1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers Interested In Double Deck Waterfront Stadium

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Thumper, Jul 24, 2008.

1. Thumper

Thumper WHS

Ratings:
    +1,467
    What does everyone think? Should they put a stadium on San Diego Bay near Petco Park?

2. ChargerJeff

ChargerJeff Boltaholic

Ratings:
    +352
    When I first read this, I couldn't believe.

Vire would be very cool.

I'm no genious, but I don't know how I would feel about working under an entire stadium in earthquake country?

Where would we tailgate?

3. SanDiegoRon

SanDiegoRon BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +321
    I hear Petco has plenty of available empty space....

• Like Like x 1
  4. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Anywhere in San Diego County is fine by me.

Put it in Santee or Alpine for all I care.

Just keep them here!!!!!

5. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    Wow....

This is almost funny to me. We vote yes for them to build a big structure that supposedly won't impact our wallets (excluding ripple effect) and there is an outside chance they will let the Chargers build a stadium on top of it. I want to laugh and cheer and scratch my head in dumbfoundedness all at once.

• Like Like x 1
  6. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,931
    This just screams BAD IDEA; in part for what powder and jeff mentioned. In another part, has anyone considered the WEIGHT REQUIREMENTS of hundreds of cars, buildings and about 70,000 people? and to put all that on top of a marine terminal? I love the idea of building next to petco and admit its a cool idea, but this reminds me a little too much of the Big Dig in Boston, something that just screams problems.

7. WonderSlug

WonderSlug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +851
    Is this the same Peter Gallagher that used to be a San Diego Superior Court Judge?

http://www.signonsandiego.com/uniontrib/20050316/news_1m16kourosh.html

Hmmmm....

8. Osmekaman

Osmekaman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +31
    Who cares what it screams.
    LA bad
    San Diego good

Please don't leave. I would have extreme abandonment issues.

9. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    Wasn't this one of the proposed sites for the Padres? I think it can be done .. it is interesting that this doesn't die. Honestly, I think I'd like for us to start using that space to expand our maritime freight to compete with other West Coast cities .. but, I could be persuaded.. :D Anything to keep the Bolts in town.

10. sdbound

sdbound Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +942
    **** a new stadium when we can get a new City Hall that looks like this,

[​IMG]

It's about time to get the torches and pitchforks.

11. Showmeyourbolt

Showmeyourbolt Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +192
    I'd love to see a new stadium in downtown, but I don't know how plausible the deck idea is. I love how Seattle has their two pro ball parks next to each other in downtown, and it's too bad that San Diego can't figure out a way to do the same thing. This is Seattle's set up:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. SDRaiderH8er

SDRaiderH8er Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +2,074

From an Engineering standpoint, it would be right up there with the World Trade Centers, the bottom level would never see the sun if you were in the center.

13. Savage Lizard

Savage Lizard Charger fan at 7000'

Ratings:
    +984
    ****, I watched a show where there were mining salt from BENEATH one of the great lakes. A lake weighs a shitload, and they were tunneling underneath it to mine salt. Blew me away.

14. Daddy_O

Daddy_O Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +300
    If it makes it to the ballot, shoot it down. The Civic Center Buildings downtown are in fine shape. They get no new buildings. :icon_evil:

15. turbo_turtle

turbo_turtle In Disguise

Ratings:
    +890
    No new Buildings unless there is a new Stadium. :icon_evil:

Put that on the ballot. :yes:

• Like Like x 1
  16. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    I dunno. Sounds like an engineering nightmare to me, especially given California's propensity for earthquakes. :icon_shrug:

17. ChefBolt

ChefBolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +0
    LMAO!

I had the same reaction, it would be an engineering marvel for sure!

I say go for it!

18. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542

Just about any city that I can think of that put the a football stadium next to a baseball ball park in their downtown area has been successful BUT success doesn't come without problems. Would Petco, Convention Center, Gaslamp businesses, and the new Chargers stadium all be willing to pitch in for traffic problems?

