1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' Jackson may be on the table

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, Jun 29, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

By Kevin Acee , UNION-TRIBUNE STAFF WRITER
    Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Vincent Jackson might not be a Charger for long.
    No one is predicting he will shipped off soon, and it does not appear other teams have been officially notified the Pro Bowl receiver is on the trading block. But several sources confirmed the Chargers talked with the Seattle Seahawks earlier this month and have made it known Jackson will remain available.
    The Seahawks maintain interest, as do “several other teams,” according to one source. Among those teams, sources said, are the Washington Redskins. It is not known whether the Redskins have spoken to the Chargers regarding Jackson.
    Two league sources said it was the Chargers who declined the Seahawks’ overtures. However, the price to secure Jackson could be a deterrent as well. Any team trading for Jackson will also have to sign him to a long-term deal.
    Numerous sources indicated teams are already aware of the type of money Jackson and his agents are looking for — a slight bump up from the four-year, $47.5 million deal Brandon Marshall received when he was traded from the Denver Broncos to the Miami Dolphins in April.
    Jackson and left tackle Marcus McNeill are unhappy with the tenders they received as restricted free agents and are not planning on reporting to the Chargers until late in the season. Both declined to sign their one-year tenders of more than $3 million before June 15 and had their offers reduced by more than $2.5 million. Sources close to both players said they are committed to sitting out through the season’s 10th game, after which they would report in order to receive credit for an accrued season.
    Chargers General Manager A.J. Smith, who is on vacation, has said repeatedly the team is moving on without Jackson and McNeill. Smith said on June 15 that the Chargers “lost a couple of great players today, and it hurts.”
    It is known the Chargers are interested in signing McNeill to a long-term deal at some point, though that almost certainly won’t come until after they have at least attempted to extend tight end Antonio Gates, whose contract expires after the 2010 season.
    Jackson, however, may have worn out his welcome in San Diego after following up two DUIs and a pending suspension (of one to four games) with his current contract stance.
    While sources familiar with the Chargers’ intentions said McNeill will not be traded, the team will listen to offers for Jackson through the Oct. 19 trading deadline.
    While playing on a team where he is not the quarterback’s most frequent target, Jackson’s 2,265 yards over the past two seasons are 11th-highest in the NFL. But his 17.8 yards per catch are by far the highest among players with more than 100 receptions. His 16 touchdown catches in the 2008-09 seasons ranked seventh in the NFL.
    Rather than waiting for Jackson to show up and then not knowing at what level he will play, the Chargers could receive draft picks, players or both in exchange for a player who is coming to be known as one of the league’s most dangerous weapons.
    While the Chargers could use the franchise tag on Jackson in 2011, they would likely prefer to have that available in case they can’t come to terms with McNeill.
    For Marshall, the Broncos received a second-round pick in this year’s draft and a second-rounder in 2011. Marshall, the primary target on a less-productive offense, is one of just two players to top 100 catches the past three seasons. Over the past two seasons, he has the same number of touchdown catches and 120 more yards than Jackson.

2. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    So long, VJ.

Let's hope Floyd or one of the other guys can step it up. VJ made this all too easy for AJ to ship him out.

3. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    No way he's getting that from us. Goodbye V.J.
    :tdown:

4. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Like I posted in another thread, I wonder exactly how much of that Brandon Marshall contract he's trying to mirror... i.e. how amenable he is to the same "you get another league suspension in the 1st 3 years of this new contract and you lose a significant chunk of your guaranteed money" clause, because while he wants to cite monetary precedent based on BM's contract, there's also other disciplinary precedent that was set by said contract too.

If we ship him, send him to the NFC and let him see how well he functions without a QB whose longball accuracy isn't as pinpoint as Phillip's is (he may not have a cannon, but he does have a sniper rifle). I think it was Retired Catholic who put it best on here... VJ is definitely a Top 15 WR in the league, but he's likely more in the 10-15 range without the difference of an elite QB than he is in the 6-10 or certainly 1-5 range.

Thing is, on the teams that have expressed interest there really aren't many players (past depth guys) who I'd have a terrible amount of interest in having even if they did bring a high draft pick with them. Haynesworth is just as much of a headache (even if we played him at DE; and I'd say Washington would want this trade just as much to unload Al as to pick up VJ), I doubt Carroll's going to part with Housh (who is a natural #2 in the Chambers in his prime, McCardell way) to acquire VJ.

5. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    Does VJ deserve Brandon Marshall money:icon_shrug:? He has had one good year. Show me another good year without a DUI then we will talk.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Ride The Lightning

Ride The Lightning Join the Dark Side, we have cookies.

Ratings:
    +1,748
    NO to the first part, yes to the second.

