1. Welcome to San Diego Chargers NFL Football Podcast and Forum!

Bolt Talk is one of the largest online communities for the San Diego Chargers. We host a regular Chargers podcast during the season. You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user.

Create an Account or

Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions. Furthermore, we hide most of the ads once you register as a member!
    Dismiss Notice

Chargers' Jacob Hester looks forward to camp, Year 3

Discussion in 'Chargers Fan Forum' started by Johnny Lightning, May 25, 2010.

1. Johnny Lightning

Johnny Lightning Go Bolts

Ratings:
    +1,703
    [​IMG]

May 25, 2010

Everywhere Jacob Hester has played football has given him an appreciation for his third season at that particular establishment.
    Whether it was Evangel Christian Academy or LSU, Hester has been given an opportunity to perform and, literally, run with it.
    "It seems like everywhere I've been in my career, it's the same story," the current San Diego Chargers running back said. "For the first two years I've been somewhere then the third year's been different. In high school, I was playing defense and moved to running back. At LSU, I was playing fullback and moved to running back. This year, I'm not sure what my role is going to be. If I do the same things I did last year, I'll be happy with it. Having a chance to be a starter in the NFL, even if it's not at running back, I just love being out there with the guys we have."
    One guy Hester will not have around anymore is LaDainian Tomlinson, the NFL's active leading rusher. Tomlinson's nine-year tenure with the Chargers came to an end early in the offseason when he signed with the New York Jets.
    Tomlinson's departure and the subsequent drafting of Fresno State's Ryan Mathews with the 12th overall pick marked a shift in the Chargers backfield and in Hester's responsibilities around the San Diego complex.
    "When I came in, (Tomlinson) was one of the greatest running backs of all-time," Hester said. "I just wanted to learn everything I could from him and I did. He taught me a lot of good stuff. Coming into this offseason, I'm the second-oldest guy in the room besides Darren Sproles. It's a little different feel, being an older guy. I think we have four rookies in and they're asking if they can watch film with me.
    "It's a weird feeling, being a veteran guy now, but it's fun. We had a lot of good days with LT, but he's moved on and we've moved on and are going in a good direction."
    Hester's foundation, the Hester Sports Foundation, is trending upward as well.
    The foundation has three events scheduled for a two-week span in July. Hester's busy time in his hometown begins July 5-7 with the Jacob Hester Football Camp at Calvary, a ***** shoot set for July 10 at Shreveport Gun Club and the Landers Dodge Hester Sports Foundation National 7-on-7 Tournament at Cargill Park on July 15-17.
    Among the players joining Hester, 25, for the camp are former LSU stars Richard Dickson, Darry Beckwith and Charles Scott. Hester also is working on adding a current Chargers player to the rotation. The purple-and-gold tint for the current camp roster is not by accident.
    "If you look at LSU's roster 10 years ago, there was a lot of Shreveport guys," said Hester, whose comments Saturday night at a foundation fund-raiser included the line "I want to bring LSU back to Shreveport."
    "You had the Booty brothers. You had Reggie Robinson from Fair Park. You had different guys from Shreveport at LSU. I want to make it where these kids are coming to this camp, learning football, getting into high school programs and establishing themselves. Let's send some Shreveport kids back down to LSU," Hester said.
    "There's great high school football here. Hopefully, they'll come to the camp, get good instruction and end up at LSU, or if not LSU, a good program. I want Shreveport to get on the map and let these kids be able to do the things I've been able to do. That's important to me and my family. It's something I've talked about wanting to be able to do and, hopefully this will accomplish that."
    Once Hester returns to San Diego, however, there will be one thing on his mind — finishing what he and his Chargers teammates started last year.
    San Diego ended the regular season with an 11-game winning streak to earn a first-round bye in the AFC playoffs. In their first playoff game, the Chargers were stunned by the New York Jets.
    Two more wins would have pitted the Chargers against the New Orleans Saints, Hester's childhood favorite team.
    "Usually, we'll have a big party and watch the Super Bowl," Hester said. "This year, with us being such a good team, being 13-3, getting a first-round bye and not being able to get there and having my childhood team get there, it was kind of a bittersweet feeling.
    "Hopefully, we can get over the hump and get to the big game. It will take a lot of hard work between now and then."

http://www.shreveporttimes.com/article/20100525/SPORTS/5250345/1031/SPORTS0301

2. Chavez

Chavez Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +37
    Hope he enjoys it, it could be his last.