Think of this... From events at Convention Center, open up the parking lot at Petco and the new stadium.
    Any regular night, have all those parking lots open (especially for something like Mardi Graw.)

IMO, that won't take away from trolley business BUT now that they're in competition.... run the trolleys after 2:00am. People will still use the trolley to avoid DUI's.

19. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    You mean during the baseball season, don't you? :icon_banana:

20. reddenedbeard

reddenedbeard Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +112
    SNORE .. this is always the 1st excuse to any stadium being built. Parking for sure would need to be addressed but there is always (ALWAYS) going to be traffic problems with any stadium you put up.. There is no way around it.

21. DjChemical

DjChemical BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +6
    The port of san diego is joke. They hardly get any cargo here as it is. so them saying it would lose jobs is BS.

22. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    Which is true. I for most part really don't care. Especially when you looking at 10-12 days (mostly Sundays) a year.

I look at how things wend for Comic Con this weekend. ALL hotels were sold out. A friend of mine got all day parking for $15 but most people used the Trolley and they had trolleys that went directly to the convention center.
    Now if you're not going to Comic Con, this would not be a good weekend to go DownTown but it ALL worked out really good!!!
    So things should be able to work out just as well with a Down Town Stadium.

Though I would suggest in the future to make better access from that whole area (Petco, Convention Center, and a possible NFL stadium) to 163 BUT, that could be done after the new stadium.

23. SD_Jake

SD_Jake BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +2
    No matter where the new stadium goes, Tailgating will go away for all but those that can afford $50-60 parking. Just look at Padre games as an example of where tailgating is headed

24. BOLTS4LIFE

BOLTS4LIFE Banned Banned

Ratings:
    +542
    I'm afraid you're right but they cold do cool things with a DownTown stadium.

I say on game day, close all of fifth and fourth avenue off to traffic. Set up some street vendors, entertainment, and allow people to walk from place to place with their drink in their hand.

Also, imagine what a great Super Bowl experience that would make with that atmosphere with a bay from stadium and the convention center to go with it. How cool would if be to have a hotel in Gaslamp quarter for the Super Bowl?!!!!

25. PowderLove

PowderLove Former Mod, Current Slacker

Ratings:
    +494
    I wouldn't know where to tailgate for a Padres game if I wanted to, so I imagine it doesn't happen much. They probably want us going to the bars and restaurants in the area instead.

26. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    This project with a stadium on it is a disaster waiting to happen. The pollutants have been left to sit under the silt built up on the floor of the bay. The toxic stew this would stir up would be mind boggling. I have to agree, also, with the earthquake danger. If there was even partial liquefaction of the sediment in the bay, the collapse of the whole structure would be unavoidable. You still have to account for the inevitable rise in sea levels. This project is also a regulatory nightmare, ripe for massive (as in truly massive) cost overruns, construction delays caused by unforeseen problems and a massive impact on the surrounding urban core because of traffic. The Charger and Padre seasons overlap, there are convention center activities and other things that happen from time to time. Access would be a nightmare, judging from what it was like for Comicon, from what a couple of cabbies told me.

27. TBF

TBF BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +148
    Engineers are making things happen world wide these days. Take a look at what they did in Dubai. Hell just watch one of discovery channels 50 stations. If you want it, engineers can make it happen...

Access is really no big deal either. Getting in and out of downtown isn't what it used to be. Learn the roads and go with the flow...San Diegans are blessed with a 16, 000 spot parking lot @ the Q. This is not the norm. Most don't have half of those spots. I have been to 2 Padre playoff games and was able to get out of Petco easier than the Q.... A stadium at the Port would be AWESOME, and the drive from Temecula would be a little longer but more enjoyable. I can tailgate anywhere or I can hit a bar/restuarant down town... Just keep um here.

28. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556

Well if the Chargers stadium falls into the Pacific Ocean at least it will be in San Diego.:yes:

If it wasn't physically possible I doubt they wouldn't even suggest it.