7. LV Bolt Fan

LV Bolt Fan Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +432
    Yes to both parts. :yes:

8. The LBC

The LBC I'm a Real Prick

Ratings:
    +1,394
    Pretty much. I've been of the opinion that VJ's on and off-field maturity issues were grounds enough to kill him being given the benefit of the doubt of not having to prove he can keep his nose clean (or rather his rap sheet) before he recoups a big contract. Does he run the risk of injury (or a season that wasn't as good as his most recent) wrecking the amount that contract is for? Yes, of course he does. But if he's mostly got himself to blame at the moment, because if he was a clean-character, high-leadership guy on this team he likely would have secured his extension before he even hit restricted free agency.

9. HEXEDBOLT

HEXEDBOLT Don't like it, lump it!!!

Ratings:
    +1,887
    Trade Jackson for Tomlinson and a #1. :icon_rofl:

10. matilack

matilack Take A Knee McCree!!!

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Think of the contracts we've disposed of lately....AJ traded Chambers and Cromartie, he let Tomlinson, Williams, and Manu walk, and its highly doubtfull that Merriman and Sproles are going to get long term deals.

By the end of the 2010 season in guaranteed money alone, thats WELL over $20 million cut from the payroll, not including Cooper and Burnett who are also in their final year.

We have the cash! I just hope this is the CBA situation affecting AJ's moves, and not the Chargers turning into the Padres by cutting spending.

11. nflhof

nflhof BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +96
    All this talk and rumors mean this to me. VJ and his agent are starting to sweat. I think AJ is on vacation so he sure as hell isn't making any calls to anyone. VJ must be putting the pressure on his representatives to make anything happen. These guys know what the hell is going on and that aint much right now. There is no way VJ misses any paychecks this year excpect for a possible suspension. The Redskins yeah ok!!

12. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Report: Shanahan "a big fan" of Vincent Jackson

Posted by Evan Silva on June 29, 2010 8:57 PM ET

[​IMG]

Somewhat buried at the end of a Tuesday blog post by ESPN's Bill Williamson is some juicy information on Mike Shanahan's background with Vincent Jackson, for whom Shanahan's Redskins are rumored to be contemplating a trade.

According to Williamson, Shanahan has been "a big fan" of Jackson dating back to the 2005 NFL Draft, when Shanahan's Broncos reportedly considered selecting the eventual Pro Bowl receiver. Williamson was covering the Broncos for the Denver Post at the time, so he's a credible source.

Williamson says Jackson was next on Shanahan's draft board when the Broncos selected the late Darrent Williams with the 56th overall pick. Jackson, who played at Northern Colorado, was drafted 61st overall by San Diego, "and the Broncos were not happy about it."

Jackson was relatively slow to develop in San Diego, but went on to post games of 95, 73, and 77 yards against Shanahan's Denver teams during the 2007 and 2008 seasons.

Interestingly, Williamson also "heard" that left tackle Marcus McNeill "may not be as dead set as Jackson on holding out for the long haul." Both players have threatened to sit out through Week Ten of the regular season.

13. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    takes two teams to tango. Some team has to give the chargers good compensation and I'm sure he'll be gone. But not until.

I'm actuallly surprised some teams haven't already tried to deal for him. A.j. likes to stretch things out to get more for the merchandise is all I can think of is happening.

14. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I personally believe the slowness to sign mcneil to a long term deal is mcneils health. Even mcneil was complaining about his health in an interview I heard from him. We all know he has a deterorating spine problem. How many years does mcneil really have left is the question.

I will not be surprised that our first pick next year is a new left tackle.

15. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Hmmm...passing on Michael Oher is looking like a stupider and stupider move by the day.:unsure:

McNeil started out looking like a Jonathan Ogden clone his rookie year, and he hasn't looked as good since. I wonder if his spine is the cause, or is he just lazy, or maybe he's a better fit for RT.

16. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    I've thought of that for a while about getting micheal oher. But I'm guessing you can't look two years into the future.

The interview I heard from mcneil he was complaining alot about playing through pain and such. I've got to think the chargers must be aware of his condition. Otherwise they'd have signed him long term a while ago. Good Left tackles after qb's are the ones you try to get signed long term first.

17. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    The Ravens didn't need him anymore than we did, yet they traded up to get him, and now they have one of the best O-lines in the NFL.

He's one of those guys who shouldn't even have fallen to us, and we took a 2nd round caliber OLB instead, and its going to piss me off until English proves he was worth it by recording 10+ sacks and an assload of hurries.

18. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    He could have started on the right side, where we did have a fair need and then moved left if McNeil was hurting and McNeil could have switched places.

19. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556
    Exactly, yet AJ wanted to put his faith in Jerome Clary...which turned out to be a major fail.