3. Chargerfn909

Chargerfn909 High and tight kid, high and tight!

Ratings:
    +34
    lmao, sorry Hester fan boys but I really hope it is. He's a pretty good ST player at BEST.

4. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    He's the next Hanik Milligan. That's all.

Good luck to him all the same.

5. Rainman

Rainman BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +126
    Hester has a much better attitude than Hanik Milligan did.

And I don't recall Milligan getting two special teams scores in one season, either. :no:

6. Zeus

Zeus BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +83
    I don't know why people want him gone so badly.

If he does poorly this year as a starter than he will be resigned for a low salary. Being a great special teamers, one of our best, and a F-back that is only getting better is just more reason to keep him.

He will probably be with the Chargers for a while. Get used to it.

7. charger1993

charger1993 bad motherfucker

Ratings:
    +162
    get him gone. i want the new kid in training camp

8. Retired Catholic

Retired Catholic BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +347
    Been hard to figure out why we moved up to get him.

9. reef shark

reef shark BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +49
    mcneal and cory jackson will make the team

10. Dublin Bolt

Dublin Bolt BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +505
    I'm pretty sure he has a much better attitude alright, but he's a top special teams performer nothing more unfortunately. We gave up far too much to get him imho. He has not panned out into what was intended in terms of offensive production.

11. Bergo23

Bergo23 BoltTalker

Ratings:
    +22
    quite frankly, we haven't NEEDED the offensive production, and he is worth it if he replaces Osgood as our annual special teams ace/pro bowler.

12. sdchrger

sdchrger Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +820
    That's true. But it's also the reason why people bang on him so much. If he were an UDFA, I suspect he would be a fan favorite due to his work ethic and attitude. He would be a modern day Hank Bauer. Because AJ gave up so much to get him he is considered a bust and is one of the most disliked players on the team by many Charger fans.

If you want to blame someone, blame AJ. It's not Hester's fault that we traded up to get him. He'll never be a all-pro running back in the league but he does add value to the team.

13. Concudan

Concudan Caffeinated Commando

Ratings:
    +4,979
    Very well put bro. :tup:

14. Thread_Killer

Thread_Killer Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +680
    Good points. Jacob Hester performs many roles for us (special teams, backup Fullback, 4th string Running Back).

He definitely should be on the 53 man roster.

15. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    looks like you two kissed and made up... :lol:

:icon_tease:

16. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820
    It's been so long that I have forgotten. Are Conc and I supposed to be fighting? :icon_shrug:

17. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    See what happens when you get old... :lol:

18. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    This means :icon_tease: just kidding... :SDC:

19. sdchrger

Ratings:
    +820

:SDC: <- This smiley was named after me and brings back so many fond memories. :lol:

Anywhoo, I was just making sure that I'm not hurting my forum rep around here by being social with Conc. :thumbup:

20. Johnny Lightning

Ratings:
    +1,703
    I know you have to be careful when you socialize with guys like Conc... :lol:

21. Trumpet_Man

Trumpet_Man Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +654
    No way man. I saw Hank Bauer play in person and that dude was SPECIAL. The guy played with reckless abandon on every play. The dude was a freak and a party animal. No way is Hester in the same league as Hank Bauer. You should cut your tongue out and feed it to the pigs for drawing such a comparison. :yes:

22. CoronaDoug

CoronaDoug Well-Known Member

Ratings:
    +814
    :tup: