1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!
    Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers.
    We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season.

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!

Chargers invade MCAS Miramar

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 17, 2009.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    The Chargers held practice Wednesday on the base at MCAS Miramar and got the chance to thank the hundreds of service men and women in attendance for their service to the country.

Casey Pearce
    Posted Jun 17, 2009

As Chargers players and staff made their way around the grounds of Marine Corps Air Station Miramar Wednesday, they were bombarded by marines and sailors stopping to thank them for coming and wish them well on the upcoming season.

While they were appreciative of the kind words, it was the Chargers who were just as thankful and appreciative.

“It’s our pleasure to have a chance to show our appreciation for your service and all the hard work you do for us,” Chargers Executive Vice President – Executive Officer A.G. Spanos told the crowd.
    The Chargers held their second-to-last Offseason Coaching Session practice Wednesday at Miramar, marking the third-consecutive year that San Diego’s team has had a chance to visit the base that is located just a few miles north of Chargers Park.

The past two summers, the team held a walk-through practice at MCAS Miramar prior to a preseason game. Wednesday’s event lasted a longer and gave those in attendance more football action while providing the players with a nice break in their routine.

“It always adds something when you practice in front of the fans, and it’s rewarding to get to entertain people that do so much for us,” quarterback Billy Volek[​IMG] said. “A lot of the people out here just returned from overseas or have family members who are gone right now. If we can provide a little distraction to some of those stresses, that’s a good feeling.”

Four marines received the unique opportunity to get on the field with the Chargers during practice. Donnie Gilroy, who played quarterback for a year at SMU, got a chance to toss a few balls to Chargers wide receivers, and Matthew Patience and Andrew Cordero went through individual drills with the defensive backs and wide receivers, respectfully.

Also during the individual period, linebackers coach John Pagano stepped aside and let Drill Instructor Darrick Jordan lead Larry English[​IMG] and company through a few drills. Midway through the session, Jordan gave the linebackers a little tough love when he made the group stop and do a set of pushups.

“They were looking kind of nasty and they were moving kind of slow,” Jordan said. “We fixed that. It was an awesome experience getting to work with them. The Chargers were here in appreciation of us and what we do as Marines. We’re grateful for that.”

For English, Jordan’s drills provided the second small taste of military life he received this week. On Tuesday, English along with cornerback Antoine Cason[​IMG], A.G. Spanos and Chargers Director of College Scouting John Spanos boarded at jet fighter simulator in which they attempted to navigate and land planes.

“I landed on an aircraft carrier and I had a pretty good showing out there,” English said. “I will say that I’ve got a lot of respect for those guys. Even the simulator was a challenge. It was stressful in there. I can’t imagine actually being in an airplane in those situations when the consequences are real. That created a whole new level of respect for those guys that are able to do that.”

Once practice concluded, the Chargers spent nearly a half hour signing autographs for the military personnel and their families and the 2009 Charger Girls delivered their first public performance. Players spent a particularly long time visiting with a group of “Wounded Warriors,” men and women who were recently injured in battle.

Col. David Myers, Commanding Officer at MCAS Miramar, presented the Chargers with a framed photo collage commemorating the team’s prior visits to the base, and Spanos gladly reciprocated by giving Myers a framed #17 jersey autographed by Philip Rivers[​IMG].

“It’s an honor to have the Chargers with us and we’re so appreciative of everything they do,” Myers said. “I’m sitting by my bar waiting for football season to start. I’m pulling for them.”

2. TheLash

TheLash Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +714
    Awesome story!:flag: