favors a stadium in North County to draw from adjacent counties to the north. This is about dollars and what makes sense and not about hometown rivalries. Oceanside does not have any high tech multi-level corporate office suites to attract law firms etc etc as a hub between San Diego and Los Angeles.

I was reading another blog site a few days ago where someone anonomously posted that he was a fly on the wall who overheard Bolt top brass hoping Oceanside would pencil out. Again, that last part was all rumor control...........

23. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,746
    Mission Valley isn't gonna happen. The city is too retarded to figure out how to get it's collective thumb out of it's butt and see that they are about to screw themselves big time, but hey, at least the Crypt Keeper can have her park (BUM HAVEN).

As for the 125 site, it's 10 miles inland and sits on a bluff that catches the breeze off the ocean. It's at the most 10 degress different from Imperial Beach to Otay Mesa. I live just east of the mall, it's probably 2 more miles inland, and the temp is maybe 2-5 degrees warmer @ my house than the bluff, only because I live on the backside of the bluff and therefore don't get quite the breeze as they do at the mall. Try again.

Also, no one has bother to answer my concern of the 5 north of the merge being a horribly congested freeway.

edit: One more thing: Build it too close to the ocean and have to deal with the breezes and wind swirling through the stadium.

I can't believe you're complaining about the WEATHER in San Diego Co. We have arguably the best weather IN THE WORLD. Build the stadium in Ocotillo then cry.

24. boltssbbound

boltssbbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +1,554
    The 5 North won't be too big of a problem if you're heading South after the game. In the morning, when people would be traveling to the game, the 5 North won't be all that bad.

Regarding the ocean breezes, as someone who has sailed up and down the California coast quite a bit, I can tell you that the wind off Oceanside/San Diego is rarely so strong that it would effect the game.

25. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    Anything east of I-15 will suckasss. You and me and the Chargers know it. Nobody seems to be thrilled at the prospects of moving further inland. It just does not make sense and certainly going further south away from the larger target market....??? That is not smart business.

If it were your money, how would you spend it to max out your returns ?

Oceanside or Chula Vista ?

Traffic is not solely limited to I-5 either.

Highways 76 and 78 from inland I-15 are feeding this area plus the new Sprinter will run from Escondido to Oceanside and is already being tested at 60-70 MPH as we speak. Passengers should be riding in a few months from now or by the end of this year from what I read. Sunday traffic on these roads are easy driving.

How long would it take to put a trolley spur in the area of 125 versus the Sprinter which is being tested?

I see a lot of beach clam bakes, tailgaters, boogie boarding and then a 5 minute ride to the stadium in Oceanside for a football game. The warm water jetty area of Carlsbad or Oceanside are perfect. I do not get these chubbies with Chula Vista.

26. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If you thought I 5 was bad now.......................

27. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,072
    If it did go to Oceanside, Then the LA element would be great, they could have all their Super Bowl parties up in LA then just a short jaunt down the 5 and bam you are at the Stadium for the game.

28. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    My question "why?" was in reference to the statement "I don't want it near TJ" (or something like that), why include TJ? why not say "I want it further north to pull fans from orange county" or "I want it west so it's close to the beach" :icon_shrug:

29. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    It would also now take someone living in south bay area 45 minutes to get to a game without traffic. It's just my opinion, but the San Diego Chargers belong in San Diego.

30. MasterOfPuppets

Ratings:
    +635
    Ain't gonna happen, we should be happy with anything in San Diego county, and they'll still be known as the San Diego Chargers.

Also, fans will travel from the south to the games, I don't think that fans in Chula Vista will say "screw it, I'm not going to the games anymore because is too far away"