20. foober

foober BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +200
    Its hard to look at it in hindsight. But yes that would have been a very smart move getting oher. My other grievance was not taking olb woodley instead of wr davis in the draft before which would have filled our olb situation for years and then we could have gone in another direction in which oher might have been a possibility.

Its all hind sight. But its a pain to think about what could have been.

Got to give A.j. credit for this last draft though. He actually did better than I think I could have hoped for. Landing - matthews, butler, stuckey and then our big guy thomas filled alot of needs for this year and the future.

21. matilack

Ratings:
    +3,556

Thats not the same thing though. When the 07' draft rolled around we already had Phillips and Merriman at OLB. What we needed unanimously was a #1 WR to replace McCardell and Parker and take pressure off of LT from doing all the work. We had no other major holes, except maybe nickle corner after losing Florence too.

Going into the 09' draft RT was arguably our biggest issue, followed closely by ILBs and RBs. Yet AJ went with a luxury pick, taking a 3rd OLB to send a message to Merriman. It was dumb, and until English proves otherwise its going to be a dumb pick.

22. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    they have to move jackson for the simple reason that the Chargers and Jackson are both playing chicken and neither wants to be the first to blink. Jackson won't play for us, this year or after, and the Chargers won't pay him, this year or after, so the hell with it.

trade him, get either two #2s (like Denver got for Marshal) or a #1 whatever you can get the most for him, and then just end this insanity

23. Ray Dahayder

Ray Dahayder BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +33
    I feel this is probably true. VJ has proven himself to be a liability as far as character is concerned. Not that he's a violent type or gets into gun battles, but the DUI stuff and getting pulled over and arrested on the day of the playoffs..... c'mon. But, what has caught my attention with him is the way he shakes his head and does his little "hush" signs with his finger after making catches. Just seems like there is a big ego in there waiting to become the next "T.O." problem child. I like Floyd because this guy catches anything near him and just gets up and walks back to where he needs to go..... no antics, no prancing, no "look at me" BS. You know AJ gets a hard on for those types of players.

• Like Like x 1
  24. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    I agree, I think VJ is done in SD. The only bad thing about trading him is that it sets the precedent that a player can "T.O." his way into a trade if he wants out.

25. SDBoltzFan

SDBoltzFan BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +10
    I agree with the others that say VJ needs to be traded. No way he will get the kind of money he wants from the Bolts. Lets move him and get something rather than losing him for nothing in the near future.

26. AnteaterCharger

AnteaterCharger Calibrating Bolttalk, Podcast by Podcast Staff Member Super Moderator Podcaster

Ratings:
    +2,930
    That policy was long ago set by Terell Owens when he forced his way out of both San Francisco and Philadelphia. Numerous stars have forced their ways out of cities by refusing to play for that team for any number of reasons, let's not pretend that the VJ case is all of a sudden unique and a dangerous precedent. If anything paying him and giving him what he wants sets a far worse, immediate precedent.

27. Buck Melanoma

Buck Melanoma Guest

Ratings:
    +408
    Send him to Cutler.

28. Chargers-Superhero

Chargers-Superhero Just win the Damn SB !!!

Ratings:
    +117
    If VJ isn't currently signed, how can we trade him??? I'm missing the fine print on this I guess. If he is now a free agent, can't he just sign elsewhere since he didn't sign his tender???

What's the thing I'm missing on this, because it seems like we couldn't trade him if he's not signed. :icon_huh:

29. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    We still hold his rights as a tendered restricted free agents. A team that wants to trade for him would have to come to an agreement with us while at the same time having preliminary discussions with VJ to ensure that they will be able to sign him to a long-term contract. Knowing he had a trade and a new deal on the way, VJ would no doubt beat his best 40 time running to the table to sign his tender.

30. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    Did you get your information from the Bleacher Report... :lol:

Bears among teams interested in Vincent Jackson

Posted by Gregg Rosenthal on June 30, 2010 12:22 PM ET

We're only surprised that every NFL team isn't considering making a run at Vincent Jackson.

The Chargers sound oddly open to dealing the big play threat, and ESPN's Adam Schefter has identified at least three teams discussing going after Jackson. We knew about the Redskins and Seahawks. Schefter adds the Bears to the mix.

The Bears talked all offseason about how much they love their receiver group, but Jay Cutler could use a physical, alpha dog to throw to. That's where the union stops making sense.

Jackson doesn't fit the profile of a typical Mike Martz receiver and Bears G.M. Jerry Angelo said previously he's out of the business of trading away future draft picks.

Jackson will inevitably cost a high pick or two in addition to another monster contract. Angelo and Lovie Smith are going for broke in what could be their last year together, but doesn't ownership draw the line financially somewhere?